Giants making moves. Cowboys waiting

Aven8

Reaction score
What big time free agents have the Patriots signed? They do exactly what the Cowboys do. Draft and try and find guys who have yet to hit their potential or guys looking for new starts.

Bronco's on the other hand......they had that one year where they went all in on free agency. I wouldn't advise that. They are more of an exception to the rule. Jaguars and Eagirls and Deadskins have great free agencies every year just to fall flat to not even making the playoffs.

Denver went all in when they got trounced in the SB by Seattle. Elway said he wouldn't let that happen again. So he went out and built the best defense in football and fired the HC that just went to the playoffs.

davey999

Reaction score
Denver went all in when they got trounced in the SB by Seattle. Elway said he wouldn't let that happen again. So he went out and built the best defense in football and fired the HC that just went to the playoffs.

And signed Ware, Ward, Talib and Sanders.

I don't want big signings like Vernon just acknowledgement that this team needs a lot of help.

Aven8

Reaction score
And signed Ware, Ward, Talib and Sanders.

I don't want big signings like Vernon just acknowledgement that this team needs a lot of help.

My point is that was a team in the SB. We aren't even close, but to think we can keep building through the draft, yet be in win now mode is ludicrous. Maybe Jerry truly believes Romo plays 4-5 more years?

davey999

Reaction score
My point is that was a team in the SB. We aren't even close, but to think we can keep building through the draft, yet be in win now mode is ludicrous. Maybe Jerry truly believes Romo plays 4-5 more years?

That's a fair point. If that is the case then pick a QB @4 you like and not take chances on guys like Gregory and Hardy.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Jenkins for all that money and he is basically Asante Samuel....a gambler who gives up as much if not more than he makes. And he doesn't tackle. Once teams figured out Samuel he was never close to as effective as he was his first couple of years.

I'd be happy with a few mid range guys that can solidify the defense. I did like McKelvin but there are other guys that are similar to him. Miller is by far my favorite RB but there are a few that I'd consider an upgrade. Colt McCoy was the QB I wanted, but Matt Moore is probably better and cheaper. I liked Travis Benjamin but there could be a few other options out there.

I don't think we are in a position to make 4-5 big moves like some of these other teams have done. We can sacrifice future cap if we need to sign someone that is worth a big splash. I know people are worrying about future deals for guys like Frederick and Martin but outside of them who do we really have in line for a big deal? We will have some big deals coming off the cap too.

We basically need to keep working to improve our drafts. A few key free agents from time to time. It's worked for Green Bay, New England, Carolina, Indy, Seattle and some others.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score

Big Snacks gets big money.

Better them than us. Guy has not been a difference maker over his career but is being paid as one. Deals like this one and Jenkins are ones that will be cuts in a couple years.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Better them than us. Guy has not been a difference maker over his career but is being paid as one. Deals like this one and Jenkins are ones that will be cuts in a couple years.

He is the NFL's top run stuffer, more stops than any other interior DL in the NFL in the last three years. Just depends on how much you value that.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
But but he was considered a second tier player ......

What we have thought were second tier players are actually top tier with teams flush with money. So if the idea a few weeks ago that Dallas could or even wanted to compete for that level of free agent was clearly wrong.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You asked what big time free agents they signed, and I answered you. Not sure why it matters how long the player stayed there for.

The fact is that they have signed players who filled holes in their team and helped them win a Super Bowl.

Not being rude, but your argument doesn't make much sense at all.

I never said I'm supportive of overpaying for any player. You pay a player what he is worth. You can get free agents to sign without overpaying them.

But to play devils advocate-- did we overpay for Deion? Hell yeah. Did the Patriots probably overpay for Revis? Hell yeah.

But the truth of the matter is that as long as that "overpaid" player performs well, and the team succeeds, who really cares?

The Cowboys are not only not overpaying people, they aren't shopping at all. If Romo has a 2-3 year window and we are really as close to a championship and Jerry says we are, you'd think we might be a little more aggressive in this process.

Instead, we settle for Jeff Heath and a bunch of washed-up has beens (or never-will-be's), with Jerry's promise that they are key pieces to the puzzle.

I think the Pats got Revis on a good deal. Like said above though I'm not against signing Revis or Deion Sanders level talents at all. I just don't see them out there.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
:huh:

Not sure the main plan here but we do need to upgrade. Second tier free agents tend to be in their late 20s or 30+. I wouldn't have minded us going after a guy like Jenorius Jenkins but apparently he is signing with the Giants who have now resigned JPP and are getting the huge run stuffer from the Jets. Giants just got a lot better while we might be looking to lock up Nick Hayden on a 1 year deal. If Romo does have 4-5 years left he only has 2-3 good ones and we need to take advantage of them. Now is the time to spend.

I have some beachfront property in Oklahoma you might be interested in.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Hardy was a bargain deal because Dallas waited until he had no suitors. There was no competition for him. Dallas could basically hand him the deal that they wanted to. If there were more suitors or Hardy didn't have that issue hanging over his head there isn't a chance in hell that the Cowboys would have signed him. He woudl have been too pricey for him.

PS - What have the Packers done since signing Peppers? Be better than us, for starters.

You'd rather pay Clayborn $5MM as opposed to paying Williams $8MM? LOL. Williams is one year removed from having double digit sacks. Clayborn has never sniffed double digit sacks. Shoot, Williams, in a down year, still had more sacks than Clayborn last year.

I was saying is rather have one year at 5 than I would 2 years at 16 million. Clayborn is in his 20s. Williams is in his 30s. Neither will be the difference in winning a Super Bowl or not.