Garrett outcoached boy genius

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jason didn't get outcoached because he did less coaching than usual. It was obvious that it was more of a Moore-influenced game plan - looked a lot like weeks 1-3 before JG got in the way in the Saints game.

And no, it's not hypocritical or anything to give players credit when they win and give JG credit for losses. This team wins - as it has for a long time - because of talent and in spite of the head coach's game day incompetence.
Of course its hypocrisy or you’d blame the players in a loss. Believe what you will but we all see the personal agendas for what they are .

Carter

Reaction score
It’s not terrible with the Cowboys in Jerrys puppet era.
Garretts record is best we’ve seen in a couple decades.

2-3 in the Playoffs with 5x missing Playoffs is all whats counting.

No one gives a rats *** about Moral Wins in the regular Season.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Of course its hypocrisy or you’d blame the players in a loss. Believe what you will but we all see the personal agendas for what they are .
Players get their share of blame for losses, sure. Missed tackles don't have anything to do with coaches.

But Jason Garrett has 0 influence on this team winning games. His presence is detrimental, always has been.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
although according to Aikman some coaches think the cowboys talent is over rated....but as cowboys fans, we can spin our talent to be better than anybody else in the league and some how in our minds justify it, yet we criticize zeke, dak, cooper, gallup, witten, martin, Fredrick, smith, Lawrence, LVE, Lee, Awuzie, Woods.....but at the same time claim, talent is great..

not saying coaching doesn't need to change or improve, but the all of nothing is just plain silly
Yea but the second half of that statement was that every staff thinks the Cowboys are very talented. I'll pose this question again, which 5 teams in the NFL have more talent?

Also, we can pick on the defense, but this is the third game against a good team where they've played really, really well. NO, NE, and now LA have all been held to 1 touchdown - outside of the two garbage-time TDs late.

mardwin

Reaction score
The team was motivated and their backs were against the wall, excellent reaction but can they show up in similar fashion against the Eagles?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Fair point of course. As we know the coaches and Qb's get way too much credit or blame in Wins and losses

We tend to see the coaching decisions when they are time management issues or challenges etc, the game planning and adjustments dont stand out as much as they should

Yes, they do.

Games like this are why Garrett has been able to keep this job for a decade. He's not as bad of a head coach as some like to make him out to be. There are multiple facets to winning and losing, and coaching is just one of them.

I want him gone because he's had his time to get this team to the Super Bowl and someone else needs to be given a shot, and I think his overall coaching philosophy is poor and does not create enough advantages through scheme for his teams.

Individual games sway me less than overall performance because individual performances can swing from game to game by both teams playing. Garrett has not gotten us to a Super Bowl, has not gotten us really that close to one, and insanity would be believing we can do the same thing and expect a different result.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Players get their share of blame for losses, sure. Missed tackles don't have anything to do with coaches.

But Jason Garrett has 0 influence on this team winning games. His presence is detrimental, always has been.
I certainly don’t see as much blame from Jerry or fans on players poor performances. I’d argue Garrett is more the token target.

And you can continue saying or believing Garrett has zero influence on wins but more in losses. Buts it’s pure hypocrisy. It’s how you may see it but you’re providing no other substantial evidence.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I certainly don’t see as much blame from Jerry or fans on players poor performances. I’d argue Garrett is more the token target.
That's b/c JG puts the talent in disadvantageous positions.

The blame is rightfully targeted towards him.

DFWJC

Reaction score
so Garrett is 50/50 this year against opposing coaches? He can have credit for the wins and losses but 7-7 isn't saying much. Get to the NFCCG and we might have something to talk about otherwise we should be looking for a get us over the hump coach.
Yep, both the players and the coaches are 7-7 this year
Should be better

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes, they do.

Games like this are why Garrett has been able to keep this job for a decade. He's not as bad of a head coach as some like to make him out to be. There are multiple facets to winning and losing, and coaching is just one of them.

I want him gone because he's had his time to get this team to the Super Bowl and someone else needs to be given a shot, and I think his overall coaching philosophy is poor and does not create enough advantages through scheme for his teams.

Individual games sway me less than overall performance because individual performances can swing from game to game by both teams playing. Garrett has not gotten us to a Super Bowl, has not gotten us really that close to one, and insanity would be believing we can do the same thing and expect a different result.
I’d agree if we could with all certainty determine this has been or is a Super Bowl caliber team.

I certainly didn’t see us as even a Final 4 team last year. And definitely not this year.

Now if it’s on Garrett for not amassing a greater team then yea, after 10 years he should be gone.

And that’s normally the bar in NFL. But it’s a little different here.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That's b/c JG puts the talent in disadvantageous positions.

The blame is rightfully targeted towards him.
That’s an opinion you believe strongly in not a proven fact. Hopefully you realize the difference.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
That’s an opinion you believe strongly in not a proven fact. Hopefully you realize the difference.
Sure.

There's just a decade of evidence supporting the opinion that Jason Garrett is a crappy head coach.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Sure.

There's just a decade of evidence supporting the opinion that Jason Garrett is a crappy head coach.
I’d argue he hovers around average to below or slightly above average from year to year. “ crappy “ is a very subjective description. It might have definitive meaning to you .

When you consider Jerry’s not interested in a great HC it limits our prospects. We have done worse.

What he exceeds in is helping influence Jerry’s idiocy and ability to coexist in dysfunctional organization.

Last edited:

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jason didn't get outcoached because he did less coaching than usual. It was obvious that it was more of a Moore-influenced game plan - looked a lot like weeks 1-3 before JG got in the way in the Saints game.

And no, it's not hypocritical or anything to give players credit when they win and give JG credit for losses. This team wins - as it has for a long time - because of talent and in spite of the head coach's game day incompetence.

Hm running out of 2 TE sets is a staple garrett thing, well it's a staple for many teams. Looks like they went back to using 2 TE sets and we dominated on the ground, precisely the type of game Garrett has tried implementing since he was hired. hate him if you want this game plan has his fingerprints all over it.

NorTex

Reaction score
so Garrett is 50/50 this year against opposing coaches? He can have credit for the wins and losses but 7-7 isn't saying much. Get to the NFCCG and we might have something to talk about otherwise we should be looking for a get us over the hump coach.
But Garrett is 2-0 this year against the last 2 NFC Super Bowl coaches....hmmm.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Could you explain to us where exactly coaching decisions tipped the balance of that game?
I believe he is mocking the idiocy in the fact that every time the Cowboys lose, its said that Garrett was out-coached. When they win, he never out-coaches the other guy, the players just rose to the challenge.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I’d agree if we could with all certainty determine this has been or is a Super Bowl caliber team.

I certainly didn’t see us as even a Final 4 team last year. And definitely not this year.

Now if it’s on Garrett for not amassing a greater team then yea, after 10 years he should be gone.

And that’s normally the bar in NFL. But it’s a little different here.

The bar for top coaches has been set at five years or fewer to reach the Super Bowl. If a coach can't do that, then you give the next coach a shot.

There will always be excuses for why they did not succeed. You can question the talent they've been given to work with, injuries derailing the team, etc. Eventually, you have to say this is not working and give someone else a shot. (Frankly, that's the only way you'll know if it's more of a talent issue than a coaching issue.)

I use the five-year standard because over the last 20-plus years, every Super Bowl coach has gotten there within five years of coaching his team. There has not been a single one in the salary cap era who took more than five years to get there. (I had thought there was one, but going back and looking again, I can't find one.)

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Cowboys lose = outcoached
Cowboys win = nothing to do with coaching

I want JG gone too, but this hypocrisy just looks silly.

Nope..

10 years with different rosters have proven this point.

Dallas wins with talent. What they do is what they do. If it works then great and if it doesn't then just take the L.

This year it's made us a 7-7 team with some of the best talent in football.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Hm running out of 2 TE sets is a staple garrett thing, well it's a staple for many teams. Looks like they went back to using 2 TE sets and we dominated on the ground, precisely the type of game Garrett has tried implementing since he was hired. hate him if you want this game plan has his fingerprints all over it.
Um, no it didn't.

Zeke had a touch on 4/15 first-and-10 plays. The number over the previous 3 weeks was over 50%. This was a Kellen Moore game.