Garrett has built this team for playoff success

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Someone has to have a vision on what it takes to build a team that can have playoff success. It’s not Mclay, it’s not Jerry, it’s not Stepehen it’s Garrett.

Well I admit there are some good arguments being made by the Garrett crowd. It's just a bit weird, Garrett is a genius now from the sounds of it. When the team was 3-5 he didn't look so much like one and it looked like it would be his last year here. The Cooper trade has changed all that. It's not like I am a Garrett hater. I've wanted him to do good here since he is a former player and I hold that thanksgiving game against greenbay as one of my favorite games. But I'm also the cautious type and have know there can be good arguments made on both sides. So I'll wait for the playoffs euphoria to wear off, and heck Garrett will be here next year along with Dak, so if we lose, those two will have next year to prove themselves. Hopefully we can get past the Rams and they'll prove themselves before then. But given the Cowboy's history of having an up year and then a down year, repeat, I wouldn't be too surprised if next year would be a down year. There still plenty of things that worry me about this time to just deny that possibility straight out. As it is I think we have a good chance of beating the RAMS, that the rare homer in me coming out, probably. Superbowl, I don't know, usually teams that win those have a lot less flaws than I see with us. :) But I'm sure I grow more confident and become a bigger homer the more we win.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
so with all the garrett love ;) does this mean that if we lose, there will be no blaming coaches by the dak crowd?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Well I admit there are some good arguments being made by the Garrett crowd. It's just a bit weird, Garrett is a genius now from the sounds of it. When the team was 3-5 he didn't look so much like one and it looked like it would be his last year here. The Cooper trade has changed all that. It's not like I am a Garrett hater. I've wanted him to do good here since he is a former player and I hold that thanksgiving game against greenbay as one of my favorite games. But I'm also the cautious type and have know there can be good arguments made on both sides. So I'll wait for the playoffs euphoria to wear off, and heck Garrett will be here next year along with Dak, so if we lose, those two will have next year to prove themselves. Hopefully we can get past the Rams and they'll prove themselves before then. But given the Cowboy's history of having an up year and then a down year, repeat, I wouldn't be too surprised if next year would be a down year. There still plenty of things that worry me about this time to just deny that possibility straight out. As it is I think we have a good chance of beating the RAMS, that the rare homer in me coming out, probably. Superbowl, I don't know, usually teams that win those have a lot less flaws than I see with us. :) But I'm sure I grow more confident and become a bigger homer the more we win.
I said before the season started that Garrett needed to prove something this year or he’s out. In my opinion he’s done that. I won’t be happy with a loss on Saturday but I won’t be whining all offseason for a new head coach.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
I said before the season started that Garrett needed to prove something this year or he’s out. In my opinion he’s done that. I won’t be happy with a loss on Saturday but I won’t be whining all offseason for a new head coach.

Well a playoff win, pretty gave garret another year. Only a fool, real hater, would fire him if we lose now.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
I dont know if Garrett build the team or Mcclay and Stephen ( sprinkled with Jerry)

But if there is a game where our trenches need to win it, this is the game. Our OL need to withstand Donald and Suh and use clever running to wither them down and DL has to be gap controlled , relentless and put Goff on his backside from the start. Easily those are the keys .

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
it doesn't jive that he is the big tuna with what is available from to watch on dc.com It isn't very logical either, since he has been pretty much inconsistent here with good and bad years. Why would you give him that much sole power without holding him responsible for the lack of success? In fact, why would Jerry give Garrett the Bill Parcells treatment when he was an unproven head coach who didn't do so well as offensive coordinator? It just doesn't make sense. Seems to me people are only high on Garrett right now because this is one of the up years for the cowboys, which could of just as easily been an 8-8 or worse year had it not been for the cooper trade.

Nobody is claiming that Garrett is the final decision maker. But he no doubt is the one that provides the direction and parameters for the type of players we're looking for.

When he took over, he made the decision to rebuild the team in the trenches. As I said, it is no coincidence that we started that the very year he was named permanent HC. That was the off-season we let go of our high priced veteran olineman, including the surprise release of Andre Gurode in the final cuts. And it was well documented that he personally worked out Tyron Smith. Remember we were rumored to take JJ Watt, and then reports after Garrett worked out Smith began to solidly say we were taking him if he was there.

Also, it's your choice whether you believe Jerry or not, but he maintains that that language in every one of his HCs contracts has always been the same. Garrett contractually has the same powers that Parcells had.

Again, Garrett sets the direction and the parameters, McClay finds them, and Stephen (Let's be honest, it's Stephen now) makes the final decision. Garrett is responsible for the identity and makeup of this team. He installed the philosophy.

Finally, I am not only high on Garrett because it's an up year. I've been consistent in my support of him. Look at my posting history.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Ok then, since we are talking about the game and that`s it, I do think we control Donald to a certain degree and I do think we will somewhat control Gurley.
If we lose this game, it will be because Goff played a great game, in fact, I think that who ever plays better between Dak and Goff wins it, just my opinion.

I think it boils down to which team's defensive line is the most effective...and that affecting the play of either Goff or Prescott.

Sydla

Reaction score
This whole conversation is stupid.

Garrett has input in player personnel decisions and the draft. He's not the final say, he's not the guy who built the vision for the franchise, etc. He's a voice, a powerful voice, in the player acquisition realm but that's it. He's gotten guys he wanted (Elliott) and he's been given guys he didn't want (it was reported he didn't want to draft Gregory and didn't want Greg Hardy).

This is a classic case of trying to build a case as to why Garrett is fantastic by suggesting he's the mastermind behind the current vision of the team.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Nobody is claiming that Garrett is the final decision maker. But he no doubt is the one that provides the direction and parameters for the type of players we're looking for.

When he took over, he made the decision to rebuild the team in the trenches. As I said, it is no coincidence that we started that the very year he was named permanent HC. That was the off-season we let go of our high priced veteran olineman, including the surprise release of Andre Gurode in the final cuts. And it was well documented that he personally worked out Tyron Smith. Remember we were rumored to take JJ Watt, and then reports after Garrett worked out Smith began to solidly say we were taking him if he was there.

Also, it's your choice whether you believe Jerry or not, but he maintains that that language in every one of his HCs contracts has always been the same. Garrett contractually has the same powers that Parcells had.

Again, Garrett sets the direction and the parameters, McClay finds them, and Stephen (Let's be honest, it's Stephen now) makes the final decision. Garrett is responsible for the identity and makeup of this team. He installed the philosophy.

Finally, I am not only high on Garrett because it's an up year. I've been consistent in my support of him. Look at my posting history.

Well I'm just not that sure that he wasn't preaching to the choir, and to people who already had similar views to begin with. I mean someone saying something like, "You know what, I liked how the team was build like the in the 90's that old school power football style, where you start with a good offensive line." :) I mean I know me and some of my co-workers had talked about that before garret was head coach. So just because garrett had said something when he became coach, I really don't see that as something that revolutionary and original, and I certainly don't see that as something that people who live in Dallas wouldn't already believe in, if they lived through the 90's. The NFL goes in cycles.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
The key to winning in the playoffs is to build a team from the trenches out. You must be able to control both lines of scrimmage. You must be able to run the ball and stop the run. You must be able to win time of possession. You must minimize the turnovers. You must play tough, physical football. Garrett has accomplished all of the above and we’re just getting started.

Great post , as always your Garrett posts age well .

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
QUIT BUMPING OLD THREADS TO CALL OUT SOMEONE.

Status
Not open for further replies.