Good film breakdown of Dak

Cap12

Reaction score
You're comparing one QB's entire career to another QB's 2 seasons. How is that the least bit realistic?
When deciding who to start in week 10 of 2016, you have to weigh those considerations. Garrett let the inmates run the asylum so they stayed with Dak. It's B.S. to say that the job was Dak's. He certainly played well enough to retain against a normal veteran, but he didn't measure up to what a healthy Tony (which he was at that point) brings to the table. He was drafted as a QB project and he played way better than expected, but the ride had to end at some point. It should have ended week 10. If you want to move on from Romo after that point so he can take the CBS job, so be it, but they really should have gone back to Tony in 2016.

Cap12

Reaction score
E, your hate is getting in the way of evaluation causing you to misrepresent facts. Even saying his arm strength is the same as Rush is simply silly. And I know you know this, so I'm guessing you're simply saying it for effect, or to kickstart a discussion. That's my best guess.
Yeah, some folks look at Dak through rose colored glasses. Others are at the opposite end of the extreme. Erod's hate of Dak is pretty clear and is unfair to Dak. As I posted above, there is no comparison between Dak and Rush the prospects and Dak's fairly successful tenure in the league makes the comparison even more ridiculous.

Cap12

Reaction score
We need a dadgum quarterback. There's the facts.

Remember Dane's words about Dak: "Prescott has the arm strength and running ability that translate to the next level."
About Rush: " Rush is experienced in a pro-style, under-center offense and displays the leadership traits that will fit in a NFL locker room, but his mechanical movements and underwhelming arm talent limits his NFL ceiling."

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
When deciding who to start in week 10 of 2016, you have to weigh those considerations. Garrett let the inmates run the asylum so they stayed with Dak. It's B.S. to say that the job was Dak's. He certainly played well enough to retain against a normal veteran, but he didn't measure up to what a healthy Tony (which he was at that point) brings to the table. He was drafted as a QB project and he played way better than expected, but the ride had to end at some point. It should have ended week 10. If you want to move on from Romo after that point so he can take the CBS job, so be it, but they really should have gone back to Tony in 2016.
I was in favor of putting Romo when he was physically able to. But Dak and the team kept rolling and the decision to keep Dak in didn't bother me one bit. Unlike some fans here, I couldn't possibly careless to assume I know more than the staff at decisions we all do NOT have all of the information. You can call it BS, but I think that's more assumptions.
No one knows Romo could even take another hit. Some that Dak took made me question if Romo could survive that.
What we do know is the staff decided to keep the future prospect in to gain valuable playing time. 13-3 is no joke. There's also nothing guaranteeing Romo could do better other than the knuckleheads who insist on comparing a 10+ vet to a 2 year project.
Also, Romo himself held a PC stating he knew his role was changing and he supported Dak. He also retired the next season so the notion that he was fit and good to go is 100% speculation, otherwise Romo wouldn't have retired. The competitor he is wouldn't allow it. He knew more than anyone he was done.
He even said himself that the last back injury he suffered felt different and he knew it was about time.

It's just too bad more fans can't just accept that and move on.

Cap12

Reaction score
I was in favor of putting Romo when he was physically able to. But Dak and the team kept rolling and the decision to keep Dak in didn't bother me one bit. Unlike some fans here, I couldn't possibly careless to assume I know more than the staff at decisions we all do NOT have all of the information. You can call it BS, but I think that's more assumptions.
No one knows Romo could even take another hit. Some that Dak took made me question if Romo could survive that.
What we do know is the staff decided to keep the future prospect in to gain valuable playing time. 13-3 is no joke. There's also nothing guaranteeing Romo could do better other than the knuckleheads who insist on comparing a 10+ vet to a 2 year project.
Also, Romo himself held a PC stating he knew his role was changing and he supported Dak. He also retired the next season so the notion that he was fit and good to go is 100% speculation, otherwise Romo wouldn't have retired. The competitor he is wouldn't allow it. He knew more than anyone he was done.
He even said himself that the last back injury he suffered felt different and he knew it was about time.

I don't want to sound callous to Tony and his family but a football standpoint, who cares if he couldn't take another hit? From a football standpoint:

1. He was healthy.
2. He was able to play
3. He was willing to play
4. He was under contract
5. He played at a higher level due to experience and arm talent (both greatly exceeded Dak's).

These are the only factors that should matter. You put the best players on the field that give you the best chance to win. They did not do that in this case.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I don't want to sound callous to Tony and his family but a football standpoint, who cares if he couldn't take another hit? From a football standpoint:

1. He was healthy.
2. He was able to play
3. He was willing to play
4. He was under contract
5. He played at a higher level due to experience and arm talent (both greatly exceeded Dak's).

These are the only factors that should matter. You put the best players on the field that give you the best chance to win. They did not do that in this case.
If he was healthy and able to play at a high level he wouldn't have bowed out and retired.

Cap12

Reaction score
If he was healthy and able to play at a high level he wouldn't have bowed out and retired.
From what I understand, that's not the case. CBS had been wanting to move on from Phil Simms from it #1 broadcasting team for some time and Romo was their first choice (and had been talking to him for a couple of years), but were getting impatient. My guess is that even if he had won the Super Bowl or not, Tony was going to take the CBS job in 2017. As far as his health, he was cleared to play be team doctors and he played in the Philly game for a possession (ending his career with a TD pass), so he was healthy enough to play.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
From what I understand, that's not the case. CBS had been wanting to move on from Phil Simms from it #1 broadcasting team for some time and Romo was their first choice (and had been talking to him for a couple of years), but were getting impatient. My guess is that even if he had won the Super Bowl or not, Tony was going to take the CBS job in 2017. As far as his health, he was cleared to play be team doctors and he played in the Philly game for a possession (ending his career with a TD pass), so he was healthy enough to play.
Despite what brain dead Dak slobberers will tell you, he has never said why he retired. Generally he has avoided the question. I believe the closest he actually has come to an answer seems to point towards the CBS job being too good to pass up. But that also is me reading between the lines, I have no idea what the real answer is.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score

He was cleared to play in 2011 against SF with broken ribs and punctured lung.
He was cleared to stay in the game with a herniated disc against Washington in 2013.
He was cleared to come back into the game with transverse fractures against Washington in 2014.
He was cleared to come back and play against Miami and Carolina in 2015.
He was cleared to play with a compression fracture and would have returned to the Seattle game if it weren't a preseason game.

Being cleared to play doesn't mean you should play. Those were all instances of times Romo should not have been playing.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
You're certainly entitled to your guess, but that's not what the staff decided was best for the team. It's not a knock on Romo, it was simply time to hang it up. I was a huge supporter. Even against all of the idiots spewing hatred about Cabo, his backward hat and other dumb suggestions. But it was clear he wasn't the same. That last injury took it's toll. Even Romo admitted it. The only ones saying otherwise are some fans.
What you consider healthy enough isn't exactly reality. Just because Romo played a single drive doesn't mean he was healthy enough.
And again, it was a bigger gamble having a injury riddled player thrown in when all we had left was a 3rd string. Then what?
makes no sense. Eventually you have to weigh the risks vs. reward.
Just like any older veteran with a past of injury. It's always better to let them go sooner than later.

Cap12

Reaction score
He was cleared to stay in the game with a herniated disc against Washington in 2013.
He was cleared to come back into the game with transverse fractures against Washington in 2014.
He was cleared to play with a compression fracture and would have returned to the Seattle game if it weren't a preseason game.

Being cleared to play doesn't mean you should play. Those were all instances of times Romo should not have been playing.
Yeah, maybe he should have took out his crystal ball and said, maybe I shouldn't have played those games.

blindzebra

Reaction score

Wife and young sons factored in as well. He has made 100 mil playing and it is not like working at CBS is close to flipping burgers, so there was no desire to push it for one more contract. His family is set, he can play with his kids, no more having to sleep in a chair because it hurt too bad to lay down. It was time and he knew it. Any sane person gets it. We are talking about a back and another big hit, at the wrong angle, and Tony is in a wheelchair the rest of his life.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Yeah, maybe he should have took out his crystal ball and said, maybe I shouldn't have played those games.
Lol. But he was cleared. Maybe he finally looked at the future and said I shouldn’t play, which is probably a great choice.

blindzebra

Reaction score

Tony tried to stay in with a broken collarbone too.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Wife and young sons factored in as well. He has made 100 mil playing and it is not like working at CBS is close to flipping burgers, so there was no desire to push it for one more contract. His family is set, he can play with his kids, no more having to sleep in a chair because it hurt too bad to lay down. It was time and he knew it. Any sane person gets it. We are talking about a back and another big hit, at the wrong angle, and Tony is in a wheelchair the rest of his life.
Without a doubt, and that should have made his decision to retire WAY easier. He's a great guy, was a great player and it is refreshing to see him move onto the next challenge without seeing him grimace from hits. That was heartbreaking. the way I look at it is not only is he one tough SOB, but very lucky one of the many injuries didn't take him out.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I didn't see Romo in the video. I guess i can watch it for a third time. No stats either.. This is a one sided video on Dak's "issues" or short coming. Being bias, it does show he's slow on reads and puts a lot on the offensive line to hold their blocks until Dak can finally find the open man. When he finally finds the guy he's usually late on his throws.
When he has no issues finding the man he does okay, but this video was about him having issues finding the open man because of slow reads.
Not sure where Romo was in this video, must have been on the bench.

kskboys

Reaction score
Dak is a solid backup right now. I HOPE AND PRAY he develops into more than that because it will save years of frustration for all of us. But so far, he looks every bit like a 4th round pick that nobody wanted in the draft.

Neither guy has an arm. We're the lollipop kids right now. That's just a way of life for Dallas for the time being.

But Montana didn't have an arm either. Neither have a lot of good quarterbacks. However, the decision-making has to be MUCH faster for it to work like that, and Dak just hhhhooooolllldddddsssss the ball forever, then checks it down. Deep over the middle is a minefield for him.

Teams have figured him out. Bracket Beasley, 8 up front, and rush flat so he can't roll out or scramble much. Make him throw to the receivers downfield from the pocket. That is the kryptonite defense for our passing game.

And not long from now, he'll lose his mobility, too. Then what?
You are letting your hate get in the way of accurate analyses. Surprising.