Not open for further replies.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
8 full seasons coached in Dallas.

3 playoff appearances.

3 division titles.

2 playoff wins.

To date, Garrett has not exactly been lighting up the final scoreboard.

He has a chance to start changing this Saturday night.
77-59 And he hasn't been near as horrible as you and others try to make him out of be.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Your last sentence makes zero sense in the context of this debate. Who cares if Jerry can stick with a coach longer than say other GMs because Jerry won't fire himself for hiring a bad coach? That has nothing to do with the effectiveness of Garrett and the success of Garrett relative to other coaches who have also been on their jobs as long. The whole point here is that when you stack up Garrett's early career resume with almost all the other truly successful coaches, his resume ranks near the bottom in terms of success. That's backed by the factual evidence that almost every single coach (again, save Landry) that has won a SB had way more success in their first 7-8 years of coaching than Garrett. It's quite relevant to the discussion. I get why you would want to claim it's irrelevant but anyone who is truly honest in this debate would admit that while it's "possible" Garrett could develop into an elite coach, history would indicate that if you haven't shown any real success at this point, it's unlikely you are going to then turn yourself into an elite coach.

In the grand scheme of things, it's far better for this franchise for Garrett to be that anomaly. I certainly don't deny that. I just don't really believe he's that guy given he's shown very little of that to date.

Let me put it another way: are there a lot of examples of other teams trying to give coaches a lot of rope and them failing anyway?

Sydla

Reaction score
77-59 And he hasn't been near as horrible as you and others try to make him out of be.

Well for starters, I have never said he's horrible. But I should not be surprised you made something up again. I've long stipulated he's basically an average to maybe slightly above average coach.

77-59 in 8+ years with 2 playoff wins is not a great resume. It's sad and interesting that you've lowered the bar in terms of your expectations for this franchise. You come here year after year ready to pounce on any Cowboys fan that doesn't think the Cowboys are one of the better teams in the league and a SB contender. You get pissy when someone suggests a division rival might be better or that the Cowboys can't do this or that.

And yet here you sit, claiming an 8 year run with a 56.6% winning percentage and only 2 playoff wins to date is something really impressive.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Well for starters, I have never said he's horrible. But I should not be surprised you made something up again. I've long stipulated he's basically an average to maybe slightly above average coach.

77-59 in 8+ years with 2 playoff wins is not a great resume. It's sad and interesting that you've lowered the bar in terms of your expectations for this franchise. You come here year after year ready to pounce on any Cowboys fan that doesn't think the Cowboys are one of the better teams in the league and a SB contender. You get pissy when someone suggests a division rival might be better or that the Cowboys can't do this or that.

And yet here you sit, claiming an 8 year run with a 56.6% winning percentage and only 2 playoff wins to date is something really impressive.
Stay tuned. I hope the Cowboys disappoint you on Saturday and win. Then MAYBE you’ll take your constant negativity and go away for a bit.

Sydla

Reaction score
Let me put it another way: are there a lot of examples of other teams trying to give coaches a lot of rope and them failing anyway?

You still aren't getting this. You think this question somehow refutes or undercuts the fact that every successful coach other than Landry that has been in one place as long as Garrett has been here, has had way more success over that period than Garrett.

But to answer your question, yes, there have been coaches with long tenures that never won a SB or even made a SB. Marvin Lewis is the clear peer for Garrett to date. Marty Schottenheimer had a long run in KC where he never made a SB despite the fact he was far more successful in his first 8 years in KC than Garrett was. Chuck Knox spent 9 years in Seattle. Never won or made a SB. Another guy who was given time and was more successful than Garrett out of the shoot and still couldn't deliver.

Jeff Fisher spent 17 years coaching the Tennessee franchise. Never won a SB. Frankly had a pretty poor postseason record only making the playoffs 6 times in 17 years. But in his 5th full year, he made the SB and lost to the Rams. They stuck with him and he never delivered much of anything beyond that SB year.

Jim Mora spent 11 years in New Orleans. Made the playoffs only 4 times and never won a playoff game.

To a lesser extent, Philly stuck with Andy Reid and never won a SB. But they did make 5 NFC Champ games, including a few appearances in the first 5 years in Philly. John Fox spent 8 years in Carolina, only made the playoffs 3 times and never won a SB. But again, unlike Garrett, he had some success early making a SB in his 2nd season and a NFCCG in his 4th year.

Sydla

Reaction score
Stay tuned. I hope the Cowboys disappoint you on Saturday and win. Then MAYBE you’ll take your constant negativity and go away for a bit.

Yes, because I hope the Cowboys lose Saturday night.

You get dumber by the post.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Yes, because I hope the Cowboys lose Saturday night.

You get dumber by the post.
Sorry but you sure act like it. You aren’t just always negative about Garrett but also Dak, Jones and whom else SAS happens to be talking about that week.

Sydla

Reaction score
Sorry but you sure act like it. You aren’t just always negative about Garrett but also Dak, Jones and whom else SAS happens to be talking about that week.

As I said, dumber by the post. Apparently now I watch SAS?

Funny how you miss all the positive posts about guys like Jaylon Smith, LVE, Byron Jones, Kris Richard, DeMarcus Lawrence, etc.

But keep up the good work.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
As I said, dumber by the post. Apparently now I watch SAS?

Funny how you miss all the positive posts about guys like Jaylon Smith, LVE, Byron Jones, Kris Richard, DeMarcus Lawrence, etc.

But keep up the good work.
No I missed those.

Coy

Reaction score
Confused...not hardly. Just acknowledging strength of what has already been on, then, and now. Nothing to cry about, already. The team is gaining playoff experience and a stronger/youthful core as well.

Oh, and there seems to be a sidestep of the question asked...think that Dallas does or does not effectively control Donalds? That may well write out the storyline for this particular game.

Rogers wrote out the storyline for the other two games...lost by a field goal's amount, both games.

Ok then, since we are talking about the game and that`s it, I do think we control Donald to a certain degree and I do think we will somewhat control Gurley.
If we lose this game, it will be because Goff played a great game, in fact, I think that who ever plays better between Dak and Goff wins it, just my opinion.

Sydla

Reaction score
No I missed those.

Which isn't surprising. You've openly admitted in the past that you essentially go thread to thread to find people not being positive enough so you can rip them. So when someone you think is a negative fan says something positive, you likely just ignore it because it doesn't fit into your bizarre worldview of your importance and purpose to this board.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Which isn't surprising. You've openly admitted in the past that you essentially go thread to thread to find people not being positive enough so you can rip them. So when someone you think is a negative fan says something positive, you likely just ignore it because it doesn't fit into your bizarre worldview of your importance and purpose to this board.
Never said that. Don't lie.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

I think he has done well in regular season. but his playoff success has been limited for what ever reasons. we have been close, but close doesn't count. its coming out with victory regardless in those close games that counts.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You still aren't getting this. You think this question somehow refutes or undercuts the fact that every successful coach other than Landry that has been in one place as long as Garrett has been here, has had way more success over that period than Garrett.

But to answer your question, yes, there have been coaches with long tenures that never won a SB or even made a SB. Marvin Lewis is the clear peer for Garrett to date. Marty Schottenheimer had a long run in KC where he never made a SB despite the fact he was far more successful in his first 8 years in KC than Garrett was. Chuck Knox spent 9 years in Seattle. Never won or made a SB. Another guy who was given time and was more successful than Garrett out of the shoot and still couldn't deliver.

Jeff Fisher spent 17 years coaching the Tennessee franchise. Never won a SB. Frankly had a pretty poor postseason record only making the playoffs 6 times in 17 years. But in his 5th full year, he made the SB and lost to the Rams. They stuck with him and he never delivered much of anything beyond that SB year.

Jim Mora spent 11 years in New Orleans. Made the playoffs only 4 times and never won a playoff game.

To a lesser extent, Philly stuck with Andy Reid and never won a SB. But they did make 5 NFC Champ games, including a few appearances in the first 5 years in Philly. John Fox spent 8 years in Carolina, only made the playoffs 3 times and never won a SB. But again, unlike Garrett, he had some success early making a SB in his 2nd season and a NFCCG in his 4th year.

Those are all good examples, so thanks for finding them. There are several guys on that list I wouldn’t have thought of.

I’d also submit that, with the exception of Fisher, that’s a list of pretty dang good coaches.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yes you have. Again, and again, and again. Like you think it's your job to control how the people in this forum think and the "right" attitude and opinion everyone should have. Something nobody ASKED you to do and something nobody WANTS you to do. Spreading discord and negativity while claiming to be "Mr. Positive."

Don't YOU lie.

Sydla

Reaction score

Yes you did. You openly admitted it a few months ago in an argument with a couple of posters when you were going on one of your rants that you were just giving people what they deserve. When I asked you if you were basically admitting that you only come here to attack posters that are critical of the Cowboys, you said absolutely.

And then after realizing what you said, you deleted the post a few minutes later.

Sydla

Reaction score
Those are all good examples, so thanks for finding them. There are several guys on that list I wouldn’t have thought of.

I’d also submit that, with the exception of Fisher, that’s a list of pretty dang good coaches.

It is. And almost had all more success early than Garrett and still didn't win anything. Schottenheimer had a good run in Cleveland before KC where he made 2 AFCCG in his 5 years there. Knox was successful in LA making the playoffs all 5 years in LA before moving onto Buffalo and Seattle.

It actually hurts your argument to admit these guys were good coaches. They were quality coaches, given time and still didn't deliver.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Yes you did. You openly admitted it a few months ago in an argument with a couple of posters when you were going on one of your rants that you were just giving people what they deserve. When I asked you if you were basically admitting that you only come here to attack posters that are critical of the Cowboys, you said absolutely.

And then after realizing what you said, you deleted the post a few minutes later.
:facepalm:You lie too much. Back on ignore.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is. And almost had all more success early than Garrett and still didn't win anything. Schottenheimer had a good run in Cleveland before KC where he made 2 AFCCG in his 5 years there. Knox was successful in LA making the playoffs all 5 years in LA before moving onto Buffalo and Seattle.

It actually hurts your argument to admit these guys were good coaches. They were quality coaches, given time and still didn't deliver.

It doesn’t, because my argument isn’t that the best coach wins the Superbowl. My argument is that there are a lot of important factored that go into winning Superbowls and that, if you’ve got your coach, you’re better off addressing the things that are actually causing you to fall short.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
It doesn’t, because my argument isn’t that the best coach wins the Superbowl. My argument is that there are a lot of important factored that go into winning Superbowls and that, if you’ve got your coach, you’re better off addressing the things that are actually causing you to fall short.
It will be interesting to see how Belichick does once Brady retires. He may just retire with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.