Getcha Popcorn Ready

Swagger

Reaction score
If they're that great, pretty good bet they'll all be gone before the 10th pick.

But just because they might be 5 taken in the top 10 doesn't mean they're all worth it, in fact historically that's the case...
The QBs that are picked a bit later in the first round have been decent lately.
Herbert, Allen, Mahomes, Jackson and even going back to Rodgers.

Of course who knows how they will turn out from this draft but I think we could have drafted a QB at #10 who would have performed to a decent level in our offense given the resources pumped into it.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The QBs that are picked a bit later in the first round have been decent lately.
Herbert, Allen, Mahomes, Jackson and even going back to Rodgers.

Of course who knows how they will turn out from this draft but I think we could have drafted a QB at #10 who would have performed to a decent level in our offense given the resources pumped into it.

So it's the bird in the hand scenario, considering things like T. Smith's age, upcoming free agents, etc. I'd have to go with the bird we have. And is performing at a "decent" level getting you a SB win? Dak played at an excellent level in 2016 and we didn't get there. Now if you're talking future quarterbacks, I see but who knows who'll be available next year, or what draft spot Dallas will have. Just too many uncertainties - risking a bust, missing out on a first round defensive pick, etc.

I can see the reasoning for taking a quarterback at 10, just wouldn't do it myself...

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
That's pretty much it re the cap hit...

Year 1: good
Year 2: not good/bad
Years 3 and 4: potentially horrific/cap hell
Your year 3 is glass half full outlook. Not only will the cap be much much higher but they can also negotiate an extension with Dak at that point.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
We will be lucky to make the playoffs.

If the defense is still trash, I agree. All this talk about the offense while the defense made history in several ways last season, none of which were good.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s 1 year cap friendly on a multi year deal....

that’s not a cap friendly deal in my opinion, it’s a multi year deal with the first having a cap friendly number and the subsequent years escalating to a point above 50 mil

again I’m happy we signed dak but al I’m saying is we should be cautious making a claim this is a cap friendly deal without considering the implications in year 2 and beyond which are not cap friendly

Cap friendly for 1 year, possibly 2, then the new TV deal sets in, and the cap jumps. So those last 2 years will seem better. However, I believe this contract is redone after 2 or 3 years anyway.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Not great? This is the best crop of QBs in a generation. Their will probably be 5 QBs taken in the top 10 which would be a record. Next years crop sucks but not this one.
Not sold on them Mac Jones could actually end up being the best in this draft. Lawrence looks solid...but will his game translate to the NFL?He's a running QB and long strider...not muscled up. He's a bit skinny. Wilson could shine but he could also be Ty Detmer.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they're that great, pretty good bet they'll all be gone before the 10th pick.

But just because they might be 5 taken in the top 10 doesn't mean they're all worth it, in fact historically that's the case...

The was a lot of speculation prior to the Dak signing that we would have had to swap with Denver at #9 to have a shot at one of the top 5 Qbs.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not sold on them Mac Jones could actually end up being the best in this draft. Lawrence looks solid...but will his game translate to the NFL?He's a running QB and long strider...not muscled up. He's a bit skinny. Wilson could shine but he could also be Ty Detmer.

Lawrence is not a running QB, but he can run. He's about as sure a thing as has come along since Peyton Manning. He's basically a more athletic version of manning. Kiper has him rated as the 4th best Qb he's ever evaluated in 40 years of grading players. So, I don't know what your watching. He had a tough time last season with covid and Clemson literally had nothing at WR or TE last year.

In any case, the draft is loaded with Qbs. I think Kyle Trask is better than Wilson and nobody is even talking about him in the top ten.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Not sure watching the Jones’ pass on every FA with a heartbeat requires popcorn

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
  • A very cap friendly deal...
  • Still loads better than Wince...
  • Leaves us room to sign one maybe 2 impact FAs this year..
Man oh man. Is your popcorn ready yet?

I told you Dak was better than Wince. I also told you Dak was our future.

giphy.gif

But this isn't about I told you so's...

This is about popcorn! That hot buttery golden salty treat that just leave you feeling oh so satisfied... Kinda the way I feel when Dak is in the driver's seat.

Get ready for the Dallas Cowboys to bring a championship to town within the next four years. It's happening folks. Brace yourselves for one incredible ride!

giphy.gif
Love your optimism.
Hope we can load up on some good deal free agents!

Jipper

Reaction score
Cap friendly for 1 year, possibly 2, then the new TV deal sets in, and the cap jumps. So those last 2 years will seem better. However, I believe this contract is redone after 2 or 3 years anyway.

yeah buddy i saw that too, its interesting to say the least. I guess if Dak plays to a top 3 type of qb and we can repurpose the dollars this year and next for defense then we should have a lot of optimism right?