News: Garrett: Rushing Success Affected Romo’s Rhythm

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
What's next?

"We're not used to the Defense getting 3 and outs so quickly. It threw off Tony's rhythm in the passing game."

(who am I kidding, this defense will never be spoken about in that light)

popp1234

Reaction score
Romo better find his rhythm soon, we don't need a 100 million dollar QB holding us back.

It still blows my mind as to why they invested in Romo like that, as if we had all other pieces in place to make a run.

Nav22

Reaction score
For my part, I'd rather have the reactions be based on reason and not emotions. And there's no reason for anybody to get worked up about a coach saying a QB sometimes needs to find a rhythm.
Perfectly stated.

Exactly why I said I love threads like this nowadays. Easy way to weed out the emotional from the reasonable. Gives me a chuckle to read the absurd conclusions people jump to over a harmless comment made by the unpopular head coach.

Especially since what he said wasn't even inaccurate to begin with. Classic!

Nav22

Reaction score
And you make sure to attack anyone not towing the company line Mr. Simpson.

What smart, rational people do is read a headline, then leap face-first to the very first conclusion their emotions take them to.

*Gasp*

Hey, that's what YOU did just 3 minutes after the OP! Complete with angry smiley!

Forgive me, Sir! *bows down*

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It still blows my mind as to why they invested in Romo like that, as if we had all other pieces in place to make a run.
With NFL teams compensating their franchise-level players with ever increasing shares of a growing 9 billion dollar plus industry, it shocks me that Tony Romo's contract befuddles people still. I am guessing general confusion will incrementally subside as more mind-blowing contracts are handed out to more franchise-level players in the future.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What smart, rational people do is read a headline, then leap face-first to the very first conclusion their emotions take them to.

*Gasp*

Hey, that's what YOU did just 3 minutes after the OP! Complete with angry smiley!

Forgive me, Sir! *bows down*

What some people - who think they're smart - do is to have the unmitigated gall to try - and fail - to tell others what to think.

It's certainly no 'leap' to believe that an under-qualified coach who has never been able to grasp the nuances of the running game would consider yet again shifting away from it.

Facts and history are clearly on the side of the doubters, despite what any of the 'Super Fans' who feel obligated to rush to the defensive, may want to believe.

Garrett gets this criticism because he's earned it.

We all hope that there's 'nothing to see here', but with the head coach's track record, he doesn't get that benefit of the doubt.

Gaede

Reaction score
If anything, this should prove to Garrett that the original formula of throwing all the time was good for To o but bad for the team

Now Romo may be off his rhythm, but at least everyone else is in sync

Perhaps we Romo needs to adjust his rhythm to the team, as opposed to the other way around

Sydla

Reaction score
This is basically Garrett warning everyone that they won't run as much because they need Romo to feel comfortable. And the only way to do that is let him throw a ton.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is basically Garrett warning everyone that they won't run as much because they need Romo to feel comfortable. And the only way to do that is let him throw a ton.

Better be careful, the Opinion Police will be all over you for that one!

:popcorn:

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
For my part, I'd rather have the reactions be based on reason and not emotions. And there's no reason for anybody to get worked up about a coach saying a QB sometimes needs to find a rhythm.

Not sure you're being entirely fair here.

Fans generally have the impression, for a number of reasons (not least that on occasion he appears to have abandoned the run game prematurely), that Garrett isn't committed to having a strong ground attack. When he throws up an explanation for Romo's errant passes that virtually never (if ever) gets trotted out, it's not crazy to suppose that he's warming fans and media up to the notion that we won't be seeing that kind of run-dominant attack too often (and that he's offering an apology (in the truest sense of the word) for that in advance).

You posted elsewhere in this thread another quote suggesting that this isn't the case: in words, at least, Garrett appears committed to a strong run game, what he calls a "balanced attack". I think the problem many are having is that historically Garrett-led teams have had offences that struck too pass-heavy a "balance". The offending quote makes people uncomfortable because it hints that Garrett is already finding reasons to fall back into that pattern, even in the immediate wake of having found success by breaking the pattern.

Wolfpack

Reaction score

Fans generally have the impression, for a number of reasons (not least that on occasion he appears to have abandoned the run game prematurely), that Garrett isn't committed to having a strong ground attack. When he throws up an explanation for Romo's errant passes that virtually never (if ever) gets trotted out, it's not crazy to suppose that he's warming fans and media up to the notion that we won't be seeing that kind of run-dominant attack too often (and that he's offering an apology (in the truest sense of the word) for that in advance).

You posted elsewhere in this thread another quote suggesting that this isn't the case: in words, at least, Garrett appears committed to a strong run game, what he calls a "balanced attack". I think the problem many are having is that historically Garrett-led teams have had offences that struck too pass-heavy a "balance". The offending quote makes people uncomfortable because it hints that Garrett is already finding reasons to fall back into that pattern, even in the immediate wake of having found success by breaking the pattern.

Very articulate post.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

One, thanks for the reasonable response.

Two, while I understand that that's what some people are concerned about, it's still a mistake to take this one quote out of context and to come to the wrong conclusion. Especially when there's a direct quote to the opposite provided in the same thread. To jump to a wrong conclusion and call the guy an idiot to-boot, when he's obviously just running a small bit of interference for his QB...that's not crazy, but it's definitely not rational.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I've heard this before and it's fairly common with offensive minded, passing oriented coaches. They like to get the QB throwing a short pass on the 1st play of the drive to get the QB into a rhythm.

The problem is that they usually end up throwing the ball too often in hopes of getting the QB into a rhythm and I think the entire rhythm thing is overblown.

It doesn't equate to the same thing as a 'running back needing to get into a rhythm' because the QB on a low amount of passes in a game is still throwing the ball about 30 times a game. When a RB can't get into a rhythm, it's usually because they are only getting 4 or 5 run attempts before getting yanked.

This has me concerned because it tells me that at the first hint of trouble with the running game that we will abandon the run and start throwing again.

Garrett could really take some cues from Tom Osborne as to how to manage a game and the offensive playcalling. Despite being a wishbone, heavy run oriented offense, Osborne knew how deal with certain plays that were not working or when the running game as a whole was getting stifled.

One of my favorite games was against the U. of Miami in Warren Sapp's senior year (I remember this game vividly because I bet a week's paycheck against my friend that Nebraska would win).

Throughout the game Nebraska would hand the ball to the fullback and only gain 1, maybe 2-yards. And they would do it on 1st and 2nd down.

I couldn't understand why Osborne insisted on running that play because it wasn't working and the only time they could gain yards was running to the outside or faking the run and throwing.

And still into the 2nd half, Osborne would keep using the FB run and only get 1-2 yards.

Eventually the FB in the 4th quarter started to pop off a 4-yard carry, then a 8-yard carry. But then back down to a play where he got stuffed. Eventually on a critical play late in the 4th quarter, they handed it to the fullback and the defense wasn't prepared for it and the fullback had a 20-yard carry for a TD to seal the game.

And it dawned on me the greatness of Osborne's playcalling. Not every play is going to gain significant yards. So he used the play with little likelihood of gaining big yards to keep the defense honest and to set up the perimeter runs and the passes. And when Miami gambled too much on the perimeter runs...that FB run was right there for the taking.

Unfortunately, it seems like Garrett wants to throw the ball because he feels they'll likely gain more yards than if they run. But, there is nothing there to keep the defense honest in any capacity and for all the worry and concern about getting Romo in a rhythm, it doesn't make Romo's job easier.

YR

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
This stuff about Romo losing his rhythm due to leaning upon a successful running game seems to me to be a maneuver by Garrett to deflect any conceivable blame for Romo being rusty. It's no secret Romo wanted more snaps in TC practices while Garrett favored 'erring on the side of caution' with Romo's health. Without a doubt, there must necessarily be a happy medium there. Obviously, there's a awkward scenario taking place with the nagging predicament that Romo's health concerns present. Surely, Garrett and Romo are both under pressure.

I don't think there's any question that both Romo and Garrett have legitimate concerns about their images being tarnished with Tony's back problems apparently being the catalyst of ongoing difficulty in making the offense as effective as it should be. After all, the futures of both of these gentlemen are at stake with the road ahead being somewhat of a slippery slope. How the offense is manipulated in the future weeks and months promise to be of significant importance to the success of both the team and Romo and Garrett individually.

In the meantime, the juggling act regarding Romo's practicing vs. resting continues. Tony's game preparation and his delicate health concerns are seemingly butting heads in the process. Evidently, the success of Dallas' running game is way more of a blessing than a curse to Tony's performance. Tony's 'rhythm' may have to take a back seat for awhile. The offense is in a good place right now with the running game doing what it must to keep the defense functioning at an optimal level. It might well be a blunder to back off from the running game, just when the offense is showing such promising signs of life. Let's hope that won't be in the cards going forward.

Last edited:

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Last week Romo was rusty and this week it's because of the running game. What will it be next week? Just admit he isn't healthy and get on with it. Making excuses for Romo is getting old. I don't care what his stats are as long as we win. Stick to the running game.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
How about Romo just needs to execute the damn play, just like every other player is asked to do.

Judging by the number of running plays that were exectuted vs. Tennessee last Sunday, I can't help but get the feeling that that subject was discussed at length before Romo ever stepped onto the field in that game. It might be interesting to see if that trend continues. I hope so. Romo's in no condition to attempt to carry the load now.

elcowboi

Reaction score
As long as they keep giving the ball to Murray I really don't care what Garrett says!!!!!!!