Garrett has built this team for playoff success

Status
Not open for further replies.

cern

Reaction score
garrett motivates extremely well. not sure why but the team has never quits on him. his coordinators do the x's and o's. mcclay and Stephen bring in the personnel. I've said it before. garrett is just one good oc way from being a good coach.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
For the other 31 teams, yes. In this case, no.
Um, actually yes. And it's the reason McClay has taken over player personnel. As dysfunctional as it sounds, prior to McClay taking over, scouts were grading players overall and not in accordance to what the coaches actually wanted. That's why there was dissent when the Cowboys had the DT in Minnesota (forgot his name, now. Floyd, maybe?) had a high grade as a player but Marinelli basically jumped on a chair to say he doesn't fit what we do or what we're looking for. The Cowboys draft board leaked and they were roasted for not taking the player that they had rated as the best available when they picked (I think they actually traded out of the spot and drafted Fredrick. I'm going solely on memory, here, so forgive me if I'm getting the details wrong).

In any case, yes, the scouts NOW get the input from the coaches as to who, what, and how to scout players for the upcoming draft. Here's the shocker. Garrett happens to be one of the coaches.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The head coach has a vision on what kind of team he wants to coach. The scouts create the draft board filled with the type of players to fulfill that vision. Come draft day they’re voting on the type of players the head coach wants.
How long have you been a Cowboys fan?
How long have you been paying attention?
Your correct on about 70 percent, which isn't bad if your drunk in Vegas.
Garrett just recently, finally realized that he needed to minimize his hand clap, and butt slap,,
I can only assume that he was instructed to do that as well.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
How long have you been a Cowboys fan?
How long have you been paying attention?
Your correct on about 70 percent, which isn't bad if your drunk in Vegas.
Garrett just recently, finally realized that he needed to minimize his hand clap, and butt slap,,
I can only assume that he was instructed to do that as well.
Lol, please tell me how hand clapping or butt slapping has anything to do with being a good head coach? I’ll argue it does.

Last edited:

Tommy

Reaction score
And let's be honest, after people in this thread have talked about how great a job Garrett has done and built a real contender and how we've been rewarded for our patience, they'll have excuses come Monday if we lose and once again fail to make a NFC title game in 8 full years under Garrett. The cry will be, we are almost there.

Just like how we were almost there after 2014. Or 2016.
Your going to be in here crying about something whether we win or lose.

Sydla

Reaction score
It doesn’t, because my argument isn’t that the best coach wins the Superbowl. My argument is that there are a lot of important factored that go into winning Superbowls and that, if you’ve got your coach, you’re better off addressing the things that are actually causing you to fall short.

The "best" coaches don't always win the SB. Belichick is a better coach than Pederson, despite the fact the Eagles beat NE last year.

But it's rare that an average coach has everything go his way and all the factors align for him to win one. How many "average" coaches have won a SB?

Your argument almost read as if it is that coaches don't really matter all that much as long as all the other factors are in place you can win. I reject that notion. HCs are very important.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It will be interesting to see how Belichick does once Brady retires. He may just retire with him.

Yeah. I’m sort of thinking the same thing. Once they traded Garapolo, I think that was a hit to keeping Belichick post-Brady.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The "best" coaches don't always win the SB. Belichick is a better coach than Pederson, despite the fact the Eagles beat NE last year.

But it's rare that an average coach has everything go his way and all the factors align for him to win one. How many "average" coaches have won a SB?

Your argument almost read as if it is that coaches don't really matter all that much as long as all the other factors are in place you can win. I reject that notion. HCs are very important.

I don’t consider Garrett an average coach, obviously.

We’re going in circles here.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
If Garrett makes it to the Conference championship and wins , i will most certainly make the outrageous claim :

"Garrett has built this team for playoff sucess." , Until then I will wait and let Garrett prove this statement, with results .

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
If Garrett makes it to the Conference championship and wins , i will most certainly make the outrageous claim :

"Garrett has built this team for playoff sucess." , Until then I will wait and let Garrett prove this statement, with results .
You guys keep moving the goal posts. At the beginning of the year y’all were saying he must win a playoff game. Well he has. Now it’s he must get to the SB. IF we get to the SB it will be now he must win the SB. IF we win the SB it will be he’s only won 1 SB and on and on and on.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
Since when is Garrett in charge of drafting and scouting. I know he has a voice, but he is not the one who built this team.

I'll bet he has a pretty loud voice. This team mirrors the Dallas teams of the early 90s. Garrett was there, and enjoyed the success of those teams.

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
Is that why Garrett looked stressed to no end after the Travis Frederick pick in 2013?

Probably one of the top Garrett moments next to his reaction to Greg Hardy spazzing on the sidelines :laugh:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Is that why Garrett looked stressed to no end after the Travis Frederick pick in 2013?

Probably one of the top Garrett moments next to his reaction to Greg Hardy spazzing on the sidelines :laugh:
No that was because Charlotte wouldn’t stop hitting on him :laugh:

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
The profiles of the vast majority of the draftees match the description given by Garrett in the spring of 2011 before he ever participated in a draft as the Head Coach.

Leadership is a key element, most draft picks were captains. Again, the majority of them did well in school, emphasis on graduating. Intelligence was an important trait, especially on offense.

If you anybody was to research it, you would find that most offensive drafts picks, particularly blockers like O-linemen, TE's, and FB's, were All-Academic for their conferences.

Garrett preferred highly productive college careers to athletic specimens with "potential" to be successful in the NFL level.

Then there was the "right kind of guy" part. They went for good citizenship for the most part, they wanted guys who loved the game and worked hard to improve, unselfish, playing for their teammates as well as themselves.

Now, don't get me wrong. In the premium upper round picks, the skill and talent that was compatible with their needs trumped everything.

They always wanted to capitalize on draft position value versus what was available.

Both Lawrence and Gregory entered the draft with baggage that detrimented their value to the point where it was real value to take them in the 2nd round. Considering their past performance, if these guys didn't work out then the Cowboys wouldn't lose much more than they were already used to. Of course, they did their due diligence.

The same is true for Jaylon. His potential if recovered, far outweighed the actual value of the pick at the time, I think all three would have been a top ten pick without the baggage. Getting value was something Garrett emphasized.

Garrett also made a point of stating that they must stick to the plan, never get impatient, never trade the future for the present by trading away draft picks unless it was a great deal that provided real value.

I would say that acquiring a young, gifted Pro-Bowl receiver for a 1st round pick satisfied the "unless" part. Other the .that, when was the last time a high draft pick was traded away.?

Cooper is so young that he will be incorporated into the long term plans of the team.

McClay is a great evaluators but it is not his team. He is evaluating these players based on the criteria created by Garrett.

Again, Garrett father and brother were both Scots, Judd still is. What do you think they discussed around the dinner table since they were kids?

There is no vote, don't be decieved by the drivel that Jerry has relinquished any authority. He only promised to pay more attention to what those around him we're saying. Jerry has the final say on every personnel decision. It Garrett or anyone else were ever overruled then it was by Jerry.

So everyone really should drop the Garrett hate, it will only make you miserable. I know you don't want to believe he is the most responsible for the present success but the great coaches tell us how they plan to be successful before they even begin. Garrett's plan called for a new culture which included patience while building things the right way.

That is because when something is built the right way, it has a tendency to last much longer.....which, like it or not, that is what Garrett will do.

Nice post, and it does make a lot of sense. But there is not just one person who does the selecting of draft picks. Again that's something you get if you watch the fair share of media available on dc.com and their shows. I'm willing to believe that Garrett does contribute to the building process, but from what has been revealed about the organization it is a group of people and there is a vote. Whatever the erm process... is it seems to be working so far. And I don't see something so strange about a bunch of like minded individuals working together who all believe the same thing that you have described jason believes in. And still the bit about Jason hardly ever getting overruled, that would require insider information to know if it is true or not.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Oh yes he is. Starting with Tyron Smith, whom he scouted himself and worked out personally at USC. You think it's a coincidence that we immediately started rebuilding the offensive line the year he took over?

it doesn't jive that he is the big tuna with what is available from to watch on dc.com It isn't very logical either, since he has been pretty much inconsistent here with good and bad years. Why would you give him that much sole power without holding him responsible for the lack of success? In fact, why would Jerry give Garrett the Bill Parcells treatment when he was an unproven head coach who didn't do so well as offensive coordinator? It just doesn't make sense. Seems to me people are only high on Garrett right now because this is one of the up years for the cowboys, which could of just as easily been an 8-8 or worse year had it not been for the cooper trade.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Nice post, and it does make a lot of sense. But there is not just one person who does the selecting of draft picks. Again that's something you get if you watch the fair share of media available on dc.com and their shows. I'm willing to believe that Garrett does contribute to the building process, but from what has been revealed about the organization it is a group of people and there is a vote. Whatever the erm process... is it seems to be working so far. And I don't see something so strange about a bunch of like minded individuals working together who all believe the same thing that you have described jason believes in. And still the bit about Jason hardly ever getting overruled, that would require insider information to know if it is true or not.
Someone has to have a vision on what it takes to build a team that can have playoff success. It’s not Mclay, it’s not Jerry, it’s not Stepehen it’s Garrett.

Status
Not open for further replies.