1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys News!
    #dallascowboys · Cowboys Fan Zone

Give Mr. Jones Some Respect!

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TheCritic, Jul 1, 2022.

1. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

19,277 Messages
    9,865 Likes Received
    THIS......SPOT ON.

2. CWR

CWR Well-Known Member

18,706 Messages
    27,365 Likes Received
    Love your optimism. To be honest, I've long since considered it a foregone conclusion. This gives me hope. Ish.

3. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

30,985 Messages
    26,019 Likes Received
    The Cowboys were the NFL's top brand far before Jerry came along. Again, the OP is talking about the popularity of the team, not about the success or lack or success during Jones' leadership. Landry's 20 consecutive winning seasons and Schramm's marketing made the Cowboys the No. 1 draw. The Cowboys were already America's Team. As you said, facts are facts.

I've said in another post that Jones deserves his share of credit for the three Super Bowls we won in the 1990s, but the popularity of the team would have waned over these past 20-something years if it had not already been established by Landry and Schramm. Jones has capitalized on that popularity, and he deserves credit for that, but he didn't cause it.

4. Howboutdemcowboys31

Howboutdemcowboys31 Well-Known Member

4,659 Messages
    8,210 Likes Received
    Being someone whose never witnessed anything pre-Campo era

I could give 2 stools about spotlight

5. Pass2Run

Pass2Run Well-Known Member

4,130 Messages
    5,243 Likes Received
    It's like that for every single team.

Unless you're the Patriots, and Tom Brady has been you're quarterback, almost every team goes through what we've been through. And that depends on which era we're talking about.

We do a lot of griping, as fans. But the truth is, there's only one franchise with more Super Bowls than the Cowboys.

I agree that that's history.

So now the trick is learning how to win in the cap era.

6. Ranching

Ranching Well-Known Member

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    37,589 Messages
    95,454 Likes Received
    Thats me!..lol

RustyBourneHorse likes this.
  7. Ranching

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    37,589 Messages
    95,454 Likes Received
    Jerry is a good guy......if I didn't like him, I would not stick around.

8. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

49,473 Messages
    27,544 Likes Received
    :laugh:
    Thanks.

Ranching likes this.
  9. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

19,277 Messages
    9,865 Likes Received
    I getcha, Ranch. To each his own.

I'm not going anywhere. Jed will NOT steal this team From me.

One of us was here first......get off my lawn, Jerry!!!! ;)

10. ksadler1

ksadler1 Well-Known Member

3,517 Messages
    4,736 Likes Received
    I'll give Jerry credit when he takes a good long look in the mirror and sells the team. After the past 27 years l have no confidence in him or his son...

11. Cowfan75

Cowfan75 Well-Known Member

5,854 Messages
    6,484 Likes Received
    Exactly this. If the fans spent the lowest of our last 30 years wearing paper bags on their heads, staying home on Sundays or not tuning in at all, best believe we would have already added another ring by now. Jerry has had the firepower and the cash to put us over the top, but never felt the need to because he can keep the spotlight and stay atop the value chart. He's only ever needed to be in contention, we take care of the rest. All this "all-in" nonsense has been garbage for 30 years. It's "all-in" Jerry's way or it's what's another wasted year?

12. IceBowler

IceBowler Well-Known Member

975 Messages
    1,401 Likes Received
    I don't buy merchandise. I do go to games but only on someone else's expense account. May I ask you a legitimate question? Give the vitriol you have for the organization - why do you watch?? :banghead:

13. buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis Well-Known Member

20,358 Messages
    17,651 Likes Received
    Jerry is the best in the sports entertainment industry.

14. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Moderator

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    38,309 Messages
    68,847 Likes Received
    That, is an excellent question for all that are displeased with how the team is run.

While the Cowboys are still my team because they have been for 54 years, I no longer have near the passion for them that I once had. I still do connect with the uniforms back to the days of passion.

I do not know if I would still be a fan if not for the old DC.com and the Zone and interacting with the members of both. It became something I was not expecting when I first joined and truth be told, both places are a hell of a lot more fun and funny when the team is not doing well.

And where else are a bunch of pissed off fans going to complain with only minor recriminations from their fellow fans? Anyone else want to listen to us? Know what they'll do? Ask the same good question you did.

15. Captain-Crash

Captain-Crash Well-Known Member

12,667 Messages
    18,508 Likes Received
    AC got the keys?

Runwildboys and Ranching like this.
  16. Ranching

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    37,589 Messages
    95,454 Likes Received
    I'm out! For now, lol

Captain-Crash and Runwildboys like this.
  17. noshame

noshame I'm not dead yet......

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    10,018 Messages
    7,511 Likes Received
    Thank you, I was hurling on my screen.

18. Bullflop

Bullflop Cowboys Diehard

CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
    22,930 Messages
    28,238 Likes Received
    I respect Jerry for his innate abilities to function, as he does, to be a business success!

What haunts me to no end, is his insistence to serve in the capacity as this team's GM.

If he'd just agree to surrender his self-indulgence as a GM, maybe I'd almost like him?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
    75boyz and DallasEast like this.
  19. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Moderator

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    50,868 Messages
    41,090 Likes Received
    There is a 99.9% likelihood you will never give Jones credit. Nothing he has done in business or expressed publicly during the past 33 years suggests he will ever sell the franchise. Of course, anything is possible.

Runwildboys and Ranching like this.
  20. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Moderator

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    50,868 Messages
    41,090 Likes Received
    ^ This.

The league honored Jones' business prowess by inducting him into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. It is ironic that his one glaring business flaw is his inflexibility in football operations oversight.

HIs personality trait prevents him from doing what any good business owner does: re-examine and act accordingly. He did what he did as general manager during those first five Super Bowl winning years. Five more years past and he did not duplicate his GM success. Ten years past. Ditto. Fifteen years go by. Nada.

It has been over a quarter century. The average business person would have done a base re-assessment of what was not working and attempted to correct underlining obstacles preventing success decades sooner. Over the years, he has moved chess pieces around him but refused to remove himself from the board. The idiot checkmates himself.

No. Jones is nothing like the average business person, even the highly successful ones. Wealth, even super-wealth, should never override common business sense. Jones has done it to himself for decades though. And that difference should be acknowledged by anyone wanting to truly understand why he is so adamant about never pulling the stick out of his own <expletive>.

75boyz likes this.