Ginn runs in the 4.4s --Updated

JPM

Reaction score
Big Dakota;1453628 said:
Interesting, for what it's worth.

I would be perfectly fine with Nelson. I'm not sold in any way on Watkins(biggest negative on him last year was his coverage ability) and Hamlins biggest knock is his coverage as well. This is a draft where we can truely afford to take the best playmaker, regardless of possition and if Ireland thinks it's a FS so be it.

Its so nice to finally be able to have Dallas draft like that. It's been years.
I'd be happy with Ginn or Nelson at our spot. I have my concerns about Merriweather, but if we traded down and still got him I'd be ok with that.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
junk;1453677 said:
Right. I noticed that Wade used the legendary Marlon McCree as his FS last year......a former 7th round pick who defines "journeyman".

They had a problem the year before as FS so brought McCree in as a FA in 2006 and he was certainly a disappointmen. That's why one of SDs major needs is a FS going into the draft. I'm not particularly saying we need to take a 1st round FS, but in Wade's D and MORE IMPORTANTLY with Roys lack of coverage ability(combined with how Wade has said he's gonna play him) we just have to get good FS play. If Hamlin and Watkins fail, we are in the same boat as we were last year. I'm not opposed to taking a WR, OLman or OLB as well, but i'll never say a possition isn't worth taking in round one, other than K/P.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I have heard that Nelson's trouble is that he cannot get complicated coverages straight; that he is not FOOTBALL smart. That is what seems to be drifting around about him.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
burmafrd;1453712 said:
I have heard that Nelson's trouble is that he cannot get complicated coverages straight; that he is not FOOTBALL smart. That is what seems to be drifting around about him.
I think it was nflnetwork that said that he only had to play centerfield at Florida. That he doesn't have any experience at playing any of the other coverages and most notably no experience covering the slot.(Sounds kind of like Watkins)

Reaction score
btcutter;1453629 said:
Ginn, Nelson or Merriweather (bit concerned about charcter) but all are playmakers. I would love to get one of them at our pick!

Merriweather maybe a better fit for us than Nelson since he plays all 4 positions fairly well at the U and a natural centerfielder.

I wish.....

Tristan

Reaction score
I think it's kinda funny how some people act like Ginn isn't really worth a first round pick. In reality we have no right to even be hoping to get a guy like Ginn at 22, if by some miracle he falls to twenty two then he might be the most talented pick 22 in history.

Tedd Ginn is a top ten talent IMO, he is a Reggie Bush caliber playmaker that doesn't come around but once every five years or so. Theres no doubt in my mind if we should take him at 22, the only doubt I have is him dropping out of the top ten or fifteen.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Tristan;1453824 said:
I think it's kinda funny how some people act like Ginn isn't really worth a first round pick. In reality we have no right to even be hoping to get a guy like Ginn at 22, if by some miracle he falls to twenty two then he might be the most talented pick 22 in history.

Tedd Ginn is a top ten talent IMO, he is a Reggie Bush caliber playmaker that doesn't come around but once every five years or so. Theres no doubt in my mind if we should take him at 22, the only doubt I have is him dropping out of the top ten or fifteen.
I think it's kinda funny how some people act like Ginn is a top ten talent. In reality we better not be even looking at a guy like Ginn at 22, if by some miracle he falls to our third round pick he might be the most talented pick in the third round in history.

Tedd Ginn is a late first day talent IMO, he is a Antwan Randel-El caliber player that comes around but once every round of every draft. Theres no doubt in my mind if we should take him at 22, the only doubt I have is whether we should even taken him with our 2nd round pick.

See how I typed all that and didn't make a single useful argument?

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
mmillman;1453358 said:
Ted Ginn Still Can't Run, Drops in NFL Draft

Posted Mar 12th 2007 9:55AM by Michael David Smith
Filed under: NFL Draft
tedginn.jpg
Ohio State hosted its pro day workout yesterday, but receiver Ted Ginn Jr. didn't run. The injury he suffered in the BCS National Championship Game (which he says is a high ankle sprain), still hasn't healed well enough for him to show off the blazing speed he displayed at Ohio State, and he now seems likely to drop to the bottom of the first round of next month's NFL draft.

Ginn still says he plans to run at an individual workout in April, but at this point there's not much doubt that he's dropped on a lot of draft boards. At one point he was widely perceived as the second receiver in the draft, behind just Calvin Johnson of Georgia Tech, but now I think he's fallen back into the pack with LSU's Dwayne Bowe, Tennessee's Robert Meachem and USC's Dwayne Jarrett and Steve Smith.

I like Ginn and hope he gets well soon, but he might not even be one of the top five receivers in the draft, and that injury might have cost him millions of dollars.

Fire up those flux capacitors.

Iago33

Reaction score
junk;1453677 said:
Right. I noticed that Wade used the legendary Marlon McCree as his FS last year......a former 7th round pick who defines "journeyman".

Don't knock Marlon. He's not the most physically gifted, but he's good enough. However, he is smart, and I think that's at least as important as the physical.

Besides, I taught him when he was in college. Good kid.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Reggie Nelson may not be book smart, but I don't see how anyone could say he's not football smart. The dude's instincts are off the chart. I love LaRon Landry, but Nelson was a better football player on the field and made as many big plays in only half the college games. The reason Landry will be drafted higher is because he's a better looking player in his underwear.

As far as Nelson's speed, I wonder how a slow and lumbering guy blocks seven kicks in college. Also, Nelson played CB when he first arrived to Florida.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Iago33;1453896 said:
Don't knock Marlon. He's not the most physically gifted, but he's good enough. However, he is smart, and I think that's at least as important as the physical.

Besides, I taught him when he was in college. Good kid.

Not a knock on McCree. He is what he is. A 7th round pick who has moved around the league.

I was using it as an example to the poster that claimed FS was going to be the second most important position on the team in Wade's defense. Marlon McCree wasn't the second most important player on SD's defense last year.

It also goes along with my argument that you can find free safeties in other places than round 1 of the draft.

I also think that is why they targeted Hamlin. An intelligent player to QB the secondary.

It also makes me question the supposed interest in Reggie Nelson. The coaching staff basically said they wanted a free safety to line up the defense. Roy Williams apparently doesn't have the ability to do that. Reggie Nelson could barely get into college. Just doesn't seem to fit.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Tra_Col99;1453659 said:
Better picture of the ankle break celebration...

20070110-Pc-A1-0500.jpg
he looks so small in that picture. he better put on some weight if he wants to survive. i hate these little wrs they get hurt too easily

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1454041 said:
It don't take a brain surgeon to see this guy is FAST....FAST....FAST!

That he is. Scouts have been following him over the last couple of years and I think they have a good feel for Ginn and what he can do. After all it is not as if the combines are the 1st time they have seen these players. I think way too much is being placed on combines and pro days, these are tools for the scouts but it is a small fraction of information that scouts gather on players

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Ginn would be a perfect pick for us.

He wont have to step in right away and he can learn from 2 of the best receivers in the game and hopefully good coaching at that position.

Plus we'd have one of the best return games in the league and our offense can use all the help it can get.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Tristan;1453824 said:

I am with you there. If Ginn falls to 22 I will be shocked. Do you guys remember a coverted QB who was being switched to WR with freakish speed. His name was Matt Jones and he was taken in the low 20's. I don't see how a guy like Ginn makes it to 22. He is an established WR with great return ability.

He is a playmaker in the mold of Hester on special teams and S Moss as WR.

I don't see how in the world he falls to us.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
So the guy runs a 4.38 when he's 75% or whatever.

That's pretty damn good to me.

If he's there Pick the guy.

ted_ginn_jr_buckeyes_1.jpg