Garrett outcoached boy genius

shabazz

Reaction score
BS.
And Dak's injured hand was not accounted for?

Dak accounted for his injury; "“Just a couple of bruises,” Prescott said Thursday. “I’ll probably wear the same tape in the game, but that’s that…Nothing serious.”

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Could you explain to us where exactly coaching decisions tipped the balance of that game? Maybe I was watching a different game than you. What I saw was an inspired defense and an opposing QB that was terribly off all game long.

You mentioned the coin flip. Today it's been reported that the gaff came from D. Lawrence talking Dak into changing what we wanted to do at the last second. Dak was going to receive, D Law wanted the defense on the field. Since when do the players decide what we do if we win the toss? That's pretty obvious proof that the players aren't listening to the HC. They make their own decisions on something like that? Good Lord. Jason Garrett has GOT to go if we ever want any chance of winning anything of significance.

Off the top of my head, we were pressing wide receivers much more aggressively and running a lot more off tackle. They rotated the LB more and played a heck of a lot more 12 and 22.

At the same time players like Woods, Smith, and TFred stepped up their games. Watching Jaylon take on blocks with attitude was a sight for sore eyes.

BleedinBlue

Reaction score
so Garrett is 50/50 this year against opposing coaches? He can have credit for the wins and losses but 7-7 isn't saying much. Get to the NFCCG and we might have something to talk about otherwise we should be looking for a get us over the hump coach.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Could you explain to us where exactly coaching decisions tipped the balance of that game? Maybe I was watching a different game than you. What I saw was an inspired defense and an opposing QB that was terribly off all game long.

You mentioned the coin flip. Today it's been reported that the gaff came from D. Lawrence talking Dak into changing what we wanted to do at the last second. Dak was going to receive, D Law wanted the defense on the field. Since when do the players decide what we do if we win the toss? That's pretty obvious proof that the players aren't listening to the HC. They make their own decisions on something like that? Good Lord. Jason Garrett has GOT to go if we ever want any chance of winning anything of significance.
game plan?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak is a much better QB and was able to play effectively through it

So Garrett out coached McVay then, because he let Dak play through it and improved over the game.
As where Goff was getting worse, but yet boy genius kept him in the game.

OK.

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
The game plans for both the OL blocking schemes and the defensive front 7 run fits were sound - so game planning and practice during the week worked out this time. That had an positive effect on other complimentary aspects of the game such as defensive secondary and the success of offensive skill players.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Solid performance all around. Excellent game plan, prep and execution. Best game since Philly game.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Cowboys lose = outcoached
Cowboys win = nothing to do with coaching

I want JG gone too, but this hypocrisy just looks silly.
If you look at it closer it does help explain the up and down roller coaster seasons that happen every year of Garrett's tenure. That's why people are reluctant to give him too much credit.........you simply can't tell if it truly is his coaching or if the player step up on their own.............bottom line is he's way too inconsistent to be a good NFL HC.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Funny how the tables turned with Jason basically knocking the Rams out of the playoffs a week after the Rams looked they were back with an impressive win against Seattle.

The boy genius everyone was heralding last year as the new model for coaching in the NFL as he took it to Garrett in the playoffs going to Super Bowl has suddenly turned sour.

How could a spiraling down HC like Garrett blow out a genius in almost every facet of the game but the coin flip? :)
It’s one game.

That has been the problem with Garrett, he can have an impressive win here and there but he never builds off it. He needs to string together multiple games like this in a row to finish out the season and go deep into the playoffs to earn an extension.

History says that is highly unlikely but we shall see.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It's not hypocrisy. The talent is great and the head coach is terrible.
although according to Aikman some coaches think the cowboys talent is over rated....but as cowboys fans, we can spin our talent to be better than anybody else in the league and some how in our minds justify it, yet we criticize zeke, dak, cooper, gallup, witten, martin, Fredrick, smith, Lawrence, LVE, Lee, Awuzie, Woods.....but at the same time claim, talent is great..

not saying coaching doesn't need to change or improve, but the all of nothing is just plain silly

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Funny how the tables turned with Jason basically knocking the Rams out of the playoffs a week after the Rams looked they were back with an impressive win against Seattle.

The boy genius everyone was heralding last year as the new model for coaching in the NFL as he took it to Garrett in the playoffs going to Super Bowl has suddenly turned sour.

How could a spiraling down HC like Garrett blow out a genius in almost every facet of the game but the coin flip? :)

B/c its not ALL about the coaches? Even boy geniuses need a QB that can grip a football.

Angus12

Reaction score
Cowboys lose = outcoached
Cowboys win = nothing to do with coaching

I want JG gone too, but this hypocrisy just looks silly.
Could you show me where I said anything like that?I didn't say anything about anybody outcoaching anybody. But the OP did. I was just asking for an example of it. So, your hypocrisy comment just looks silly.

It was a game where the opposing QB played poorly, and it snowballed on them. It happens. To both good and bad teams. Goff was missing badly on throws all game long. Whether we had pressure on him, or not.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s one thing to get blown out in the regular season, it’s something else when that happens in the playoffs!

A 2-3 record over ten years in the playoffs (missing the playoffs five times) is terrible.

It was great that the team was tackling so well (where has that been all season?), great play calling by Moore, great plan on D, etc.

I want to see this team perform as they did last night consistently, where playing as they have most of the season is an anomaly. And I want to see everything even improve in the playoffs!
It’s not terrible with the Cowboys in Jerrys puppet era.
Garretts record is best we’ve seen in a couple decades.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Yep, the Rams seemed shocked that they were unable to run the ball vs Dallas and didn't have any adjustments to get the offense going.

Angus12

Reaction score
game plan?
And I'll certainly give credit for that. We came out with a good game plan, and the coaches deserve credit for that. We certainly looked different on offense than we have for most of the season. One shining example is sticking with the run when it was working well, instead of abandoning it like we've done in the recent past. Maybe Dak's finger was a reason for that. Who knows?

Creeper

Reaction score
Garrett did a good job yesterday. He had his team prepared and this is what we have complained about for years, haven't we? He also made good game decisions. The decision to go for it on 4th down deep in Rams territory was the right one for a change. The way Zeke was running the football and the way the OL was blocking, it was the right decision at the right time. He has often failed in these situations by running when they were struggling to run. He got it right and I give him credit for it. All the FG decisions were right as well. Its amazing how right decision are when they work! But, those were the correct decisions at the time.

We even saw him saying something to Bennett after he lined up offsides twice. It didn't work because Bennett continued to line up offsides from what I could see but at least he wasn't called for it every time.

To me, it changes nothing as far as his job security. There are too many games when they are not prepared and he doesn't make good decisions. This is one game. But, I think if Garrett wins the division by beating the Eagles next week he saves his job.