Golden State Killer (AKA East area rapist & Original night stalker) caught!

yimyammer

Reaction score
Shockingly bold:

A deep panic had settled over the Sacramento region in the late 1970s as the East Area Rapist, again and again, stalked neighborhoods, broke into homes and raped women.

But one man said he wasn't worried. At a town-hall meeting hosted by the Sacramento County Sheriff's Office, he stood up and declared husbands could keep their wives safe.

Not long after, the East Area Rapist broke into the man's home and assaulted his wife.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article209917839.html#storylink=cpy

The Community Meeting

Carol Daly, who retired as Sacramento County undersheriff in 2001, was one of the original investigators on the case. In a Sacramento Bee story, Daly recalls how she and her colleagues would hold community meetings to ease fears and answer questions as police tried desperately to stop the killer terrorizing their community. At one meeting, Daly told the Bee, a man stood up and berated law enforcement and, by extension, the husband of victims of the East Area Rapist, for not fighting back as the killer would rape their wives.

Not long after, someone broke into that man’s home and assaulted his wife, said Daly, now 76. “I know the rapist was at that community meeting.” Link

yimyammer

Reaction score
Paul Holes had been tracking the Golden State Killer for 24 years, but time was running out. He had nine months before he retired as an investigator for the Contra Costa County district attorney’s office, and he desperately wanted to crack his biggest case.

Its strange to me this detective retired like 2 weeks before they made the arrest of the person he had been chasing for years. I can't remember which show I saw him say this on, but he said he was sitting in front of De'Angelo's house and almost knocked on the door and asked him if he would give him a DNA sample but was glad he decide not to and was glad he didn't (and I am too).

Then he retired and a few weeks later De'Angelo was arrested.

I think I'd hang around for a few weeks if I knew an arrest was potentially imminent

I wonder if he retired because he knew there were going to be tons of opportunities to write books, etc and he couldn't do this while on the force.

Found an article talking about what I saw on TV:

"On Holes' last day of active duty in late March, he parked across the street from DeAngelo's Citrus Heights home. He thought about doing what he'd done many times before.

"I'm just debating whether I should knock on this guy's door," he said. "Just tell him, 'I'm looking at old cases, your name has come up, can we chat and can I have a sample of your DNA?'"

Later, Holes said police discovered DeAngelo had "numerous guns registered to him." If he was their suspect, that meant he also had shot at a police officer during a chase in Visalia in 1975. And he had killed 12 people.

"In retrospect, it was a good decision to drive off," Holes said. "This is a very dangerous man. My wife is extremely relieved by that decision."

LINK

Last edited:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I saw an article that mentions using a similar method to identify Zodiac.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Great find!

Fascinating interview!

Obviously want to see DeAngelo prosecuted and punished to the fullest extent of the law... But I'm like the detective being interviewed– I want to know what makes DeAngelo tick and want to know his thought process on what he did what he did. Just the shear magnitude of crimes and the escalation from ransacker to rapist to murderer... My gosh if it were turned into a book it would be a 1,000 pages.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
and I'd read every one of them...I don't know why but I find this and other similar cases endlessly fascinating.

Now if they can just catch the Zodiac killer...

Zodiac would amazing. But so many cold cases that could be solved through this DNA stuff.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Remember the movie, Frequency? The killer ended up being a retired cop... so now we have real life imitating art.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This is going to be one heck of a movie soon. I am not sure a 2-hr movie will do its justice, might have to be an 8-part miniseries.

Eastwood be an excellent choice for director if he is up for it :cool:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is going to be one heck of a movie soon. I am not sure a 2-hr movie will do its justice, might have to be an 8-part miniseries.

Eastwood be an excellent choice for director if he is up for it :cool:

If this case goes to a jury trial... It's going to be something.

As I recall the "Hillside Strangler's" murder trial was a circus with Kenneth Bianchi faking a split personality and such.

This one has already started off on the circus-foot with DeAngelo faking that he's infirmed.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Its strange to me this detective retired like 2 weeks before they made the arrest of the person he had been chasing for years. I can't remember which show I saw him say this on, but he said he was sitting in front of De'Angelo's house and almost knocked on the door and asked him if he would give him a DNA sample but was glad he decide not to and was glad he didn't (and I am too).

Then he retired and a few weeks later De'Angelo was arrested.

I think I'd hang around for a few weeks if I knew an arrest was potentially imminent

I wonder if he retired because he knew there were going to be tons of opportunities to write books, etc and he couldn't do this while on the force.

Found an article talking about what I saw on TV:

"On Holes' last day of active duty in late March, he parked across the street from DeAngelo's Citrus Heights home. He thought about doing what he'd done many times before.

"I'm just debating whether I should knock on this guy's door," he said. "Just tell him, 'I'm looking at old cases, your name has come up, can we chat and can I have a sample of your DNA?'"

Later, Holes said police discovered DeAngelo had "numerous guns registered to him." If he was their suspect, that meant he also had shot at a police officer during a chase in Visalia in 1975. And he had killed 12 people.

"In retrospect, it was a good decision to drive off," Holes said. "This is a very dangerous man. My wife is extremely relieved by that decision."

LINK
Great interview and watched most of it until he got to the point you're speaking on here. He's in it for the payday most definitely. "I am completely separated from the force/investigation (I can write books/sell my story) I've since done nothing but interviews, and can assist in a consultation role for the DA". Saying that, he seems spot on in his criminal profile outside of the age difference.