Giants are looking to over pay Manning?

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
The Giants are looking to extend Eli Manning's contract through the 2009 season.

Manning has a $5-million clause that needs to be picked up by next season or he'll become a free agent after 2007. The Giants are prepared to pay it now. He'll make $8.5 million in 2008 and $9 million in 2009 in the deal.

Jan. 12 - 12:19 pm et
Source: Newsday

Michael88Irvin

Reaction score
Gryphon said:
The Giants are looking to extend Eli Manning's contract through the 2009 season.
Manning has a $5-million clause that needs to be picked up by next season or he'll become a free agent after 2007. The Giants are prepared to pay it now. He'll make $8.5 million in 2008 and $9 million in 2009 in the deal.
Jan. 12 - 12:19 pm et
Source: Newsday

LOL - that's gotta sting writing that check after his latest performance.

superpunk

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to many more seasons of locking onto primary recievers, and ridiculous overthrows, hopefully leading to Plax and Shockey throwing more tantrums on the sideline. Nice job NY. Keep dishing out money for the 23rd rated passer ni the league. He was only beat out by guys like; Trent Dilfer, David Carr, Kerry Collins (who did he play for before the Raiders?), Kurt Warner and Kelly Holcombe. Hell, his rating was only slightly better than Brooks Bollinger and Joey Harrington. They better pray that Tiki stays around for a long time, and continues to have UNBELIEVABLE seasons....

Doomsday101

Reaction score
When talking about locking up your franchise QB you do what you have to do. I think Eli will only get better and did a pretty good job this year given his inexperiance.

superpunk

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
When talking about locking up your franchise QB you do what you have to do. I think Eli will only get better and did a pretty good job this year given his inexperiance.

It's not like they didn't have a little time to think this over. He could possibly only get worse. The Giants have all the offensive talent in the world, yet it's been shown that, if you can control Tiki, Eli can't perform.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
superpunk said:
It's not like they didn't have a little time to think this over. He could possibly only get worse. The Giants have all the offensive talent in the world, yet it's been shown that, if you can control Tiki, Eli can't perform.

And we are talking a guy who has played just 23 games and helped get his team to the playoffs, he has accomplished a lot more than many QB's in that short time frame. I think Eli is the real deal and I think the Giants feel the same way. I agree Tiki was the key for the Giants this year but again we are talking a very young QB who is going to get better. I say this with no extream love of Manning or bias aginst Manning. Can you say the same?

superpunk

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
Eli sucks.

Are you trying to tell me that you didn't buy into the hype machine about Eli early on? Manning vs. Manning super bowl? Come on, it was ALL the rage. LOL. I love how analysts and Giants fans assume Eli can only get better. You know what happens when you assume things. I bet Joey Harrington and Tim Couch could have put up similar numbers with THAT offensive talent. Shockey, as much as I hate him, is arguably the best TE in the league, or right behind Gates. Plax has enormous talent, even if he does half-*** it alot. And Tiki is ridiculous. And yet Eli was the 23rd ranked passer in the league.

Yeah, he can only get better.:rolleyes:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
superpunk said:
Are you trying to tell me that you didn't buy into the hype machine about Eli early on? Manning vs. Manning super bowl? Come on, it was ALL the rage. LOL. I love how analysts and Giants fans assume Eli can only get better. You know what happens when you assume things. I bet Joey Harrington and Tim Couch could have put up similar numbers with THAT offensive talent. Shockey, as much as I hate him, is arguably the best TE in the league, or right behind Gates. Plax has enormous talent, even if he does half-*** it alot. And Tiki is ridiculous. And yet Eli was the 23rd ranked passer in the league.

Yeah, he can only get better.:rolleyes:

No I did not get into the hype of Manning vs Manning what so ever. I have watched Eli as a college QB and I have seen him in the pros and I think he is going to be a good QB. He is young QB in a good system and I think he will get better. I have no loyalty to Manning or the Giants but besides being a Cowboy fan I'm also a fan of the NFL and look at players not from the stand point of being a Cowboy fan and how that may effect us I watch them play the game and in my view I think Manning is going to be a very good QB.

superpunk

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
And we are talking a guy who has played just 23 games and helped get his team to the playoffs, he has accomplished a lot more than many QB's in that short time frame. I think Eli is the real deal and I think the Giants feel the same way. I agree Tiki was the key for the Giants this year but again we are talking a very young QB who is going to get better. I say this with no extream love of Manning or bias aginst Manning. Can you say the same?

Why do you think he is the real deal?

Has he shown any real talent for reading defenses?

Has he shown decent accuracy?

There are alot of QBs who would give their left nut to play with the offensive talent Eli has, yet after the Giants bye, he was one of the worst QBs in the league. (After the Giants bye, also known as the period of the schedule without teams like Arizona, STL, San Diego, and New Orleans.) His only real decent games this year came against SD, STL, SF, PHI, and OAK. Do you know what the passing defense rankings of those teams are? 28, 23, 32, 21, and 18, respectively. People can assume that he can only get better, but I'll look at his body of work, and his play on the field. He has shown no ability to make progressive reads, he has horrible accuracy (which IMO, is going to be terribly difficult to fix) and he is easily fooled.

Can he improve those things? Sure. Some of them just come with experience. But, take away Tiki, and I wonder if the "bust" label wouldn't already be thrown around, in reference to Eli.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
superpunk said:
Why do you think he is the real deal?

Has he shown any real talent for reading defenses?

Has he shown decent accuracy?

There are alot of QBs who would give their left nut to play with the offensive talent Eli has, yet after the Giants bye, he was one of the worst QBs in the league. (After the Giants bye, also known as the period of the schedule without teams like Arizona, STL, San Diego, and New Orleans.) His only real decent games this year came against SD, STL, SF, PHI, and OAK. Do you know what the passing defense rankings of those teams are? 28, 23, 32, 21, and 18, respectively. People can assume that he can only get better, but I'll look at his body of work, and his play on the field. He has shown no ability to make progressive reads, he has horrible accuracy (which IMO, is going to be terribly difficult to fix) and he is easily fooled.

Can he improve those things? Sure. Some of them just come with experience. But, take away Tiki, and I wonder if the "bust" label wouldn't already be thrown around, in reference to Eli.

He act as if he is some 6 or 7 year vet he is only played 23 games and has done a good job in those game. It is clear you just don't like the guy for your own personal reason myself I watched him play the games I know he is still a young man and he will learn the NFL game and improve. I guess time will prove one of us right and in my mind I have no doubt that Eli will become a top QB in this league.

superpunk

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
He act as if he is some 6 or 7 year vet he is only played 23 games and has done a good job in those game. It is clear you just don't like the guy for your own personal reason myself I watched him play the games I know he is still a young man and he will learn the NFL game and improve. I guess time will prove one of us right and in my mind I have no doubt that Eli will become a top QB in this league.

So because I judge him based on his play on the field, and actually watching him, I don't like the guy? Aside from the fact that he is a GIant, I have no reason not to like him. And if that was my basis for judging players, how could I give praise to Shockey and Tiki? I personally don't like Shockey, but that doesn't stop me from giving him his due.

The fact is, aside from the stock answer of, "He's got to get better, with experience," noone has any reason to believe that will actually occur. Tim Couch, had to get better. Joey Harrington, had to get better. David Carr, had to get better. None of them had an inkling of the offensive talent that Eli has to work with. Have they gotten better?

I believe you are what you are. Sometimes, that's just the truth. Ben R. and Carson Palmer have played a similar number of games to Eli. They have less offensive talent to work with. And yet they outperform him. Sometimes, you just are what you are.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
superpunk said:
So because I judge him based on his play on the field, and actually watching him, I don't like the guy? Aside from the fact that he is a GIant, I have no reason not to like him. And if that was my basis for judging players, how could I give praise to Shockey and Tiki? I personally don't like Shockey, but that doesn't stop me from giving him his due.

The fact is, aside from the stock answer of, "He's got to get better, with experience," noone has any reason to believe that will actually occur. Tim Couch, had to get better. Joey Harrington, had to get better. David Carr, had to get better. None of them had an inkling of the offensive talent that Eli has to work with. Have they gotten better?

I believe you are what you are. Sometimes, that's just the truth. Ben R. and Carson Palmer have played a similar number of games to Eli. They have less offensive talent to work with. And yet they outperform him. Sometimes, you just are what you are.

I don't agree with you at all and Palmer does have some damn good weapons around him and the same for Roethlisberger. As for Harrington you have got to be kidding he has 3 WR who were all #1 picks and a top RB on his team and he still is about to lose his job. I base my opinion on watching Eli and seeing him progress. As for sometimes you just are what you are well Troy Aikman in the same 23 games he played was not what he ended up being and I just think Eli will be a very good QB for a long time in this league and I base it on watching him without any prejudice of who he is or where he plays.

superpunk

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I don't agree with you at all and Palmer does have some damn good weapons around him and the same for Roethlisberger. As for Harrington you have got to be kidding he has 3 WR who were all #1 picks and a top RB on his team and he still is about to lose his job. I base my opinion on watching Eli and seeing him progress. As for sometimes you just are what you are well Troy Aikman in the same 23 games he played was not what he ended up being and I just think Eli will be a very good QB for a long time in this league and I base it on watching him without any prejudice of who he is or where he plays.

Palmer and Ben do have some good offensive weapons. But neither one has a top flight TE, WR and RB. Those three WRs the Lions drafted couldn't crack the Giants starting lineup, save for Roy Williams. And Kevin Jones has been mediocre, at best. As for Troy, compare the two teams, and not just the player. Troy was getting murdered, all the time. He was on a bad team, with a decent foundation, but the real talent was yet to come, and the whole team needed more experience. Eli is on an established, offensive team, with weapons that, with a good QB, would be almost unstoppable. He is not a good QB, and he hasn't given me much to believe that he will become one, besides making that assumption, based on his draft status, and what he's done against poor opposition.

I get it, you've watched him, you're unbiased, blah, blah, blah. Being unbiased, and being blind to his flaws, though, are two completely different things. What evidence has he shown to make anyone believe he'll get any better? You can say that you BELIEVE he'll get better, and there's a chance you'll be right one day. But from watching him, and truly taking into account what I've seen, I can say that he is a very poor QB, right now. Can he get better? Obviously, yes. But he's not given me, or anyone else, any reason to believe that will happen. Aside from the stock answer of, "Next season, he'll be even better," as if that's some sort of scientific truth, doesn't cutit with me. I thought JJ would be better this year. How'd that work out? Maybe if I had taken time to notice that last year, he beat up on some pretty bad defenses, and mostly on draw plays, I would have had more realistic expectations. The same can be said for Manning.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
superpunk said:
Palmer and Ben do have some good offensive weapons. But neither one has a top flight TE, WR and RB. Those three WRs the Lions drafted couldn't crack the Giants starting lineup, save for Roy Williams. And Kevin Jones has been mediocre, at best. As for Troy, compare the two teams, and not just the player. Troy was getting murdered, all the time. He was on a bad team, with a decent foundation, but the real talent was yet to come, and the whole team needed more experience. Eli is on an established, offensive team, with weapons that, with a good QB, would be almost unstoppable. He is not a good QB, and he hasn't given me much to believe that he will become one, besides making that assumption, based on his draft status, and what he's done against poor opposition.

I get it, you've watched him, you're unbiased, blah, blah, blah. Being unbiased, and being blind to his flaws, though, are two completely different things. What evidence has he shown to make anyone believe he'll get any better? You can say that you BELIEVE he'll get better, and there's a chance you'll be right one day. But from watching him, and truly taking into account what I've seen, I can say that he is a very poor QB, right now. Can he get better? Obviously, yes. But he's not given me, or anyone else, any reason to believe that will happen. Aside from the stock answer of, "Next season, he'll be even better," as if that's some sort of scientific truth, doesn't cutit with me. I thought JJ would be better this year. How'd that work out? Maybe if I had taken time to notice that last year, he beat up on some pretty bad defenses, and mostly on draw plays, I would have had more realistic expectations. The same can be said for Manning.

This is turning into a dog chasing his tale conversation, I get it you don't like him he is no good. I disagree with you plain and simple. You can say he will not get any better than is your choice as for everyone says that BS that is in what your saying most analyst around the league have said other wise. I trust what I see just as you trust what you see and soon we will all know.

superpunk

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
This is turning into a dog chasing his tale conversation, I get it you don't like him he is no good. I disagree with you plain and simple. You can say he will not get any better than is your choice as for everyone says that BS that is in what your saying most analyst around the league have said other wise. I trust what I see just as you trust what you see and soon we will all know.

What do you see that tells you he can only get better? Alot of analysts said that Harrington and the Lions would break out this year. They also picked Arizona to break out. How does that make their opinion any more valid than mine? I've probably seen just as much of Eli as they have, and unless one of us has a crystal ball, neither group can know for sure. I've presented concrete evidence for my belief, you and whoever these analysts are only have the assumption that he'll get better. That's not trusting what you see, that's trusting what you believe will happen, which in this case, doesn't seem to be based on what you see.