Giants making moves. Cowboys waiting

silver

Reaction score
I am not going to trust you. One bad year doesn't mean Williams is now turned to dust. Williams would be a starter Day 1 for us. Clayborn? Not really.

But hey, add pass rushing to the already long list of needs we have for the draft along with TB, DT, CB, S, etc.

Hardy is still out there.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
From 2009-2013 We have drafted 41 players out of the 41 10 are still on the team 2 are FA this year So its possible 8 players out of 41 if Willbur , Claiborne leave So we are getting 1 player for every 7 rounds from 2009 -2013 and their is your lack of depth

Well the 2009 was a abomination. We understand that set us back YEARS in regards to depth. Possibly 2010 as well.

But since 2011 this team has done well drafting in those rounds. Coincidentally this is when Garrett took full control as head coach and our scouting got better. Whether its because of Garrett or not I don't know but this team definitely began to have a certain way of handling these drafts that improved significantly compare to 2009-2010. I see no problem with the success rate in those rounds. You'd like to hit on 1 or 2 of those 5th rounders. AT least a depth guy.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It depends on who you get in FA, and if your getting the right positions that the team needs.
If a team is a bad team signing a few FA isnt going to make them a winner, but if a team is already fairly good,
Then signing the right position FA's can put that team in a position to go all the way.

Both Denver and NE won SB's after signing the right defensive players they needed.
So it does work if done properly and smartly.

A team has to properly identify the positions at which they need a good player first, then get one in FA.
If you dont identify the right positions it wont help enough to make a difference.

It also helps to sign players who are really still good, and that you know how your going to use them, and
they fit what schemes your going to use.
Even then game planning and play calling have a further effect on whether this all works good or not.

Dallas does not place a lot of value on many positions, DT, RB, Safetys, and they think we are good in the other positions,
like CB and LB .
It doesnt look like they will make any big FA moves, and will try to get what they want in the draft.
They did make a weak attempt to get murray back , but failed at that.

Their running game isn't a problem to where you have to overpay for one. Its the one position that you can find in the draft right now and get a immediate impact. If they want to get better at D-Line and the secondary.......the learning curve for those rookies will take a lot longer.

conner01

Reaction score
The Patriots always build from BOTH the draft and by making free agent signings that fill holes in the roster. As do the Broncos.

Unless you're going to hit on all of your draft picks (and the Cowboys rarely, if ever, do), you have to go out and sign players in free agency.

The patriots rarely sign high dollar free agents and have left Brady with few weapons for years

Sydla

Reaction score
Hardy is still out there.

Totally on board if.................... there really isn't any issues with him and the front office/players.

But I have doubts that the Cowboys want him back. Maybe they are just playing poker here............ they really want him back but are banking on no team really wanting him and we can swoop in with an even lower offer than we gave him last year.

conner01

Reaction score
Right, when you are 4-12 you expect your team to try and do anything to get better. Right now, we are acting like a team that is stacked at every position.

Actually we are acting like a team that knows it has several players to sign coming up and know that signing a couple of free agents for record contracts is not the answer
The Broncos were a very good super bowl caliber team before they went and spent
Now they are being gutted

silver

Reaction score
Totally on board if.................... there really isn't any issues with him and the front office/players.

But I have doubts that the Cowboys want him back. Maybe they are just playing poker here............ they really want him back but are banking on no team really wanting him and we can swoop in with an even lower offer than we gave him last year.

You know we love bargains.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Actually we are acting like a team that knows it has several players to sign coming up and know that signing a couple of free agents for record contracts is not the answer
The Broncos were a very good super bowl caliber team before they went and spent
Now they are being gutted

They did win a SB, and that is the whole idea/ point isnt it ?
Any team that wins a SB is going to lose players, and it will be hard to go back again the next year or so.

conner01

Reaction score
They did win a SB, and that is the whole idea/ point isnt it ?
Any team that wins a SB is going to lose players, and it will be hard to go back again the next year or so.

There is a huge difference in a super bowl caliber team adding expensive free agents and a team that's not
Getting over the hump is worth it, blowing up your team to get to the playoffs is not

cowboys2233

Reaction score
So the Giants and Jags win the off-season by spending tubs full of money. They will still suck when the real season get started.
Geez, some of you guys should learn. Signing FA for big money has never guaranteed success. Please look at all the Deadskins
disasters before spouting off.

I know, how many times do we have to go through this before people learn? What is the true success rate on high-priced free agents? I'll bet when the money is factored in, it is absolutely one of the worst returns on your investment you can make. They almost NEVER pan out and wind up saddling the team with a net loss in the long run. How did Suh work out? I saw a team that didn't sniff the playoffs, and heard quite a bit of complaint from said player. Nice. And this was supposed to be a sure-fire free agent - still young and dominant.

davey999

Reaction score
I know, how many times do we have to go through this before people learn? What is the true success rate on high-priced free agents? I'll bet when the money is factored in, it is absolutely one of the worst returns on your investment you can make. They almost NEVER pan out and wind up saddling the team with a net loss in the long run. How did Suh work out? I saw a team that didn't sniff the playoffs, and heard quite a bit of complaint from said player. Nice. And this was supposed to be a sure-fire free agent - still young and dominant.

I did not want them to make a big splash, but I would have targeted Miller. People seem to think we are a good team. We simply aren't. All holes won't be filled through the draft - especially if we have another draft like last year, which right now looks poor.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Brandon Browner was Maxwell before Maxwell I don't know why you guys keep bringing him up.

And I have no problem with the Revis's of the world being signed by us. But I don't see anyone of the caliber of Darrell REvis out there.

And Greg Hardy was not a bargain basement deal. It was low risk but he was getting paid 1 million per game. Essentially EXACTLY what Revis got for his ONE year with the Pats.

What have the Packers done since signing Peppers?

Let me state that for the record I have NO problem with spending. It just depends on what the talent level is. And i'd much rather sign the Adrian Clayborns of the world as opposed to overpaying for let's say a Janoris Jenkins. I think 8 million for Mario Williams is foolish. You guys say he was in a bad system. With his age....I think that's more of what you should expect from him. His best years are behind him.

The projections for Mario Williams was in the neighborhood of from $6 to 8 million. With over a Billion in funds available for free agency, one had to expect a little higher level of bidding to occur....that's just current market demand with the money increase that team's now have to account for in two seasons. A new market effect that is evolving as we watch.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The projections for Mario Williams was in the neighborhood of from $6 to 8 million. With over a Billion in funds available for free agency, one had to expect a little higher level of bidding to occur....that's just current market demand with the money increase that team's now have to account for in two seasons. A new market effect that is evolving as we watch.

Then I wouldn't get in the market then. What happens in the next year or two where let's say that rare case of a superstar becomes available like Suh last year? Or what if miraculously Von Miller is available and you are sitting here with Vernon over here on a quarterback deal?

Sydla

Reaction score
Then I wouldn't get in the market then. What happens in the next year or two where let's say that rare case of a superstar becomes available like Suh last year? Or what if miraculously Von Miller is available and you are sitting here with Vernon over here on a quarterback deal?

Did he mention Vernon?

erod

Reaction score
I've got a gut feeling the Giants will draft Zeke Elliott. Then, we'll have him and Beckham to deal with.