Garrett outcoached boy genius

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Funny how the tables turned with Jason basically knocking the Rams out of the playoffs a week after the Rams looked they were back with an impressive win against Seattle.

The boy genius everyone was heralding last year as the new model for coaching in the NFL as he took it to Garrett in the playoffs going to Super Bowl has suddenly turned sour.

How could a spiraling down HC like Garrett blow out a genius in almost every facet of the game but the coin flip? :)

Angus12

Reaction score
Could you explain to us where exactly coaching decisions tipped the balance of that game? Maybe I was watching a different game than you. What I saw was an inspired defense and an opposing QB that was terribly off all game long.

You mentioned the coin flip. Today it's been reported that the gaff came from D. Lawrence talking Dak into changing what we wanted to do at the last second. Dak was going to receive, D Law wanted the defense on the field. Since when do the players decide what we do if we win the toss? That's pretty obvious proof that the players aren't listening to the HC. They make their own decisions on something like that? Good Lord. Jason Garrett has GOT to go if we ever want any chance of winning anything of significance.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
McVay took over an underachieving Rams team from a mediocre coach a few years back in Fisher. He has already brought the Rams to one Super Bowl and has made them competitive. He’s still a pretty good coach yesterday doesn’t take away what he has achieved so far in little time being a coach. 10 years with Garrett and not one NFC championship game much less a super bowl appearance but yesterday’s game makes McVay suck and Garrett better? I’m not buying it I would still take McVay over Garrett any day.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Funny how the tables turned with Jason basically knocking the Rams out of the playoffs a week after the Rams looked they were back with an impressive win against Seattle.

The boy genius everyone was heralding last year as the new model for coaching in the NFL as he took it to Garrett in the playoffs going to Super Bowl has suddenly turned sour.

How could a spiraling down HC like Garrett blow out a genius in almost every facet of the game but the coin flip? :)

McVay looked like a kid who got his candy stolen at the end of the game yesterday. Timeouts, and challenges he just didnt want to take the L. He got his players ribs cracked in the endzone on a meaningless TD

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Cowboys lose = outcoached
Cowboys win = nothing to do with coaching

I want JG gone too, but this hypocrisy just looks silly.
It's not hypocrisy. The team can lose and it's clear coaching was a major issue. And the team can win and it be clear that coaching wasn't the reason they won. A completely random blowout win after a string of losses usually isn't due to great coaching.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's not hypocrisy. The team can lose and it's clear coaching was a major issue. And the team can win and it be clear that coaching wasn't the reason they won. A completely random blowout win after a string of losses usually isn't due to great coaching.
If course it’s hypocrisy and clear personal agendas. You can’t blame for losses and not provide credit with wins. Well, you can but then we will call it out. Lol

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
It’s one thing to get blown out in the regular season, it’s something else when that happens in the playoffs!

A 2-3 record over ten years in the playoffs (missing the playoffs five times) is terrible.

It was great that the team was tackling so well (where has that been all season?), great play calling by Moore, great plan on D, etc.

I want to see this team perform as they did last night consistently, where playing as they have most of the season is an anomaly. And I want to see everything even improve in the playoffs!

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I think the assistants provide nothing. IDK if you can say JG isnt holding this team together. The OC and DC were doing exactly what they have been doing all yr. Calling plays that are working against whats working, Credit Dak and Lee/Jaylon for adjusting on the field.

shabazz

Reaction score
It’s only coaching when we lose.

Fair point of course. As we know the coaches and Qb's get way too much credit or blame in Wins and losses

We tend to see the coaching decisions when they are time management issues or challenges etc, the game planning and adjustments dont stand out as much as they should

Zman5

Reaction score
I noticed JG wasn't clapping as much yesterday. I think that confused McVay. Yeh so you can say JG did out coach McVay with a brilliant strategy.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Jason didn't get outcoached because he did less coaching than usual. It was obvious that it was more of a Moore-influenced game plan - looked a lot like weeks 1-3 before JG got in the way in the Saints game.

And no, it's not hypocritical or anything to give players credit when they win and give JG credit for losses. This team wins - as it has for a long time - because of talent and in spite of the head coach's game day incompetence.