Good film breakdown of Dak

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
could desire for a player to be good, or the "one" cause inaccurate analyses. I think so.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Outside of the Carolina game, Romo was undefeated in games he started. He was 3-1 in 2015 and they were 0-12 without him. What does that tell you about his value? As good as Romo was, it was the really the lack of Murray that hurt the team even more. McFadden was an in between the 20s kind of back and turned out to not be the bell cow that Murray was (and not good in all 3 phases of the game like Murry for that matter). In 2016, the team drafts a more talented version of Murray and look what happened. So Romo was 3-1 without Murray. What was Dak without Zeke? I rest my case.:D

You're asking the wrong question; Should be ... What was Dak without the OL?
With the OL, Dak was 13-3.
Without the OL he was 9-7.

erod

Reaction score
You are letting your hate get in the way of accurate analyses. Surprising.

You're preconceived notions are just off. I don't hate Dak. Far from it. Objective observations from seeing every throw he's made so far.

This doesn't translate to performance against good defenses in tight games so far. It just doesn't. And the physical limitations are concerning.

That doesn't mean this situation is impossible. Just unlikely at this point.

Cap12

Reaction score
You're asking the wrong question; Should be ... What was Dak without the OL?
With the OL, Dak was 13-3.
Without the OL he was 9-7.
I believe the Cowboys had an O-line for 16 games last season, lol. If you are talking without T. Smith, he missed 3 full games (and a couple other partials). We were 0-3 in those games.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I believe the Cowboys had an O-line for 16 games last season, lol. If you are talking without T. Smith, he missed 3 full games (and a couple other partials). We were 0-3 in those games.
That's the "go to" when talking about the O line last season.
Not only did we miss Smith when he was out, he also played injured. To make matters worse on the left side the LG was horrible. This could have made things worse for Smith. Then the new RT. We had some struggles there. As a unit, the O line was just plain inconsistent. Add missing Elliott to this. He is very good at pass blocking, but upon his return he struggled. When he was out there was a void. Under pressure, Dak struggled with mechanics.

Cap12

Reaction score
That's the "go to" when talking about the O line last season.
Not only did we miss Smith when he was out, he also played injured. To make matters worse on the left side the LG was horrible. This could have made things worse for Smith. Then the new RT. We had some struggles there. As a unit, the O line was just plain inconsistent. Add missing Elliott to this. He is very good at pass blocking, but upon his return he struggled. When he was out there was a void. Under pressure, Dak struggled with mechanics.

Ty Smith actually played injured for much of 2016 too.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Ty Smith actually played injured for much of 2016 too.
Maybe you missed the other points I made in an attempt to illustrate it wasn't JUST ONE player.
My fault for not being more clear.

kskboys

Reaction score
You're preconceived notions are just off. I don't hate Dak. Far from it. Objective observations from seeing every throw he's made so far.

This doesn't translate to performance against good defenses in tight games so far. It just doesn't. And the physical limitations are concerning.

That doesn't mean this situation is impossible. Just unlikely at this point.
That's not what we were discussing. Dak has above average arm strength. He and Cooper are not close. Not even comparable.

I'm fully aware of Dak's shortcomings. Of course they bother me. His shortcomings concerning his arm are accuracy and poor mechanics, esp in the face of pressure. His arm strength is not even in question, as he has more than enough of it.

If you're saying Cooper has more arm strength than Dak, you are not even coming close to being objective.

I'm on the other side of the coin, I do believe Dak will be able to overcome and become a Steve McNair type QB. It's going to take a ton of work, esp on his mechanics, esp in a collapsing pocket. In an instance such as this, I tend to put both his years together to evaluate. I wasn't as impressed as most w/ his first season, and wasn't as down as most on his 2nd. He's shown good and bad signs. I never saw Joe Montana, and I don't see Ryan Leaf. What I see is simply a talented kid w/ a ton of work to do. And the work ethic and attitude to do it.

kskboys

Reaction score
could desire for a player to be good, or the "one" cause inaccurate analyses. I think so.
Absolutely. Most analyses I see on this board are affected in a major way by fandom, preconceived notions, TV talking heads, and often previous players success/non-success. I fight it myself all the time.

However, w/ Dak, I'm as objective as I can be. He's been both good and bad. I truthfully cannot fathom what makes anyone give up on him right now, as he was young and raw coming in. Last season was as easy to see coming as a school girl squealing. He was due a downswing, just as most young QB's are. The important facet now is how he comes out of it. I like his chances due to his great attitude and work ethic. Others don't, and that is their right.

However, there is no use lying about him to either promote or dissuade. I'll fight either one tooth and nail.

Cap12

Reaction score
Maybe you missed the other points I made in an attempt to illustrate it wasn't JUST ONE player.
My fault for not being more clear.
I never said your other points weren't valid (just because I did not address them), I just observed that Ty Smith's injuries go back to 2016. My view is that aside from the Falcons game where Green looked completely lost, the loss of the RB really exposed some of Dak's weakness more than the limitations of the line without T. Smith (mostly Dak's pocket awareness and slow release). Yeah, the line went from excellent to ranging from mediocre to better than average. Still, aside from Atlanta, Dak was not under siege. He just needed to get rid of the ball faster.

Cap12

Reaction score
Absolutely. Most analyses I see on this board are affected in a major way by fandom, preconceived notions, TV talking heads, and often previous players success/non-success. I fight it myself all the time.

However, w/ Dak, I'm as objective as I can be. He's been both good and bad. I truthfully cannot fathom what makes anyone give up on him right now, as he was young and raw coming in. Last season was as easy to see coming as a school girl squealing. He was due a downswing, just as most young QB's are. The important facet now is how he comes out of it. I like his chances due to his great attitude and work ethic. Others don't, and that is their right.

However, there is no use lying about him to either promote or dissuade. I'll fight either one tooth and nail.

Absolutely! The idea of giving up on Dak on the basis of 2 seasons is absurd! He's shown enough to warrant the faith the coaches seem to have in him, but he will need to continue to improve or he won't see a second contract.

kskboys

Reaction score
I never said your other points weren't valid (just because I did not address them), I just observed that Ty Smith's injuries go back to 2016. My view is that aside from the Falcons game where Green looked completely lost, the loss of the RB really exposed some of Dak's weakness more than the limitations of the line without T. Smith (mostly Dak's pocket awareness and slow release). Yeah, the line went from excellent to ranging from mediocre to better than average. Still, aside from Atlanta, Dak was not under siege. He just needed to get rid of the ball faster.
Dak has a great release. What you're referring to is holding onto the ball too long, a different matter.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
We watched different games. He was pressured, hurried and sacked more than 2016. I get the Atlanta was the most visible, but there were other games where the entire offense was a screen door.

Cap12

Reaction score
Dak has a great release. What you're referring to is holding onto the ball too long, a different matter.
He definitely needs to not hold the ball, but he does have a bit of a hitch in his throwing mechanics, which does slow his release a bit.

Cap12

Reaction score
We watched different games. He was pressured, hurried and sacked more than 2016. I get the Atlanta was the most visible, but there were other games where the entire offense was a screen door.

No doubt, but aside from Atlanta, not more than most other QBs in the league (that is what I meant from the line ranged from mediocre to better than average, with the exception of the Atlanta game). Dak simply needs to get rid of the ball faster and improve his throw mechanics. The ball needs to get out faster.

erod

Reaction score

His arm motion is too long, and he throws ball into the ground and behind receivers (a lot!). He sails them on out routes. He throws well to receivers right in front of him, and he's pretty good on deep throws down the sideline. His deep out routes are atrocious from the pocket, and he doesn't read the deep middle at all well.

The worst part is, he doesn't believe in his arm. That's what concerns me.

erod

Reaction score

Same for virtually every QB in football.

There were times Dak was hurried when the ball should have been long gone anyway. It's relative.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Same for virtually every QB in football.

There were times Dak was hurried when the ball should have been long gone anyway. It's relative.
Didn't you claim Rush had a better arm?

Cap12

Reaction score
His arm motion is too long, and he throws ball into the ground and behind receivers (a lot!). He sails them on out routes. He throws well to receivers right in front of him, and he's pretty good on deep throws down the sideline. His deep out routes are atrocious from the pocket, and he doesn't read the deep middle at all well.

The worst part is, he doesn't believe in his arm. That's what concerns me.

Wow. This is actually pretty good analysis and completely fair. Much better than accusing Dak of having a noodle arm, lol.