Twitter: Gary Myers: Nobody would pay Dak $30M on the open market

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
So the Rams paid Goff, the Eagles paid Wentz and the premise is no one would pay Dak? Nonsense. Someone would pay Dak. There is always someone willing to pay and upset the league salary structure.

That doesn't mean I would pay Dak $35 million a year but let's not fool ourselves into claiming there are no owners dumb enough to overpay certain players. And by the way, the Cowboys haven't paid him yet.

I think the premise is more like, The Eagles and the Rams were stupid enough to pay out bad contracts to their QBs, the Cowboys are not going to follow suit.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Commanders will have a QB issue , Haskins has big bust potential . If they had cap space they probably woudl have made a move for QB.

Rivera likes Haskins and has shown no indications that he doesn't. He's working with a first round talent QB.

Zordon

Reaction score
it's funny. He names inferior QB that got that kind of money and concludes no one else would pay that type of money.
I'd take those three QBs over Dak.

Dak lost leverage with that
Lets see Gary, Miami, San Diego, Washington, and Chicago at least and then after the 2020 season probably Carolina, NY Jets, LA Rams, SF 49ers, Detroit, Denver, and heck maybe NY Giants, Philly, and Pittsburgh possibly the same 4 first mentioned. Gee, who did I forget.
:laugh: delusional.

Only one who would probably do it are the Skins. But that's only bc they're our sons.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I'd take those three QBs over Dak.

Dak lost leverage with that

:laugh: delusional.

Only one who would probably do it are the Skins. But that's only bc they're our sons.

Of course you would. I'm similarly sure that you have your biased stats and cherry picked win loss records to justify it. Your position fades under comprehensive analysis.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
30M is because of the market, not the QB but it is what it is. Is Wilson worth 35M, I mean really worth that? Rodgers worth 33M?

Myers is speaking of 30M in relative terms and nothing resembling value.

It's nothing against Prescott, he's just the guy at the right time. Better than average players are going to make ridiculous money as long as the cap keeps climbing. But those that think there isn't a ceiling are wrong. Then they can debate which positions should start coming back down. That should be fun.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
And if Dak appeared in a Super Bowl he would have had his contract by now. Instead, a supposed ELITE QB is arguing over length. The two dopes in the front office must not be as sold on Dak as they pretend to be.

For sure not elite but he's a top 12 qb.

There's a holdup for sure.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
Bottom line:

I think we all like Dak, but letting a QB who is probably the 10th best QB in the league bully the team to be THE top paid QB over Wilson, Big Ben, and Rodgers who have all won Super Bowls when Dak has won 1 playoff game and failed to make the playoffs last year is silly. And he’s ultimately just hurting the team by giving the team less money to give other players to try to win a ring.

I want Dak to stay here. But I want him to stop trying to pretend like he’s being screwed by being offered more money than Carson Wentz and the same as Russell Wilson.

The Cowboys usually cave. They really shouldn’t this time.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I think going into the offseason Dak would have been the #1 free agent qb and gotten $30 million or more. He wouldn't get it right this moment because everyone has made their moves at qb. But assuming Dak plays at a similar level or better he will be able to get those offers next year. The Cowboys resinding the tag would basically be cutting off this nose to spite their face because Dak wouldn't be able to pick up a big contract meaning they might not even get a comp pick for a top 10 qb.

Jeffkills

Reaction score
New England, Carolina, Washington, New York Giants......

You dont think Daniel Snyder would sign Dak for 30? You dont think he understands what that would do for Commander fans and season tickets, what that would do to the Cowboys and for the rivalry?

This guy is tragically mistaken.
Dude, what are you smoking?

None of those teams would pay him 30. The Pats? Not a chance in hell.. They didn’t even want to outbid us for Dalton. Washington and NY just drafted QBs, so I see no basis there. Carolina, maybe, but they won’t deal w Scam Newton, so I don’t see it happening.

Dak is being too greedy, plain and simple... If he performs at an elite level and wins as a Cowboy, he’ll always have handsome financial income predicated on his celebrity and association with the Dallas Cowboys for perpetuity.

if somebody had to bend backwards over 3 or 4 million, it should be Dak... He’s lucky as hell to even be the Dallas Cowboy’ starting QB...

To me, without the real inside info, Dak comes off as a me-frst, overly-greedy, outsider... He needs to put in his dues now. Just accept one of the the various handsome deals he’s been offered, then go out and handle your business.

The reason I really resent Dak regarding the money is because he’s the team leader... He isn’t acting like a team player at all, and it’s not hard to see...

basel90

Reaction score
Rivera likes Haskins and has shown no indications that he doesn't. He's working with a first round talent QB.
yes but haskins will struggle. very inaccurate and has a negative attitude. haskins will not get it done for them .

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Too bad Gary Myers is too busy being a sportswriter when he could be a successful NFL general manager. Does he know anything about football?

Without reading all 15 pages of posts, here's my take: Every QB in the NFL is overpaid. Superstars, game managers, and scrubs alike.

The market will determine what Prescott will get; just like every passer before him and after him. That's just the way it is. If the Cowboys don't do it, they can let some other team do it instead. And they would.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
We will never know... but I think Bill belicheck might.. if he had the chance

I think any team in need of a franchise QB would consider Dak at 30mil. IN the offseason of 2019, no. But Dak got significantly better last year. He's a legitimate top ten franchise QB. They cost money.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I don’t think anyone could have won with Garrett. Now with MM? Whole different story you ask me.

Garrett was the cloud hanging over me for years. Hard to get excited about the Cowboys while expecting Garrett to *inevitably* prevent us from making a playoff run.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I'm on the outskirts going towards Silicon Valley. I don't really go into the actual SF city limits. The uber drivers tell me the homeless situation is really bad.

One story I've heard is that at some point in the past there was an organization that promoted support for the homeless if they came there which prompted some other cities/states to give homeless people a 1-way ticket to SF.

That was true until the CA attorney general got a fed restraining order stopping any municipality or state from paying the transportation costs of any homeless person to CA. When I went in 2018 I was there for a relatives wedding and like I said every where I went I had druggies or homeless people begging for money. There were times when they would follow me for a couple of blocks continuing to beg and there would be a cop stopped at a stoplight and they wouldn't do a thing about it. People that lived there told us that if we hit them to get them from following us and begging that they will get a cop for that and we would get charged with battery. The cops would arrest us for that but wouldn't do a thing about them constantly begging.

blueblood70

Reaction score
We will never know... but I think Bill belicheck might.. if he had the chance
no fn way he held brady way below market and hasn't even thought about a qb like cam or Winston yet he will get his cheaper and make the team and scheme around them better..facts