Give me dominant DL over super star QB

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying this has nothing to do with Daks contract or his value.

Thinking of what’s won the last 12 years, I think it’s obvious, if you have a dominant defensive line, you can win more than with a super star QB.

Examples:

Giants - 08 and 11.
Broncos - 2015
Eagles - 2017
Tampa - 2020

The Seahawks first Super Bowl in 2013 and the Ravens in 2012 were also both won by solid-above average QBs at the time.

Offense only teams rarely win. Last years Chiefs are about the only team to do so. The Rams-Patriots game in 2018 was the ultimate defensive struggle.

So what this means for Dallas - you can’t win anything except maybe a 9-7 NFC East title until you get the DT spots shored up with real players.
So don't tag Dak and bring in Suh and JJ Watt.

The only problem with that is....if you don't have a top end QB, then you'd better have a grade A rushing attack.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Brady's great, no question, but it appears you're overvaluing him a bit.

Overvaluing? How can you overvalue a QB with 7 rings and 5 super bowl MVPs? I guess you thought 7-9 Tampa was in the super bowl mix prior to his arrival.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Let me preface this by saying this has nothing to do with Daks contract or his value.

Thinking of what’s won the last 12 years, I think it’s obvious, if you have a dominant defensive line, you can win more than with a super star QB.

Examples:

Giants - 08 and 11.
Broncos - 2015
Eagles - 2017
Tampa - 2020

The Seahawks first Super Bowl in 2013 and the Ravens in 2012 were also both won by solid-above average QBs at the time.

Offense only teams rarely win. Last years Chiefs are about the only team to do so. The Rams-Patriots game in 2018 was the ultimate defensive struggle.

So what this means for Dallas - you can’t win anything except maybe a 9-7 NFC East title until you get the DT spots shored up with real players.
You can go far back as Danny white

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
stopping the run is the key,we havent been good at it for a long time because we dont invest in good DTs and our LBs suck.
As you know it starts in the middle. Defensive tackle middle linebacker strong safety. And those are our weakest positions for the last 20 years

KB1122

Reaction score
Seventy years of NFL Championships tells me you're wrong.

KB1122

Reaction score
Every team in the 1970s had a dominant defense. They had to change the rules to bring offense back into the game.

How many quarterbacks went to the Super Bowl?

Staubach. Bradshaw. Tarkenton. Griese. Stabler. Morton. Unitas. Kilmer.

Eight quarterbacks account for 18 spots. Six quarterbacks account for 16 of them.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Every team in the 1970s had a dominant defense. They had to change the rules to bring offense back into the game.

How many quarterbacks went to the Super Bowl?

Staubach. Bradshaw. Tarkenton. Griese. Stabler. Morton. Unitas. Kilmer.

Eight quarterbacks account for 18 spots. Six quarterbacks account for 16 of them.

A decade should have 20 spots not 18 ..

1970 - Unitas vs Morton
1971 - Staubach vs Griese
1972 - Griese vs Kilmer
1973 - Griese vs Tarkenton
1974 - Bradshaw vs Tarkenton
1975 - Bradshaw vs Staubach
1976 - Stabler vs Tarkenton
1977 - Staubach vs Morton
1978 - Staubach vs Bradshaw
1979 - Bradshaw vs Ferragamo. <~~~ You forgot this one.

Indeed every one of the teams on this list brought a great defense into the game. In case of the Cowboys and Steelers two of the greatest in NFL history. Well to be honest you would have to include the Vikings in that equation as well. That defense was nasty... just too small up front to hold up against the maulers the AFC was bringing to the game on offense back then.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
What this post SHOULD be saying is give me a dominant unit over any one individual. But even that is not universal. The Cowboys offensive line was as dominant a unit as there has been in the league.. yet when Emmitt was removed from the equation the Cowboys offense struggled to move the ball. Even with a hall of fame QB and receiver.. Sometimes a guy is just the straw that stirs the drink.. This is real football played by real humans.. There is no set "formula" for success. Other than get as many good players as you can at every position and pair them with good coaches..

Omegasupreme

Reaction score
Not even close. Brady had 4600 yards passing and 40 TD passes in the regular season. He was right behind Rodgers and Mahomes. The FACT (which is laughably indisputable at this point) is that Tampa underwent a culture change when Brady arrived. Not only did Brady raise the level of the offense, but he also raised the level of the defense b/c nobody wants to embarrass themselves in front of Tom Brady. Thats what the Tampa players say. And again, this was not a playoff team prior to his arrival. To surmise that the team carried Brady is absurd.
Agreed. He did change Arians offense that wasn’t really working well (mostly because it’s out of date and predictable) but then once he customized and modified the offense, it became something new: something there wasn’t a lot of game tape on so it had an element that gave Brady an advantage.
The part that is probably overlooked is Brady probably helped gameplan and prepare everyone on the Bucs. The team didn’t make dumb mistakes like the Chiefs did. In all of the Patriot documentaries, Brady demands precision. Now, could the Bucs have won the game with one Leonard Fornette rushing TD and a FG? Yup. The score was essentially 10-9 which is not “need big Brady numbers game”. But I think he, just like he used to do with Belichick, prepared the offense and had a voice in what the defense prepared too.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed. He did change Arians offense that wasn’t really working well (mostly because it’s out of date and predictable) but then once he customized and modified the offense, it became something new: something there wasn’t a lot of game tape on so it had an element that gave Brady an advantage.
The part that is probably overlooked is Brady probably helped gameplan and prepare everyone on the Bucs. The team didn’t make dumb mistakes like the Chiefs did. In all of the Patriot documentaries, Brady demands precision. Now, could the Bucs have won the game with one Leonard Fornette rushing TD and a FG? Yup. The score was essentially 10-9 which is not “need big Brady numbers game”. But I think he, just like he used to do with Belichick, prepared the offense and had a voice in what the defense prepared too.

The whole team just took on a different feel and persona when he arrived. In July, I honesty would have bet 5 figures against what he accomplished this year....... throwing for 40 TDs at his age..... another super bowl MVP. And all of it with minimal preseason preparation. I've never seen anything like it my 40 years of watching the NFL. I remember Montana going to KC and having some success in elevating that team but nothing on par with what Brady just did in Tampa.

bewp7

Reaction score
i saw the giants win super bowls with it so i agree.

washington and sf will both probly win 1 too.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
The whole team just took on a different feel and persona when he arrived. In July, I honesty would have bet 5 figures against what he accomplished this year....... throwing for 40 TDs at his age..... another super bowl MVP. And all of it with minimal preseason preparation. I've never seen anything like it my 40 years of watching the NFL. I remember Montana going to KC and having some success in elevating that team but nothing on par with what Brady just did in Tampa.
At thanksgiving they were 7-5 and just looked to be a slightly better version of his NE team last year. The run they went on in December was amazing and then they had great luck in the playoffs.

Brees - torn rotator cuff
GB - can’t cash in on 3 straight INTs from Brady. How many QBs in history have won playoff games period with 3 INTs. Much less on the road.
KC - starts linemen in 3 new spots for super bowl.

chagus

Reaction score
Very true . Even the Broncos 97 super bowl was won with Defense , and Elway had to only throw like 150 yards all game .
This proves why dak at 35 -40 mil is a complete waste with the dallas defensive needs .
Thats simply the market value for a proven top QB in TODAYS league. Deal with it. Pay the man.

chagus

Reaction score
stopping the run is the key,we havent been good at it for a long time because we dont invest in good DTs and our LBs suck.
I dont think our LBs suck. I think the lack of good DT play exposed our LBs. Our LBs suffered because our DTs sucked.

Cebrin

Reaction score
Not even close. Brady had 4600 yards passing and 40 TD passes in the regular season. He was right behind Rodgers and Mahomes. The FACT (which is laughably indisputable at this point) is that Tampa underwent a culture change when Brady arrived. Not only did Brady raise the level of the offense, but he also raised the level of the defense b/c nobody wants to embarrass themselves in front of Tom Brady. Thats what the Tampa players say. And again, this was not a playoff team prior to his arrival. To surmise that the team carried Brady is absurd.
I don't think anyone's goal here is to slight Brady as an all-time great. However, it gets merky when people want to contribute 7 titles entirely on his shoulders. The game of football is too complex for one player to be so solely responsible. That doesn't mean that said player isn't a strong contribution to this success, however.

Tampa was 6th in turnover differential. Their defense was, and has been dominant before Brady got there. Their QB was trash. I would have bet money for Brady to lose had the cards fell right for KC. Tampa played a great team missing its starting tackles (as Cowboys fans we should know how this feels) in the biggest game of the year. You can't give a defense that's top 10 in the NFL of providing short field for their offense any sort of advantage (I believe they were top 3 in that department, actually). 40 touchdowns for a pro with short field should come easy, and I say that with the upmost respect for T.B. who is a workhorse, and brilliant all-time great QB.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think anyone's goal here is to slight Brady as an all-time great. However, it gets merky when people want to contribute 7 titles entirely on his shoulders. The game of football is too complex for one player to be so solely responsible. That doesn't mean that said player isn't a strong contribution to this success, however.

Tampa was 6th in turnover differential. Their defense was, and has been dominant before Brady got there. Their QB was trash. I would have bet money for Brady to lose had the cards fell right for KC. Tampa played a great team missing its starting tackles (as Cowboys fans we should know how this feels) in the biggest game of the year. You can't give a defense that's top 10 in the NFL of providing short field for their offense any sort of advantage (I believe they were top 3 in that department, actually). 40 touchdowns for a pro with short field should come easy, and I say that with the upmost respect for T.B. who is a workhorse, and brilliant all-time great QB.

Tampa did not have a "dominant" defense before Brady arrived. lol. They were good not great. Brady had much better defenses in NE.

The game of football is indeed complex yet there is only one player who has played in half the super bowls the past 20 years. Tampa was not a contender or even in contention for their own division title prior to Brady's arrival. I'm always amazed when guys like you try to chip away someones accomplishment AFTER its done. Brady could have picked 15 other teams and still ended up with the Lombardi.