Gholson: Shipley could shine for Cowboys

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
By Nick Gholson
Posted January 31, 2010 at 12:48 a.m.

Jerry Jones might not want to take another gamble on a Texas wide receiver.

After all, the owner of the Dallas Cowboys has been burnt twice by burnt orange guys.

The team spent a fourth-round draft pick on Wayne McGarity in 1999. He played three forgetful seasons in Dallas and caught one touchdown pass.

And then of course, there is the current Roy Williams mess.

We all know that story.

The Cowboys gave the Lions a first-round draft pick and more for the former Longhorn star.

That pick could have been Percy Harvin — whom the Vikings drafted two spots later.

While Roy Williams was disappointing everyone in Dallas, Harvin had 2,081 all-purpose yards in his rookie season in Minnesota. He caught 60 passes for 790 yards and eight touchdowns.

We all know that the NFL Draft is a crap shoot.

Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell go in the first round. Joe Montana and Tom Brady aren’t picked until the third and sixth, respectively.

But every once in awhile, a guy shows up that you just really want on your roster. I think Jordan Shipley is one of those guys.

His size — 6-foot, 190 — will scare off most first-round shoppers.

The draft experts don’t consider him to be any team’s No. 1 receiver.

Right now they have Shipley pegged as a slot receiver worthy of teams inneed to be looking at in the third and fourth rounds.

One draft scouting service has him ranked No. 6 among the 354 wide receivers evaluated.

Most, however, have him 10 or lower.

Those same draft experts didn’t even have Wes Welker on their boards back in 2004.

Welker was considered too small (5-9, 185) and too slow (4.6) to play in the NFL.

He proved everybody wrong.

Shipley is often compared to Welker, but mainly I think because they are both white wide receivers, a rarity in pro football today.

Their main similarity is not skin pigmentation.

It’s heart and smarts.

They are guys we simply call “football players.”

They play hard every play every day. And they are students of the game, always striving to get better.

The biggest difference between Shipley and Welker is Shipley is bigger and faster.

He runs a 4.4 and has the speed to go deep. He also has the toughness to go over the middle.

He has extra value as a kick returner.

Most people think the Cowboys will focus on getting a big, strong offensive left tackle to replace Flozell Adams with their first pick.

Their second biggest need, however, is to give Tony Romo another good target to go with No. 1 wide receiver Miles Austin and tight end Jason Witten.

They need to improve on Roy Williams and Patrick Crayton.

I would love to see Jordan Shipley wearing the star.

Who knows? Maybe having another Texas wide receiver as a teammate will light a fire under Roy Williams.

Now try selling that to Jerry Jones.

thssanders

Reaction score
I would take either him or mccluster from ole miss. He can line up in the slot as well, and he can return kicks too. I know he is a running back, but he can line up and play receiver too, with great hands.

I would be happy with him or shipley to go in the slot. They both will fill two spots, slot receiver and returnman.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Gryphon;3261764 said:
His size — 6-foot, 190 — will scare off most first-round shoppers.

What will scare teams is that he is not actually 6'-0" tall.

I like Shipley, but there is no reason to reach for this guy. He will be around in the 3rd or 4th round. He is better than McGarity. That is obvious. Jones could have picked up McGarity much later in the draft that year. He really reached for a guy no other teams were interested in. Forget about the Texas connection and focus on guys that can help the team. Roy is not going to meet the unrealistic expectations of trading a 1st and 3rd, but he still helps the Cowboys. Shipley can help Dallas out of the slot, but he isn't going to be able to match what Williams does on the outside.

Let's see how Percy Harvin develops during his career. He is getting by solely on physical talent right now. He is such a great athlete, but will he become a good receiver. He still has to develop the technical aspects of the position. I like his chances, but there have been plenty of wide receivers that flashed some brilliance early only to disappear because their games did not grow.

HoosierCowboy

Put Pearson in the HOF
Reaction score
thssanders;3261767 said:
I would take either him or mccluster from ole miss. He can line up in the slot as well, and he can return kicks too. I know he is a running back, but he can line up and play receiver too, with great hands.

I would be happy with him or shipley to go in the slot. They both will fill two spots, slot receiver and returnman.

while McC can catch, he is not a WR--lots of running backs can't make the transition--I
d take Shipley in the 3rd

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Don't know about Shipley as much as I know this offense needs another WR esp at the #2. The argument against a WR is always they don't normally come in and contribute. Well no one does on a SB contender for the most part. You have to draft well with an eye on what's needed short and long term.

I won't be surprised one way or the other concerning a WR but I'd be looking at S, WR, and OL first then ILB as far as need is concerned.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
Shipley is more comparable with Anthony Gonzales, I would think.

But, Shipley's stock will rise by the fact that he is mentioned with Welker and a lot of teams are looking to have them a Wes Welker, especially Denver and KC.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Gryphon;3261764 said:
That pick could have been Percy Harvin — whom the Vikings drafted two spots later.

My *** is still parched by this. :cry2:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He fits a lot of needs for us.

Returns punts and kicks and is also a holder on field goals.

He has blazing speed as well and is dangerous in the slot. Great hands.

I don't like him as much when he is lined up out wide as an X or Z but in the slot he can be a QB's best friend.

I think Shipley would give us another spark and defenses would forget about him because of all the other weapons we have.

Its a perfect fit.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I'm intrigued by having McCluster play the slot and return punts. But I wouldn't push the issue. I'd take him at the bottom of the 2nd. I don't know Shipley that well though.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
CATCH17;3261783 said:
He fits a lot of needs for us.

Returns punts and kicks and is also a holder on field goals.

He has blazing speed as well and is dangerous in the slot. Great hands.

I don't like him as much when he is lined up out wide as an X or Z but in the slot he can be a QB's best friend.

I think Shipley would give us another spark and defenses would forget about him because of all the other weapons we have.

Its a perfect fit.

I'm still confused as to where he would play on our offense. Crayton isn't going anywhere and he plays in the slot in multiple WR formations. Where would Shipley play then?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
TheSport78;3261790 said:
I'm still confused as to where he would play on our offense. Crayton isn't going anywhere and he plays in the slot in multiple WR formations. Where would Shipley play then?

We'll worry about that down the road. We've been fortunate not to have injuries but it is always a possibility.

But he gives us more speed out of the slot and if you have a 3 receiver set of Austin, Ogletree, and Shipley than you are putting a lot of pressure on defenses with your speed.

But the reason to draft him now is for all of his special teams abilities and at some point he would surpass Crayton as the 3rd receiver.

But, like Crayton, I dont like him lined up out wide. He may develop into someone who could be better at it but the closer he is to your QB the better the player he is.

Another thing is when discussing offensive skill players we shouldn't think "well so and so is the #1, 2, or 3" but think of it more as someone who you can plug in the game and they can come in and make a play for you because starter wise we are set.

To me its Miles Austin then WR by committee.

Eskimo

Reaction score
joseephuss;3261769 said:
I
Let's see how Percy Harvin develops during his career. He is getting by solely on physical talent right now. He is such a great athlete, but will he become a good receiver. He still has to develop the technical aspects of the position. I like his chances, but there have been plenty of wide receivers that flashed some brilliance early only to disappear because their games did not grow.

Textbook example: Roy Williams

The league studied him after his big year and realized he could only do a couple of things well. They also learned that he doesn't have deep speed to threaten anyone and that he can be intimidated over the middle with alligator arms. All they have to do is sit on the slant and the skinny post and you have shut this guy down completely.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Eskimo;3261797 said:
Textbook example: Roy Williams

The league studied him after his big year and realized he could only do a couple of things well. They also learned that he doesn't have deep speed to threaten anyone and that he can be intimidated over the middle with alligator arms. All they have to do is sit on the slant and the skinny post and you have shut this guy down completely.

I'm not as down on RW as you are but I'm definitely concerned enough to want to draft a WR this year. I don't think we should worry about where he may play either. Just get the best WR available.

Reaction score
if you want another harvin then Tates your guy. He could play the slot the 1st year then have him replace williams out wide. Could use him exactly like Min used Harvin, plus he can return punts and kicks fairly well. Would be much more effective in the slot then both crayton and shipley.

Eskimo

Reaction score
jobberone;3261802 said:
I'm not as down on RW as you are but I'm definitely concerned enough to want to draft a WR this year. I don't think we should worry about where he may play either. Just get the best WR available.

I would not mind another WR as I think it is time for Hurd to go as he looks like he will never be competent WR. He got to be #3 for a whole year in 2007 and did nothing, nothing again in 2008 and nothing in 2009 when given a chance - key drops and inabillity to make plays.

I would like to get a guy who is a WR but also a guy who can return kickoffs and punts.

How high a pick we spend, if any, depends a lot on what the team thinks of Ogletree. If they think he is the #2 before the season is out and a future 1000 yard 16ypc guy with deep speed and then I would spend a late pick on a guy who is a developmental guy or go aggressively after UDFAs that we like. If the team views him more as a future #3 slot guy after Crayton steps down then we should consider 2nd or 3rd round where there is often value for #2 type WRs.

Eskimo

Reaction score
jobberone;3261802 said:

Isn't this guy a 1st rounder right now?

I would honestly prefer to use it on a good OT prospect if one is available. I would settle for a G/C but I'd prefer a RT candidate.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I just don't see it in Shipley. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just think he's too average physically.

Maybe he's a lot faster than I think... This is a time where the combine 40 time is actually useful.