Garrett Cowboys for life

khiladi

Reaction score
To your final point about Wade/Callahan, I sometimes wonder if coaches around the league do not respect Garrett because he did not put in the grunt work like they did and that makes it difficult for him to find competent assistant coaches.

Lacewell was the guy that pushed for Kiffen. So these are the guys in Jerry's ears.

I think Jerry wants to win, but a particular group gets in his ears when any prospective change can alter their cushy jobs. It took one year of Callahan improving the line for Jerry to promote him to play caller. But then Jason got involved, because he was worried that his whole playbook was being trashed for Callahan's West Coast. The year Jerry promoted Callahan was the after Romo and Witten were yelling at Garrett on the sidelines.

So Jerry, without firing Jason, has tried to keep him away from sucking up. The problem is, we have no real leadership or direction and it keeps dragging us down. I think the other thing that screws us is Jerry's desire to say he did it with his choices to win, without Jimmy. To this day that probably drives him so I don't think he wants a strong personality as assistant head coaches or any coach in general.

I mean how Callahan left rubbed levtye wrong way. I don't even see the same creative zone blocking schemes we use to run with him. It's like we are back to just man blocking. I live in DC and watch the Commanders line more than I'd like, but they look dominant and flying all over the place.m, when they pull and run to the outside and everything looks so clean and crisp.

And believe me, the Commanders off season was disastrous.

khiladi

Reaction score
And this whole tenure of Garrett's, to protect him, the shift has always been on the defense's 'inability to perform', even when his basic offense was turning the ball over thirty times a season.

Preoccupied

Reaction score
I have come to the realization that Garrett is Cowboys coach for life. At least Jerry's lifetime. I know it's not a surprise too most.

I would love to see Garrett really coach when things are looking down & coach this team to the playoffs.

First point of the op.
Then his life expectancy is in the hands of someone in a position they should be released from....that sounds fun already........

Next point.
Things are down atm ....it's on garret for a fix.

Summary to the op.

Let's see operation cowboys to the play offs then...don't hold your breath.....but then again add a splash of positivity so you can beat your chest with a "told you so" should we go 9-7 and sneak in

khiladi

Reaction score
When Jimmy was here, the ferocity in his eyes was evident every game. And he had a reputation of a domineering presence that even the announcers would talk about it.

It was such a thing of beauty. He revolutionized the NFL with us drafting and brought the speedy side to side LBs to the game and they flew everywhere. Free agency robbed this team when he left.

His imprint was on this whole team.

Those who watched him truly will be embarrassed with this clown on the sidelines now.

Zordon

Reaction score
Lacewell was the guy that pushed for Kiffen. So these are the guys in Jerry's ears.

I think Jerry wants to win, but a particular group gets in his ears when any prospective change can alter their cushy jobs. It took one year of Callahan improving the line for Jerry to promote him to play caller. But then Jason got involved, because he was worried that his whole playbook was being trashed for Callahan's West Coast. The year Jerry promoted Callahan was the after Romo and Witten were yelling at Garrett on the sidelines.

So Jerry, without firing Jason, has tried to keep him away from sucking up. The problem is, we have no real leadership or direction and it keeps dragging us down. I think the other thing that screws us is Jerry's desire to say he did it with his choices to win, without Jimmy. To this day that probably drives him so I don't think he wants a strong personality as assistant head coaches or any coach in general.

I mean how Callahan left rubbed levtye wrong way. I don't even see the same creative zone blocking schemes we use to run with him. It's like we are back to just man blocking. I live in DC and watch the Commanders line more than I'd like, but they look dominant and flying all over the place.m, when they pull and run to the outside and everything looks so clean and crisp.

And believe me, the Commanders off season was disastrous.
the slippage from Callahan to Pollack is a low key problem that's not really being discussed on here. This was the first year, Pollack couldn't really eat off of what Callahan made. This is the first year Pollack had to develop and implement "his guys" on the line and it's not going well. Commanders line look like monsters.

khiladi

Reaction score
the slippage from Callahan to Pollack is a low key problem that's not really being discussed on here. This was the first year, Pollack couldn't really eat off of what Callahan made. This is the first year Pollack had to develop and implement "his guys" on the line and it's not going well. Commanders line look like monsters.

Callahan is pure gold. If Sparano didn't take the Jets job whom we were actually pursuing then who even knows how directionless we would be. The fact we were trying to bring Sparano back shows how directionless we are.

And because Sparano took the Jets job, then this put Callahan on the market and fell in our lap. It's not like we were targeting him.

Callahan was the OL coach when Sanchez was leading the Jets to the playoffs. Mark Sanchez....

kevm3

Reaction score
And this whole tenure of Garrett's, to protect him, the shift has always been on the defense's 'inability to perform', even when his basic offense was turning the ball over thirty times a season.

Exactly, at the end of games, it'd be 3 and out 3 and out 3 and out and we'd bag on the defense for not holding up. The defense genuinely stinks this year, but the front office basically blew up the best unit on that defense. All of those guys that supposedly sucked here look great elsewhere. I really don't see many coordinators able to do much with a team that is missing it's best LB in sean Lee, has Jaylon smith getting tons of snaps, has a D line that does little besides Lawrence, and now Irving, and has a secondary manned by rookies and mediocrity. We're going through the defensive version of the fo blowing up the o line during romo's tenure and we'll probably have to wait years to rebuild.

What's sad is that not only is Garrett 'learning on the job', we also have to let Stephen Jones learn the GM job as well. He's done a nice job with not overpaying, but that FO has been ttrocious during free agency. All the other teams in our division stocked up on talent. On the other hand, we turned our defense into 'rebuild mode' when we should have been taking advantage of dak's cheap contract.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
I doubt it. Marinelli is going to be his scapegoat this season, but another lackluster season after that will be the straw.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's weird, because the players and staff and organization all seem to like him, but the fans can't stand him.

I wonder what we know that they all don't?
There was a poll a couple years ago locally which Garrett had the most support of any coach since Jimmy.

Fan forums don't often reflect the pulse of fan base but rather amplifying a vocal minority.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
While most fans would rather have a more proven and experienced Head Coach, coaching staff and front office we realize the challenges , obstacles, hindrances and handicap this ownership presents and see Garrett as a means to influence Jerrys ways in building a more consistent competitive team. with a franchise desperately needing more respectability within the embarrassing dysfunctional situation Jerry has created.

We're rooting for our favorite puppet this era because he's a former player, his connection to Jimmy and his fathers to Landry. His connection to our glorious past is a definite plus.

This doesn't dismiss some of his mistakes he's made and learning curves he's met with and we certainly understand the criticism but when you consider the alternatives and the coaches who have came before him he's a puppet we certainly can get behind.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
When Jerry named Jason Garrett the " future of the Dallas Cowboys" in 2007 we weren't certain of the definition.

It was an unprecedented move especially when Jerry hadn't named a Head Coach. It no doubt undermined Wades authority and more examples of the dysfunction Jerry creates.

When Garrett took over in 2010 it was uncertain if he'd remain and the rest of that season basically a rehearsal for his future . Garrett has met several impasse along the way and Jerry has gone to extremes we've never seen before in protecting his HC from criticism.

In return Jason has never thrown his boss under the bus either always saying all the right things. Jason has influenced along with Stephen more sound decisions in the draft, Cap mgmt and Free Agency assembling the most talented and competitive team since Parcells built a team that went to the playoffs 3 times from 2006- 2009.

IMO this is enough with our recent success winning the division 2 of the last 3 years to continue to build around the type of team Garrett has envisioned. This doesn't mean some tweaks might be necessary in his subordinates and continued meshing of the roster while still being subject to some criticism.

Garrett has provided me more hope and pride in an era with Jerry where I had very little.

Last edited:

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
It's weird, because the players and staff and organization all seem to like him, but the fans can't stand him.

I wonder what we know that they all don't?
They know JJ loves him. Why would they say otherwise? Unless they're pulling a Costanza :D

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
There was a poll a couple years ago locally which Garrett had the most support of any coach since Jimmy.

Fan forums don't often reflect the pulse of fan base but rather amplifying a vocal minority.
During 12-4 and 13-3, I doubt the 3-13 season? Casual fans just know Garrett as the red headed HC of the Cowboys and maybe that he played backup QB for us in the 90s. Hardcore fans have known of Garrett's vanilla scheme, poor clock management, poor play calling eventually needing stripped of him and the inability to ever have the team ready for a big game throughout his tenure; the 3 consecutive 8-8's we could've made the playoffs with a franchise QB like Romo @ the helm and more recently last season against GB and DET in the playoffs.

Last edited:

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Yup he is Jerry's Chosen One and has a lifetime contract guaranteed...the only thing that can stop him is a scandal. Dak's emergence just guaranteed him 10 more years on top of his lifetime contract.

Bottom line is that it is still very hard to work under Jerry and Garrett is the perfect puppet that Jerry had groomed. When you look around the league, I don't see anyone who would come in that Jerry would allow the freedom to run things (and even if Jerry was willing, chances are they'd tire out like Parcells did).

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Things were down in 2015 and look what happened, he had his chance to coach the team up and failed.
I was already convinced he was not a Super Bowl winning coach in waiting...but 2015 sealed it for me. Lots of fans have short memories...but I don't. Forget winning. Forget scoring points. We could not even get 1st downs! We must have set a franchise record for 3 and outs. How that is lost on the decision makers/fans is mind boggling. He 'coached' as if he was protecting something....he 'coached' he did not want to mess anything up until Romo came back...he 'coached' with the expectation that Romo was going to return and win 7 or 8 games in row and lead us to the playoffs. The reality is...he did NOT coach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill Bellicheck won 10 games with Matt Cassell. Mat Cassell made pro bowls in KC. We could not even get 1st downs!!!!!!!!!!! Let alone win a game!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
When Jimmy was here, the ferocity in his eyes was evident every game. And he had a reputation of a domineering presence that even the announcers would talk about it.

It was such a thing of beauty. He revolutionized the NFL with us drafting and brought the speedy side to side LBs to the game and they flew everywhere. Free agency robbed this team when he left.

His imprint was on this whole team.

Those who watched him truly will be embarrassed with this clown on the sidelines now.
En Fuego

Diehardblues

Reaction score
During 12-4 and 13-3, I doubt the 3-13 season? Casual fans just know Garrett as the red headed HC of the Cowboys and maybe that he played backup QB for us in the 90s. Hardcore fans have known of Garrett's vanilla scheme, poor clock management, poor play calling eventually needing stripped of him and the inability to ever have the team ready for a big game throughout his tenure; the 3 consecutive 8-8's we could've made the playoffs with a franchise QB like Romo @ the helm and more recently last season against GB and DET in the playoffs.
3-13 season? You must mean 4-12. Missing details as such always concerns me as I haven't missed a game in 54 years attending hundreds.

Local fans are more in tune with the handicap , hindrance and obstacles Jerry presents and have seen the other puppets and like Jason.

His connection to the Jimmy era and his dad's to Landrys weighs heavy in our hearts as well.

If we're going to be stuck and embarrassed we at least want someone we can relate to our glorious past.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Being a fan of the Cowboys isn't just about winning anymore or we would have abondened years ago with Jerrys selfishness and foolishness.

It's why we've continued to support because we love our franchise and it's history more than any negative impacts Jerry has made in football operations .

Garrett presents a persona of pride and hope thru the dysfunctional football franchise Jerry has created. We're excited Jerry appears to have made a longer commitment and being more influenced in football decisions.

We realize there are still challenges to overcome and there's no guarantees with Jerry anyone will have success again. But until Jerry is gone or steps down willing to allow a more proven and experienced front office and HC we truly love and support our favorite puppet, Jason Garrett. The second winingest coach now in Cowboy history and only 3rd to win Coach of the Year honors.