Garrett Just Keeps Running Left

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Rack;2408173 said:
Good point.

Edit: By the way, Felix' 68 (?) yard TD run was ... to the left.
What do you expect when you run 3 plays in a row with Barber (all to the right), then have Felix take his first step to the right before getting the handoff?

Garrett set that one up beautifully.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
percyhoward;2408125 said:
No. Two of his three TD's were on the right side.

Are you sure? I seem to remember both td's being on the left. 2 of the 3 anyway. The other one was when he hit the ride side and just outran everyone.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
percyhoward;2408195 said:
What do you expect when you run 3 plays in a row with Barber (all to the right), then have Felix take his first step to the right before getting the handoff?

Garrett set that one up beautifully.

That would be nice... if it were true.

1-10-DAL 12 (7:53) 24-M.Barber right guard to DAL 22 for 10 yards (37-A.Rouse).
1-10-DAL 22 (7:17) 24-M.Barber right tackle to DAL 28 for 6 yards (56-N.Barnett, 54-B.Chillar).
2-4-DAL 28 (6:46) (Shotgun) 9-T.Romo pass short right to 81-T.Owens to DAL 40 for 12 yards (26-C.Peprah, 54-B.Chillar).
1-10-DAL 40 (6:15) 28-F.Jones left end for 60 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
rocyaice;2408196 said:
Are you sure?
RG for 11 at CLE
LE for 60 at GB
RE for 33 vs CIN

But I'm not saying we never have success running left anyway. I also wouldn't use Felix's runs as indicators of Garrett's playcalling tendencies, because Felix only got about 5 carries per game when he was playing.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Rack;2408198 said:
That would be nice... if it were true.

1-10-DAL 12 (7:53) 24-M.Barber right guard to DAL 22 for 10 yards (37-A.Rouse).
1-10-DAL 22 (7:17) 24-M.Barber right tackle to DAL 28 for 6 yards (56-N.Barnett, 54-B.Chillar).
2-4-DAL 28 (6:46) (Shotgun) 9-T.Romo pass short right to 81-T.Owens to DAL 40 for 12 yards (26-C.Peprah, 54-B.Chillar).
1-10-DAL 40 (6:15) 28-F.Jones left end for 60 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

The last 3 runs were all Barber and all to the right.

That is true.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
did Tony Sparano make Garrett look better than he really is last season?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Rampage;2408207 said:
You know, that's an interesting bizarre question.

khiladi

Reaction score
Rampage;2408207 said:

Did Tony Sparano make this offense look worse the year before, when Garrett wasn't here?

mwj473

Reaction score
percyhoward;2408200 said:

That is true.

When you throw stats out like that, you need to define what you mean by left, middle, & right. Maybe it is me, but I would consider any run inside both tackles to be a middle run. I highly doubt only a run up the centers butt to be a "middle" run. If you run between the tackles, the blocks on the backside are just as important as the blocks on the playside. If you run outside the tackle, more than likely the backside folks will not chase it down.

As mentioned earlier, you need to seperate the data and define it.

Edit: You may want to get data on whether he is running strong side, weak side, or in double TE's. That might be more telling than anything.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
khiladi;2408240 said:
Did Tony Sparano make this offense look worse the year before, when Garrett wasn't here?

the offense was fine in 06, I know what you are implying, but it was fine.

and alot of the conservative stuff was run to keep the defense off the field and protect it, because it wasnt very good.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
wow....that is amazing stuff.....I wonder if the red headed genius knows it?

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
mwj473;2408257 said:
When you throw stats out like that, you need to define what you mean by left, middle, & right. Maybe it is me, but I would consider any run inside both tackles to be a middle run. I highly doubt only a run up the centers butt to be a "middle" run. If you run between the tackles, the blocks on the backside are just as important as the blocks on the playside. If you run outside the tackle, more than likely the backside folks will not chase it down.

As mentioned earlier, you need to seperate the data and define it.

Edit: You may want to get data on whether he is running strong side, weak side, or in double TE's. That might be more telling than anything.
Since you don't normally run directly into the center's back on purpose, I think almost anybody would consider any run inside the guards a middle run. I assume that's what the people who put together the gamebooks do. (And as mentioned earlier, this data comes straight from the gamebooks.) And your point about which of the OL gets the credit is a valid one, even to the extent that a pulling LG can make a great block on a run to the right, as Procter has a few times, believe it or not. That's why it would be hard to assign credit or blame for who did what on any particular play, just going by the gamebooks. You'd have to watch game video for that, and that's not what the post was about.

I'm talking about playcalling. 19% of all Barber's first half runs in the losses were to the right. 54% in the wins. Whether that means right of the RG or right of the RT, I assume it means the same thing for every game, no matter the formation.

Again. 19%. 54%. Whether it was 2TE, 3TE, 3 wide, whatever.

khiladi

Reaction score
theebs;2408261 said:

and alot of the conservative stuff was run to keep the defense off the field and protect it, because it wasnt very good.

You mean all those 3 and outs were meant to keep the defense off the field..

Brilliant..

Correction... Our offense was 'fine' in 2006 when Romo was inserted into the line-up, otherwise our offense was inept... And I would also like to note, the offense led by Sparano failed in December as well. Tony Romo was getting hit and was turning the ball over. The Detroit game is a prime example.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
percyhoward;2408200 said:

That is true.

Nevermind the fact that 3 plays were ran between his first run to the right, and his second run to the right, nor the fact that those three runs took place within two separate drives...

JordanTaber

Benched
Reaction score
theebs;2408261 said:

Had Romo started the entire season in 06, the 06 offense may have been even better statistically-speaking than the 07 offense.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
khiladi;2408240 said:

We had a good offense the year before Garrett was here, and that was despite having Bledsoe at QB for almost half a season.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
percyhoward;2408291 said:
Since you don't normally run directly into the center's back

jones1.jpg

:D

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
khiladi;2408320 said:
You mean all those 3 and outs were meant to keep the defense off the field..

Brilliant..

Correction... Our offense was 'fine' in 2006 when Romo was inserted into the line-up, otherwise our offense was inept... And I would also like to note, the offense led by Sparano failed in December as well. Tony Romo was getting hit and was turning the ball over. The Detroit game is a prime example.

We were 5th in offense in 2006, that's better than "Fine". We were 4th in points per game, again that's better than "Fine".

The lowest scoring total we had while Bledsoe was QB was 17 poitns (in week 1). Other than that the lowest was 24. Our highest scoring game of the year was when Bledsoe was QB (45 points).

Our offense production that year wasn't all cuz of Romo. That's pretty impressive, IMO, for Sparano to get production like that with that crappy QB.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
JordanTaber;2408334 said:
Had Romo started the entire season in 06, the 06 offense may have been even better statistically-speaking than the 07 offense.

shhh

that doesnt fit the agenda.