Garrett has built this team for playoff success

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydla

Reaction score
It does, but it’s an insignificant stat, anyway. It’s not indicative of his ability to coach and it doesn’t affect the rate at which he wins games.

It absolutely does not refute the fact that the majority of SB winners won SBs within the first 3-5 years of a new regime.

LOL.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It absolutely does not refute the fact that the majority of SB winners won SBs within the first 3-5 years of a new regime.

LOL.

I’ll ask again: so what? What difference does it make that so many potentially good coaches didn’t get enough opportunity to work things out? Or that some who did had to do it working for another team? There are enough examples of the latter out there to show that it really is the case that it’s a process of trial and error sometimes.

I’m not suggesting that Jerry didn’t give Garrett a lot of rope to figure things out, or that that’s not a luxury most first time NFL head coaches never get.

Brax

Reaction score
The key to winning in the playoffs is to build a team from the trenches out. You must be able to control both lines of scrimmage. You must be able to run the ball and stop the run. You must be able to win time of possession. You must minimize the turnovers. You must play tough, physical football. Garrett has accomplished all of the above and we’re just getting started.
What fun place to visit is the CZ. I get daily laughs, after 9 years now JG is the builder.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Apparently the formula he used takes 10+ years and has not included an NFC Championship game yet.

Arguably he's two plays against two different Packers teams from getting there though. I agree with the results, but sometimes you can do everything right and still not succeed.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Arguably he's two plays against two different Packers teams from getting there though. I agree with the results, but sometimes you can do everything right and still not succeed.
For every "almost won" there is an "almost lost" which is why in the end, the only thing that matters is whether the Cowboys actually won or lost with Garrett.

Brax

Reaction score
I’ll ask again: so what? What difference does it make that so many potentially good coaches didn’t get enough opportunity to work things out? Or that some who did had to do it working for another team? There are enough examples of the latter out there to show that it really is the case that it’s a process of trial and error sometimes.

I’m not suggesting that Jerry didn’t give Garrett a lot of rope to figure things out, or that that’s not a luxury most first time NFL head coaches never get.
Amazing how stats are spouted to fit certain agendas but now "but it’s an insignificant stat, anyway" stats don't mean a thing.

Sydla

Reaction score

So what?

It shows that quality coaches/regimes largely have immediate impacts if the goal is to produce a SB caliber team.

Manster68

Reaction score
The key to winning in the playoffs is to build a team from the trenches out. You must be able to control both lines of scrimmage. You must be able to run the ball and stop the run. You must be able to win time of possession. You must minimize the turnovers. You must play tough, physical football. Garrett has accomplished all of the above and we’re just getting started.

Dallas has done this without Travis Frederick.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
For every "almost won" there is an "almost lost" which is why in the end, the only thing that matters is whether the Cowboys actually won or lost with Garrett.
Yep it just depends on how you look at things in life.

Coy

Reaction score
As a HC, I hate Garrett with a passion (sorta kidding) but if we win on Saturday and better yet get to the SB then he would basically shut all of us haters up.
Right now, he`s done nothing more than what he did in 2014 and 2016, with a very easy schedule might I say.

Sydla

Reaction score
When did Will McClay’s tenure in player personnel start?

I think back in the early 2000s. He was hired to coach the Cowboys AFL franchise and then in the offseason work in player personnel. He then became more involved in 2012-2013. I think Archer tells the story that the disconnect between the coaches and Jerry over Floyd versus Frederick in that draft made them put someone in a position that would basically take all the information and filter it and try to get everyone on the same page.

Up until that point, draft decisions had been this hodge podge of people just throwing things against the wall and Jerry making the final call. McClay was brought in to basically be a point person and kind of streamline the process and information gathering.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Amazing how stats are spouted to fit certain agendas but now "but it’s an insignificant stat, anyway" stats don't mean a thing.

Depends on the stat, doesn’t it? Some of them are significant. Some are cherry picked.

When you already know most coaches wouldn’t have gotten to year four the way Garrett did in Dallas, and that that fact eliminates a huge percentage of first time coaches, you have to question the stat. Or at least I do, because I absolutely know those teams between 2010-2012 were bad teams and that the roster needed to be rebuilt with very little cap and no extra draft picks.

cern

Reaction score
what does jerry's 250 million yacht suggest to many of you. it suggests to me that he's been satisfied with the way mcclay and Stephen have been putting the team together. it suggests he's about to get on with enjoying the rest of his life in his own inimitable style. he's certainly earned it. the credit for assembling this team's personnel belongs to the two aforementioned, not garrett. garrett's future rests in the hands of Stephen, but i'd venture a guess jerry would still have considerable input regarding that decision.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So what?

It shows that quality coaches/regimes largely have immediate impacts if the goal is to produce a SB caliber team.

It doesn’t though. It shows that most coaches/regimes don’t get a lot of time to make an impact in this league. Because not a lot of GMs are also the owner and can afford the luxury of standing by a coach the way Jerry did for Garrett.

But at the same time, in many NFL cities, they change coaches every two or three years and NEVER find guys capable of winning as much as Garrett has already. Those streaks of futility are a lot worse than what you have had inDallas the last seven seasons. You don’t notice them as much because they’re punctuated by three or four different coaching hires and your conditioned to give each new guy a couple of years. But the net result is fewer wins over that span and teams that are in the sidelines right now.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As a HC, I hate Garrett with a passion (sorta kidding) but if we win on Saturday and better yet get to the SB then he would basically shut all of us haters up.
Right now, he`s done nothing more than what he did in 2014 and 2016, with a very easy schedule might I say.

I’m just liking the “shut all you haters up” part of this post. :)

Reactions: Coy
Status
Not open for further replies.