News: Garrett: Rushing Success Affected Romo’s Rhythm

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Even taking the Romo part out of it.

This is just the type of silly nonsense a former QB turned NFL head coach would say.

Doomsay

Reaction score
Kinda the flip side of the "running backs need to get into a rhythm" argument, isn't it?

I know it's fun to call the coach an idiot in every thread, but I'd prefer to save the juicy terms for things that are actually idiotic.

This would be one of those times.

Doomsay

Reaction score
Laughably bad excuse. That is a typical Garrett-ism type comment. Would love to keep this rushing rhythm going as it's something we haven't really had in a long long time.

More importantly, a good coach would transform a solid rushing game into a successful play action advantage for an obviously compromised QB, rather than convert it into an excuse for said player's passing shortfalls.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
After week one, I read on here that Romo checked out of runs b/c he didn't trust his oline due to years of bad oline play.

Now week 2 when he looks rusty again, I read that he played bad b/c the oline was too good and didn't allow him to throw himself into a rhythm.

When does this "romo friendly" buffoonery end?

When people admit that no quarterback will be the same after multiple back surgeries.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right, you can't defend Garrett's assertion ....,again.

If you're not going to read the thread in the first place, why would I bother to explain it again?

At the end of the day, you're going to choose to believe whatever combination of emotional overreactions makes you feel most comfortable. Nothing I say is going to change that. I'll stick to pointing it out now and then when the leapt-to conclusion is so obvious that it offends my sensibilities.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
So, a good running game is NOT a quarterback's best friend? Now, I am really confused.

Apparently Troy Aikman had the same problem with his running game .... NOT!!! Garrett is really digging deep to justify keeping his "genius" potential as a coach. Sounding smart does not work when you say stupid things.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, a good running game is NOT a quarterback's best friend? Now, I am really confused.

Pretty simple. A good running game can both be a big advantage, and--if you're running it enough--it can also affect a QBs rhythm in the passing game. The two ideas aren't mutually exclusive. I don't understand why we can't all keep these slightly competing notions in our heads without them exploding in feigned confusion. If he said a steady diet of passing the ball might affect a ball carrier's rhythm, nobody would bat an eye. By most accounts, playing QB is a more complicated position than playing RB. Why wouldn't rhythm and the repetition also be helpful for a QB?

Doomsay

Reaction score
Sometimes when you play quarterback and you’re running the ball a lot — and that’s the feature part of your offense — sometimes you can get out of whack a little bit because you’re not having the normal and natural rhythm that you have every week,” said Garrett with Shan & RJ on 105.3 The Fan.

They ran the ball because they could and because they didn't want Romo to throw the game away like he did in the prior week, anything else is just an untruth. If the team's running success negatively influenced the QB, than he is in a league of none.

Last edited:

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
If all you see is doom and gloom in what he says and what the organization does and what they put on the field ....and a conspiracy in everything someone says... have at it.

Thanksgiving has been one of the most enjoyable days of the year for me as a Cowboys fan (no matter what kind of team shows up on the field). This year I can't have a meal with my family because of my sister's "Romo Rants". Sucks all the joy out of the game for me.

Oh yes, I get frustrated with his play at times and the organizational moves. But I choose to use my energy looking for the stuff I can root for. So whatever makes you happy or gets you off ... again, have at it. I just wanted to add my 2cents. Its free.

I guarantee if I was at Thanksgiving at your house, and you saw me on game day, you would wonder what all this is about.

I am not all doom and gloom. I seldom talk about things I agree with because then we all are just nodding together like Buddhists at the airport. It's discussing the things we don't agree on that makes this pl;ace worthwhile.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Uhhh, JG using the running game as an excuse for Romos ridiculous past two games is the immaculate leap...And when you see Romo roll his eyes, and get visibly upset because another run is the play call, it doesn't take a leap at all. Tony opting to call off a run for a pass on the 1 yard line two weeks in a row is proof enough.

Are u serious? He rolled his eyes and got upset? Bench him now!!! Man I'm so sick of this stat padder.....

gmoney112

Reaction score
Haha, everything Jason says is completely dissected, word for word. I can't think of any other coach in any sport that gets more flack for saying things offhandedly than Jason.

That being said, if this was his response then he was better off saying nothing at all. Yes rhythm is obviously important in any sport, but this rationale makes little sense. If you have eyes you can see Tony isn't playing well. I don't know what the issue is, but it's not because Demarco is getting more carries.

He'd be better off sticking to the Belichek script. When he goes improv sometimes I think he says things I don't even really think he believes.

popp1234

Reaction score
Pretty simple. A good running game can both be a big advantage, and--if you're running it enough--it can also affect a QBs rhythm in the passing game. The two ideas aren't mutually exclusive. I don't understand why we can't all keep these slightly competing notions in our heads without them exploding in feigned confusion. If he said a steady diet of passing the ball might affect a ball carrier's rhythm, nobody would bat an eye. By most accounts, playing QB is a more complicated position than playing RB. Why wouldn't rhythm and the repetition also be helpful for a QB?

There is no denying that rhythm is important for a QB. Ok, we passed it 29 times, we ran it 43 times. However, we also ran every down on our last series to run out the clock, so before that last series, we had a pretty even run/pass ratio. It seems like a disparity because we actually RAN the ball. I guess Romo needs to pass on almost every down to get into a rhythm? Garrett's comments just comes across as a very sorry excuse for Romo not being the same Romo we are accustomed to seeing. I am not buying it.

Last edited:

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score

He threw the ball 29 times, so it wasn't like he never threw a pass. I really wish they would run more play action bootlegs like they did early in the game. That helps get the QB in a rhythm by throwing short, low risk completions.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is no denying that rhythm is important for a QB. Ok, we passed it 29 times, we ran it 43 times. However, we also ran every down on our last series to run out the clock, so before that last series, we had a pretty even run/pass ratio. It seems like a disparity because we actually RAN the ball. I guess Romo needs to pass on almost every down to get into a rhythm? Garrett's comments just comes across as a very sorry excuse for Romo not being the same Romo we are accustomed to seeing. I am not buying it.

Well, I'm not necessarily buying it, either. Romo's not himself, and Garrett's covering for him a bit. Big deal, though.

It is the case that Tony played better as the game wore on, which lends some credence to the idea that he eventually warmed up. Honestly, I don't care all that much, either way. I just know that there's an intentional misinterpretation of anything an unpopular coach or owner says until a team is enough above .500 to be inoculated from the emotional backlash. For my part, I'd rather have the reactions be based on reason and not emotions. And there's no reason for anybody to get worked up about a coach saying a QB sometimes needs to find a rhythm.