Gene Steratore

Joe_Fan

Continuity Is Overrated
Reaction score
Just stop.

They blew the end of the first half, with no referee involvement.

They had 4:06, two timeouts and the 2 minute warning stoppage. Plenty of time to get a stop, force a punt and win. They did none of it.

With the way the defense played in the second half, even if the call was upheld, and they scored a touchdown, do you have any faith that the defense would have stopped Rodgers to not allow them to win the game with a FG, tie the game with a FG (if the Cowboys converted a two point conversion up 27-26) or score a TD?

The danger with pinning stuff on one call is the fallacy of the predetermined outcome. From the point of that call further, there is no definite outcome.

Except what we saw play out. Which was the Cowboys losing the game on their own merits.

No ref involvement? You mean outside of using the timeout to overturn a ruling of a 1st down that was later turned back to a 3rd and 1?

Granted it was a generous spot and the fact that we called a timeout was dumb enough in its own right but they had plenty of involvement throughout the game whether directly such as the overturned call or indirectly by refusing to call roughing the passer or personal fouls for all the low blows and late hits on Romo.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
No ref involvement? You mean outside of using the timeout to overturn a ruling of a 1st down that was later turned back to a 3rd and 1?

Granted it was a generous spot and the fact that we called a timeout was dumb enough in its own right but they had plenty of involvement throughout the game whether directly such as the overturned call or indirectly by refusing to call roughing the passer or personal fouls for all the low blows and late hits on Romo.

The refs it seems they were going to be obviously be biased against the Cowboys. I don't think they cared one bit. It seems that all they wanted to do was make sure that the Cowboys were not advancing.

Szczepanik

Reaction score
I wouldn't be quite so sure about Gene wanting it to be an incomplete pass regardless.

He was in the headlines all of last week and in the media for his decision in the DET game. Now he goes under the hood again, for another crucial call. Do you think he felt the pressure to make the call? If he felt he was going to give a crucial call to Dez he would be in the headlines for another week, for another Cowboys HUGE call. That may have weighed on his shoulders a little bit ya think? He would look worse than Christie.

There was no conclusive evidence to overturn it, but I am sure since it was close in his mind, he went with the call that would seemingly not put him where he was last week.

Who knows. He should not have been under that hood regardless.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
It's simply really. We have to make sure we are never in the position to let a ref dictate the outcome of a game like that again.

Sure. But we played a darn good team on the road. You can't expect them to just dominate.

Man. What a missed call.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
I wouldn't be quite so sure about Gene wanting it to be an incomplete pass regardless.

He was in the headlines all of last week and in the media for his decision in the DET game. Now he goes under the hood again, for another crucial call. Do you think he felt the pressure to make the call? If he felt he was going to give a crucial call to Dez he would be in the headlines for another week, for another Cowboys HUGE call. That may have weighed on his shoulders a little bit ya think? He would look worse than Christie.

There was no conclusive evidence to overturn it, but I am sure since it was close in his mind, he went with the call that would seemingly not put him where he was last week.

Pete Morelli was the ref last week.

fifaguy

Reaction score
This guy better never step foot in the city of Dallas again. His decision destroyed the sprit of millions of Cowboys fans. I am totally depressed. Jason Witten was "volcanic" in the locker room after the game. How could someone be so cold hearted? Screw Dez..fine..but what about Jason Witten and Tony Romo you imbecile! They've spent a decade suffering so many downs....how do you have the nerve to make that call in front of them after everything they've been thru? Where the hell did all this anti-Cowboys sentiment come from? Skip Bayless was right, that decision was "criminal". 25 years old....this man ruined the happiest season of my lifetime. Sorry I had to rant for a second, I'm just totally stunned about what happened today.

The air began to leak out of the balloon starting with the botched final possession of the 1st half. The 2nd half turned into a showcase for the gimpy Rodgers while the Cowboys' offense sputtered. The team fought hard to the finish, but didn't get it done.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
The air began to leak out of the balloon starting with the botched final possession of the 1st half. The 2nd half turned into a showcase for the gimpy Rodgers while the Cowboys' offense sputtered. The team fought hard to the finish, but didn't get it done.

Even with that botched possession at the half, we trotted out the most accurate kicker in NFL history and he misses one and then gets another shot at it and that one is blocked. A TD would be nice, but just the 3 points would have been huge.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The decision to overturn the call on the field came from the head office in NY on conference call during the review as a result of a challenge by GB. It wasn't the refs on the field that made that call so cut them some slack. Dallas was robbed but Gene Steratore didn't do it.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Go to 4:04 of this video and watch until 5:00 (longer if you like):

reminds me of when Miami lost to Notre Dame on a controversial call and Jimmy told the team you can't leave the outcome in the hands of the refs and I think they won the national championship the next season

If I can salvage anything from todays loss, it would be the hope they can keep enough of this team together that felt the sting of todays loss and regroup next year and take out their rage on the NFL the entire year never letting up no matter how far ahead they are and if people complain, just cite the Green Bay game as to why they never let off the gas
I want this too. I just wish that we get some nasty defenders in here who rips heads off, and drinks mud water for breakfast. I just want to dominate every team, if we're up by 48, keep going. I know this won't happen, but I'm just upset that we lost.

This should send a message to all of our players and coaches. We play to win, and we don't give a flip about being polite to any teams out there, any opposing fans, we need to establish that the Cowboys are back, and we're hear to tick everyone in the league off, but dominating. Every player should be hungry after tonight. Let that loss soak in, and in the words of the coach from "Remember the Titans" "leave no doubt".

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
I want this too. I just wish that we get some nasty defenders in here who rips heads off, and drinks mud water for breakfast. I just want to dominate every team, if we're up by 48, keep going. I know this won't happen, but I'm just upset that we lost.

This should send a message to all of our players and coaches. We play to win, and we don't give a flip about being polite to any teams out there, any opposing fans, we need to establish that the Cowboys are back, and we're hear to tick everyone in the league off, but dominating. Every player should be hungry after tonight. Let that loss soak in, and in the words of the coach from "Remember the Titans" "leave no doubt".

This is why I'm on the Suh train right now. I want mean and nasty.

DallasBlues

Reaction score
When a catch is made by a receiver who comes down with both feet on the ground, the "football move" would be" stretching for a first down, diving out-of-bounds or running with the ball. if the "football move" is accomplished, and the receiver is then hit and the ball comes it, it is ruled a catch and fumble, instead of an incomplete forward pass.

fifaguy

Reaction score
Even with that botched possession at the half, we trotted out the most accurate kicker in NFL history and he misses one and then gets another shot at it and that one is blocked. A TD would be nice, but just the 3 points would have been huge.

That was part of the 'botch' in my estimation. As for Dez's catch; I think the refs blew it, but they also blew the big one last week in the Detroit game. That's the way it goes. If the Cowboys had kept a firm rein on the game yesterday, they would have won.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
This is why I'm on the Suh train right now. I want mean and nasty.

And I'm actually with you there. I'm not a huge believer in over spending in FA, unless the guy is a freak of nature, which SUH is. He's never had off the field issues or coaching issues if I recall, he just does silly stuff on the field. Either way, he, and one more pass rusher would turn this defense into a TERROR. AS someone else mentioned though, I'd like to consider going more man on man coverage, and drafting 3rd round plus to tighten up the free safety/ corner role. We need some studs in the secondary, at least 1 super stud.

Not sure what's going to happen with the Marinelli, but OMG, we need to keep this guy. I just liked the way he got everything out of this defense. From the naked eye, this defense was simply dominant at times, and not so much other times when teams figured out our weaknesses. My dream is to have a defensive line that dominates with 4 man rushes.

FloridaRob

Reaction score

So ref involvement is ok as long as it benefits the Cowboys. Got it!

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
There is a huge difference. In the Lions game the mistake was just a procedural error. The referee announced the penalty to the crowd before they had their routine discussion regarding all of the different vantage points. After the discussion he had to announce a correction. Our play was called a catch on the field and reversed by the booth after a challenge.

And yet, the bellyaching is exactly the same.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Sucks the call went against us, it was definitely questionable.

But we also couldn't stop them with 4 mins and 2 time outs left.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score

I think that might have swayed such bad decision. But as a ref you have to be able to take the heat or leave the kitchen. These guys get paid a pretty penny to do part time work and we expect better results. The Detroit call was the right call. He has every right to defend himself.

The Cowboys game was the wrong call all the way. That was a catch no matter how you slice it. If he can't make the right call then he should go a flip burgers at Jack in and Box.