Golden State Killer (AKA East area rapist & Original night stalker) caught!

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great interview and watched most of it until he got to the point you're speaking on here. He's in it for the payday most definitely. "I am completely separated from the force/investigation (I can write books/sell my story) I've since done nothing but interviews, and can assist in a consultation role for the DA". Saying that, he seems spot on in his criminal profile outside of the age difference.

I wouldn't hold that against him.

Go over to Amazon and look at the books in the "True Crime" category... My gosh many have been written by cops, prosecutors and even judges.

I think this detective did a heck of a job and if he scores a book deal out of it... So be it.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I wouldn't hold that against him.

Go over to Amazon and look at the books in the "True Crime" category... My gosh many have been written by cops, prosecutors and even judges.

I think this detective did a heck of a job and if he scores a book deal out of it... So be it.
Oh I didn't mean it to dump on him, but did kinda look like that looking back. Was more just confirming that was the deal.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One of victim's family members has a blog on the case...

http://jcarole.com/

Her father and stepmother were murdered by the "Golden State Killer".

And she attended the court proceedings yesterday (May 14th).

Interesting stuff... There were several of the "Eastside Rapist" victims there in court also.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is it true this guy may be linked to more crimes in the '60's? Thought I saw a snippet of that somewhere.....

Possible, but I believe he was in the Navy until '68.

Someone brought up "Zodiac" and I just don't see it. To go from a "Lover's Lane" killer to the ransacker to the rapist to murderer again... Doesn't make sense to me.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Wow took them many many years to find him.

from the Washington post:
Paul Holes, an investigator and DNA expert, had a hunch he could create a road map to the killer through his genetics.

Holes used DNA recovered from a crime scene to find the killer’s great-great-great grandparents, who lived in the early 1800s. Branch by painstaking branch, he and a team created about 25 family trees containing thousands of relatives down to the present day.

One fork led to a 72-year-old retiree who was quietly living out his golden years in the Sacramento suburb of Citrus Heights. Holes was intrigued after learning the man was a disgraced cop.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wow took them many many years to find him.

from the Washington post:
Paul Holes, an investigator and DNA expert, had a hunch he could create a road map to the killer through his genetics.

Holes used DNA recovered from a crime scene to find the killer’s great-great-great grandparents, who lived in the early 1800s. Branch by painstaking branch, he and a team created about 25 family trees containing thousands of relatives down to the present day.

One fork led to a 72-year-old retiree who was quietly living out his golden years in the Sacramento suburb of Citrus Heights. Holes was intrigued after learning the man was a disgraced cop.

Fascinating stuff indeed.

yimyammer

Reaction score
Read the warrant documents in the East Area Rapist case

A Sacramento judge Friday ordered arrest and search warrant information in the East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer case unsealed after weeks of arguments between attorneys over how the release would impact the trial of suspect Joseph James DeAngelo.

Sacramento Superior Court Judge Michael Sweet issued his order Friday afternoon, leading to the release of 171 pages of documents with redactions. Read them here:

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article212377094.html#storylink=cpy

Search Warrant

Arrest Warrant

yimyammer

Reaction score
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – New details on the suspected Golden State Killer/East Area Rapist are being released.

The documents set to be unsealed include how police tracked down Joseph DeAngelo and arrested him.

A Sacramento County judge made the decision yesterday after hours in a closed session with the defense, prosecution and an attorney for the media. He announced his decision in court on Friday.

The warrant in the case was related to the deaths of Brian and Katie Maggiore. The couple was shot to death while they were out on a walk in Rancho Cordova in 1978. The murder wasn’t initially linked to the East Area Rapist or the Golden State Killer for two decades.

DeAngelo had been under surveillance by the Sacramento County Sheriff’s team for at least four days before his arrest.

The documents appear to show DeAngelo was arrested three times, but the information is redacted.

DeAngelo is accused of committing up to 57 attacks and an additional 13 homicides. His connections to the crimes were drawn through circumstantial and geographic evidence.

The DNA investigators say connects DeAngelo to some of the crimes was collected first from a car door at a Roseville Hobby Lobby in 2018, but the sample wasn’t good enough. Another sample was taken from tissue in the trashcan outside his home.

Documents relating to alleged sex acts will remain sealed, the judge decided.

Further, documents relating to items seized from DeAngelo’s home will also remain sealed.

Attorneys working on the case say the documents include a list of evidence items that could link the defendant to the crimes.

DeAngelo next court date is set for July 12.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Oh my. And here I thought this thread was about Stephen Curry! :p

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
An article on a number of other cases where a potential guilty party has been found due to the type DNA forensic research that was done to capture the "Golden State Killer"...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/27/science/dna-family-trees-cold-cases.html

I think this is the tip of the ice-berg. I think you're going to see a huge number of cold cases from the 70's onward where a potential guilty party has been found using this technology.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I would have liked to the cops that made the arrest ... I'm the suspect would have quite the expression on his face. Glad he's caught...

yimyammer

Reaction score
Accused Golden State Killer to be charged for first murder in 1975

CBS News has learned the alleged Golden State Killer will be charged Monday for what investigators believe was his very first murder. Joseph DeAngelo is accused of shooting Claude Snelling in Visalia, California, in 1975. The district attorney and police chief will announce the new charges. Detectives say his criminal behavior escalated in the small farming town, from sadistic burglar to notorious serial killer.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not sure what evidence they have to charge him in the '75 case.

One possibility is that they recovered the gun that was used.

Supposed a revolver had been stolen in a previous "ransacker" burglary and it was suspected that it was used in the killing of Mr. Snelling. If that revolver was found in the suspect's house then I would say that's solid evidence.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Not sure what evidence they have to charge him in the '75 case.

One possibility is that they recovered the gun that was used.

Supposed a revolver had been stolen in a previous "ransacker" burglary and it was suspected that it was used in the killing of Mr. Snelling. If that revolver was found in the suspect's house then I would say that's solid evidence.

Something turned them on to this guy and I’m anxious to hear what it was/is.