Glad Dan Quinn's bad schemes are gone from Dallas

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm more tired of watching other teams in the SB than any fans opinions.......we can argue with each other all day but the real villain is the guy pushing all the buttons
Everyone knows that already. Trolls like you remind everyone 10-100 times everyday.

shabazz

Reaction score
Everyone knows that already. Trolls like you remind everyone 10-100 times everyday.
Not everybody knows it. We still have a few Pollyannas here that still lick the boots of the senile owner... ..kind of how you still lick the boots of our quarterback after 8 years of failure.

Game, Set, and Match.....now go back to quitting on the team like your quitter thread promised you would do.

DStar22

Reaction score
ok I am happy about Zimmer as well, since Quinn is gone.. but the 2nd play in that video... the run.. where the HELL is Dlaw 90 going? he had a free open to the QB AND the running back and he runs behind the line AWAY from the play??!?

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
Then I’d say there’s probably a good chance you’re a disgruntled fan whose jaded by anything the team does anyways (even the good moves) - a blame jerry for everything or we will never win with jerry guy (same applies with dak).

Quinn came here and the defense immediately improved. He brought guys like Kearse who were jags elsewhere and made them into productive solid players. He generated turnovers at high clips and got the players to play hard. Players wanted to come here to play for him- guys like Wagner who the front office passed on which made him lean heavily into nickel and 3 safety situations.

Beyond that he got Nfl head coaching interviews every year and this year multiple teams wanted to at least hear from him. He’s not a perfect coordinator and his scheme had flaws and warts like stopping the run but as a coordinator he’s one of the better guys you can have.
This a you-know-who apology thread. I never see them posting any videos that are remotely critical of you-know-who. Anyway...

Dan Quinn was not my cup of tea, but he did wonders with player development. But at the end of the day, he did not pick the players, pick his own staff, coach the team and he doesn't play QB. Dan Quinn did not have the personnel to run his scheme effectively and at that point in the season, you are relying on Jerry to go "all-in". Guess what? They left him to what he had in house.

My main criticism of Quinn is this: If the D truly played zone due to Gilly's shoulder, then you sit Gillie and start your next guy up and hope he has a game for year. You simply can't expect guys who weren't communicating all year (due to playing man defense) and expect them to handle a red hot WR squad.

All of this notwithstanding...you-know-who loses even when the D plays well. Maybe the defense holds up if the QB doesn't give away 14 points? Where is that analysis?

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Good riddance!

Looking forward to better defensive schemes and playcalls by Mike Zimmer.

Mike Zimmer won't do much. Unless we bring in the guys to stop the run he will be another 3 years and out in Dallas. I for one not so thrilled about him. Quinn is better. He turned our D to a top 10 D in less than a year. What has Zimmer done that is anything worthy?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not everybody knows it. We still have a few Pollyannas here that still lick the boots of the senile owner... ..kind of how you still lick the boots of our quarterback after 8 years of failure.

Game, Set, and Match.....now go back to quitting on the team like your quitter thread promised you would do.
You mean the QB who finished 2nd in the NFL MVP voting?

Robster8989

Reaction score
Nobody is arguing against you. D-Law definitely has not lived up to his potential and pay. Mike Zimmer will soon either be able to improve D-Law or recommend he get shipped out. Same goes for everyone else on defense.
Agreed.
DLaw looks like a rookie on this play, compleytly loses the Edge.
Been watching Micah too much, chasing glory.
Bosa gave a textbook display of an Edge maintaining his edge in the SB.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Agreed.
DLaw looks like a rookie on this play, compleytly loses the Edge.
Been watching Micah too much, chasing glory.
Bosa gave a textbook display of an Edge maintaining his edge in the SB.
Correct.

One good thing about Zimmer is he is a stickler about playing sound defense technically and fundamentally while sticking to one's responsibility and understanding why.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
Quinn relied solely on parsons to make him look good. When we ran into teams that could run the ball and also got the ball out quickly he had 0 answers. Look at last years jags game….or this year 49ers… bills.. Seahawks. All four teams got the ball out quick and/or ran it against us. I think we averaged giving up 35+ points in those games.

Quinn was also very stubborn. Staying in defenses while teams were running it down our throat.

Yeah he did some good while he was here… and he’s a players guy. But if he didn’t have Micah I’d venture to say he wouldn’t be the head coach now in Washington.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Quinn relied solely on parsons to make him look good. When we ran into teams that could run the ball and also got the ball out quickly he had 0 answers. Look at last years jags game….or this year 49ers… bills.. Seahawks. All four teams got the ball out quick and/or ran it against us. I think we averaged giving up 35+ points in those games.

Quinn was also very stubborn. Staying in defenses while teams were running it down our throat.

Yeah he did some good while he was here… and he’s a players guy. But if he didn’t have Micah I’d venture to say he wouldn’t be the head coach now in Washington.
100%! :hammer:

Toro9

Reaction score
My worry is that is there time this year to bring in some quality linebackers? We have other holes to fill as well.
There will be some good FA LBs out there and I think that's the direction that should be taken. We need to re-up in the trenches and find a good RB in the draft.

Motorola

Reaction score
Do you think Zimmer was calling those schemes crazy when his Vikings got smashed at home 40-3 in 2022 and they held Cousins to 100 yards passing?
Zimmer's last season as Minnesota HC was 2021.
Kevin O'Connell has been the Vikings head coach the last two seasons (2022, 2023).

J_Allen

Reaction score
In defense of DQ, he didn't have much to work with at LB. If he had 2 or 3 competent linebackers who could read their assignments and understand their responsibilities it would make a huge difference. Additionally, Kearse regressed big time this year. That made the situation at LB even worse. The two plays broken down in the video are more about the players than the scheme.
Well since that was the case, why didn't he move Parsons back to Middle linebacker?

And what was with his defenses before the end of the half and at the end of games? The goal is to not let them get yards and score.

Thank God he's Washington's problem now.

J_Allen

Reaction score
We all saw what happened when Parsons played MLB in the GB game. It wasn't pretty.
To be honest I was at work and didn't feel like screwing something up while those losers didn't bother to show up for yet another playoff game. I watched about 30 minutes of it total.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Good riddance!

Looking forward to better defensive schemes and playcalls by Mike Zimmer.

Quinn's schemes worked great for a while, the issue is good coaches and teams found ways to crack it with quick passes, motion, and runs to slow the pass rush. Quinn really didn't do well with in game adjustments and kept trying to do the same stuff.

I do like that Zimmer talked about keeping things that were working well similiar while changing others. The challenge with a totally new scheme is the early learning curve and keeping some concepts similar shortens that curve.

LysleE

Reaction score
Funny how a playoff game changes peoples’ perception of DQ; during the regular season when the defense was dominant, people wanted MM fired and DQ to become head coach. Now…after the humiliating loss to GB in the playoffs, people are glad he is gone and that his schemes suck. Granted the defense played a part in the GB game, but that was an epic fail by the organization in its entirety.
I’m curious to see how DQ does in DC. Where he has the freedom to put his team together however he wants and gets to pick his own coaching staff…all without any limitations placed upon him by the FO. Do we think that Jerry allowed DQ to operate autonomously, or did Jerry place limitations on what DQ could do?
Good or bad I think DQ was one of the best DCs in the league; much better than Zimmer I think.