Garrett has built this team for playoff success

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coy

Reaction score
It's been a long time since we've been relevant in late January. It makes sense that the natives are restless.

I just wish I felt better about this game this week.

Could you expand?

Coy

Reaction score
At least two games deep in the playoffs for three of the past five seasons?

It`s about winning the SB or getting deep into the playoffs, or would you be happy with what Marvin Lewis did in Cinci? getting to the playoffs 6 out of 7 years.

Sydla

Reaction score
Let me ask it this way: how many teams, other than Dallas, have a situation where they'd realistically keep a long-term coach on through a significant roster rebuild and not cave to the market pressure to bring in somebody new? DAL, PIT, maybe GB. CIN just did it. There aren't that many spots where it's going to happen at all. When it's a practical impossibility in 75% of the league, and much of the other 25% of the league is actually happy with their situation, you don't have anything to compare it to.

Ask any way you want, it doesn't refute the very simple point. Almost all of the successful, SB winning franchises won that SB in the first 3-5 years of a regime change.

Cincinnati did it and what did they get for that patience? Zero. Nothing. Pittsburgh has stuck with coaches for a long period and one - Cowher - didn't win a SB until later in his career. But contrast his first five years with Garrett's. In his first five years Garrett went to the playoffs once and lost. Cowher? 5 playoff appearances in 5 years, two AFC Champ games and a SB appearance. Pittsburgh was also patient with Noll. But again, l look at Noll's first five years............ he made an AFC Champ game in his first five years and then won SBs in Year 6 and 7.

So when you look at those who have been patient with their coaches and been rewarded, in almost every example except Tom Landry, those coaches had much more success early in their careers than Garrett. The most obvious comparison? Lewis. He made the playoffs once in his first five years and lost immediately, just like Garrett. The Bengal stuck with him and guess what? They were never rewarded.

The reality is this. You can believe Garrett has or will turn the corner very soon and think he will have the Cowboys in a higher stratosphere than they currently have been. If he does do that, he will be an anomaly in terms of NFL coaching success.

Reactions: Coy

CCBoy

Reaction score
It`s about winning the SB or getting deep into the playoffs, or would you be happy with what Marvin Lewis did in Cinci? getting to the playoffs 6 out of 7 years.

There are three weeks prior to the Super Bowl...and as stated, Dallas has hit the second of three now, three times in five seasons. This season is not yet over...so where is the disjoint in stance coming from?

Dallas hasn't just sniffed week one...from there, more is about top shelf than not.

...Donald is having a monster year. Boasting 20.5 sacks and four forced fumbles, he is a lock for defensive player of the year, and in some analysts minds, the most valuable player of the year award. Somehow, the four-time All-Pro lineman always makes impactful plays when the Rams are in need of one.

Against the Kansas City Chiefs, Donald recorded 10 total tackles, 2.0 sacks, two fumbles, and eight quarterback hurries, per Pro Football Focus. When the lights are on, Donald balls out. It is just that simple. With a late Saturday night game against the Cowboys, Donald has to be licking his lips as I write these words.

The Cowboys have struggled all year against strong interior defenders. When the interior of the offensive line starts to crumble, quarterback Dak Prescott often panics. In the last two weeks, because the middle of the pocket has held up pretty well, Prescott has played very well.

If the Rams play Donald over the perennial All-Pro guard, Zack Martin, fans will not have to worry as much. However, most likely the Rams will try to have Donald embarrass Cowboys’ rookie left guard, Connor Williams. That should put shivers down the spine of every Cowboys’ fan...

https://thelandryhat.com/2019/01/09/dallas-cowboys-aaron-donald-season-end/

Straight up, how does Dallas handle Donald this Saturday, as to effectiveness? Explain your own 'riddle.'

Coy

Reaction score
There are three weeks prior to the Super Bowl...and as stated, Dallas has hit the second of three now, three times in five seasons. This season is not yet over...so where is the disjoint in stance coming from?

Dallas hasn't just sniffed week one...from there, more is about top shelf than not.

...Donald is having a monster year. Boasting 20.5 sacks and four forced fumbles, he is a lock for defensive player of the year, and in some analysts minds, the most valuable player of the year award. Somehow, the four-time All-Pro lineman always makes impactful plays when the Rams are in need of one.

Against the Kansas City Chiefs, Donald recorded 10 total tackles, 2.0 sacks, two fumbles, and eight quarterback hurries, per Pro Football Focus. When the lights are on, Donald balls out. It is just that simple. With a late Saturday night game against the Cowboys, Donald has to be licking his lips as I write these words.

The Cowboys have struggled all year against strong interior defenders. When the interior of the offensive line starts to crumble, quarterback Dak Prescott often panics. In the last two weeks, because the middle of the pocket has held up pretty well, Prescott has played very well.

If the Rams play Donald over the perennial All-Pro guard, Zack Martin, fans will not have to worry as much. However, most likely the Rams will try to have Donald embarrass Cowboys’ rookie left guard, Connor Williams. That should put shivers down the spine of every Cowboys’ fan...

https://thelandryhat.com/2019/01/09/dallas-cowboys-aaron-donald-season-end/

Straight up, how does Dallas handle Donald this Saturday, as to effectiveness? Explain your own 'riddle.'

What?? you are confused my friend.

This is what I said, hopefully we win and play for a chance to get to a SB. If we lose, it`s basically what happened in 2014 and 2016 and IMO that is not enough.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Since when is Garrett in charge of drafting and scouting. I know he has a voice, but he is not the one who built this team.

He put all the people in the right spots so we have the knowledge to draft good and spend the right way in FA.

So in essence he does all the above mentioned. Because he follows a bigger plan which he developed.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Garrett's failure is completely obvious , 3 playoff berths in 9 years , thats about enough to fire any coach .

This team is built for playoffs ? Ok i dig it , we just need to see how deep we can go ... Garrett has never passed the divisional round, lets see if this is his year against a coach who he knows already . Well, two coaches he knows.

Sydla

Reaction score
And let's be honest, after people in this thread have talked about how great a job Garrett has done and built a real contender and how we've been rewarded for our patience, they'll have excuses come Monday if we lose and once again fail to make a NFC title game in 8 full years under Garrett. The cry will be, we are almost there.

Just like how we were almost there after 2014. Or 2016.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
One thing can't be denied this is Garrett team there is no player that he inherited from any other HC. He has built this current team which is one of the youngest in the NFL

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
And let's be honest, after people in this thread have talked about how great a job Garrett has done and built a real contender and how we've been rewarded for our patience, they'll have excuses come Monday if we lose and once again fail to make a NFC title game in 8 full years under Garrett. The cry will be, we are almost there.

:hammer:

cern

Reaction score
Anyways, drafting Floyd would’ve been “building from the trenches out” which I stated in the OP.
drafting Floyd would have been a mistake. stephen wanted to complete the o-line before turning his attention to the other side of the ball. after the brilliant pick for zack, he started on defense. a much smarter way of doing things than offense one year, defense the other. now both sides of the ball are strong. this is why garrett was overruled.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ask any way you want, it doesn't refute the very simple point. Almost all of the successful, SB winning franchises won that SB in the first 3-5 years of a regime change.

Cincinnati did it and what did they get for that patience? Zero. Nothing. Pittsburgh has stuck with coaches for a long period and one - Cowher - didn't win a SB until later in his career. But contrast his first five years with Garrett's. In his first five years Garrett went to the playoffs once and lost. Cowher? 5 playoff appearances in 5 years, two AFC Champ games and a SB appearance. Pittsburgh was also patient with Noll. But again, l look at Noll's first five years............ he made an AFC Champ game in his first five years and then won SBs in Year 6 and 7.

So when you look at those who have been patient with their coaches and been rewarded, in almost every example except Tom Landry, those coaches had much more success early in their careers than Garrett. The most obvious comparison? Lewis. He made the playoffs once in his first five years and lost immediately, just like Garrett. The Bengal stuck with him and guess what? They were never rewarded.

The reality is this. You can believe Garrett has or will turn the corner very soon and think he will have the Cowboys in a higher stratosphere than they currently have been. If he does do that, he will be an anomaly in terms of NFL coaching success.

It doesn't need to refute it, because it's not a very good point. You've got an unusual situation in Dallas right now that doesn't really exist in most NFL cities, and for good reason. The fact that there's not evidence of an unusual situation being successful elsewhere isn't good evidence that it can't be successful here. Especially when you actually take a look and realize we've been pretty successful with it here and you just don't want to acknowledge it. 2 of the last 4 years, we've had the best record in the NFC. We win more games than most NFC teams have won since Dak's been on board, and we've advanced again this year. If the only argument you have against it is 'other teams haven't done it this way,' then so what?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Could you expand?

Just my gut. And my gut isn't notoriously good. I was pretty sure we'd win the SEA game if we didn't make stupid mistakes. The Rams I can see us beating, but I feel like we need to make an unusual play or two to get it done. I think the fact that they get the ball into the red zone so often has me a little bit spooked.

FanSince79

Reaction score
It seems to me that we rise to our level of competition. We struggle against teams like Tennessee when everyone expects us to beat them. We win against teams like the Saints when we are expected to lose real big. I'm not sure what that says about Garrett, but it bodes well for the playoffs. Hopefully our defense will play hard and our offensive line will hold up well enough against the Rams to surprise everyone again.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
What?? you are confused my friend.

This is what I said, hopefully we win and play for a chance to get to a SB. If we lose, it`s basically what happened in 2014 and 2016 and IMO that is not enough.
Its not enough for anyone my friend.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Just my gut. And my gut isn't notoriously good. I was pretty sure we'd win the SEA game if we didn't make stupid mistakes. The Rams I can see us beating, but I feel like we need to make an unusual play or two to get it done. I think the fact that they get the ball into the red zone so often has me a little bit spooked.
You can take some solace in the fact that the Cowboys defense is one of the best red zone defenses in the league.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Cowboys going to need some luck like a special teams gift and probably a mistake by Greg the Leg.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

We all know you’re praying for a loss but let’s let the game play out before you start pounding your chest.

Status
Not open for further replies.