Good film breakdown of Dak

Cap12

Reaction score
Rush has a stronger arm than Dak.

Besides, it's a lot more about when and where you throw it than how hard you throw it.

Joe Montana had a rag arm.
Okay, sorry, this is pretty dumb.

Here is Dane Brugler's take on both players from his 2016 and 2017 "Beast" (which everybody should buy, lol.)

Cooper Rush: Dane ranked 15 out of all QBs and graded him a UFA (Dane Bruglers 2017 Draft Guide Page 9)

SUMMARY: A four-year starter, Rush received only one scholarship offer (Central Michigan) out of high school and finished his career No. 2 in MAC history with 12,894 passing yards, falling just 12 yards shy of the No. 1 spot. After setting career-bests as a junior, his production took a step back as a senior with 59.8% completions and a career-high 16 interceptions. Rush, who graduated with a degree in actuarial science (May 2016), processes action quickly with a high football aptitude and the preparation to identify coverages and tendencies. He checks boxes with his size and toughness, but his arm strength is below average with a bad habit of delivering off-balance. Overall, Rush is experienced in a pro-style, under-center offense and displays the leadership traits that will fit in a NFL locker room, but his mechanical movements and underwhelming arm talent limits his NFL ceiling – intangibles and intelligence might be enough to earn a roster spot as a No. 3.

Dak Prescott Dane Ranked 6th and Graded a 4-5 Rounder (Dane Bruglers 2016 Draft Guide Page 6)

SUMMARY: A three-year starter in Mississippi State’s spread scheme, Prescott received more Heisman attention as a junior in 2014, but he developed from a thrower into a more natural passer in 2015, showing improved pocket presence, eye discipline and decision-making. He is the most accomplished and decorated player in school history, finishing third all-time in the SEC in total career offense (11,897 yards). Prescott has the arm strength and running ability that translates to the next level, but his best NFL traits are his poise, veteran presence and leadership skills, coaching up and instructing teammates. Although he has evolved into a more detailed passer, Prescott’s inconsistent pocket awareness and accuracy will likely keep him from becoming a full-time starter in the NFL – projects as a better version of Tim Tebow and has the traits to secure a back-up job in the NFL, capable of spot-starts.

No question who the better QB prospect was and Dak, despite his issues, has exceeded expectations. Rush would have a much tougher road to hoe.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Dak had about 80 yards passing against Philly late in the 3rd quarter, and Dallas was getting stomped. Then, for some reason the Eagles stopped running the football (they were gashing us at will), and played themselves into a loss. And Baltimore and Tampa could barely manage a first down. Their defenses just wilted from having to play the entire game.

I'm tired of seeing Dak under 100 yards passing in the 4th quarter.
So you say he's never had a good game agaisnt a good defense...he tells you that he has and all you do is dismiss those games because of what he did in the 3rd quarter or the 1st 3 quarters?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
His rookie year, the book wasn't out on him until miseason, and the schedule was pretty soft. His play last year was erratic, and he hasn't had a good game against a good defense yet. Bad defenses can't take advantage of Dak's weaknesses, but good ones are flat shutting him down.

Now, it's his turn to adjust. It's the difference between $150 million and career journeyman backup status. We'll find out soon.
I don't buy the whole "book being out on him" thing everyone keeps saying. He has to play better. His bad play seemed to come from things he was doing wrong. Not because teams just gameplanned him so well. Schedule is pretty soft this year too. He's had good games against good defenses. Thankfully, there's only about 2 or 3 good defenses anyway.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Romo was a battered QB by then. That's not in dispute.

But Romo was in an entirely different league than Dak as a quarterback when healthy. Not even comparable.

That's like comparing Staubach to Glenn Carano.
You're comparing one QB's entire career to another QB's 2 seasons. How is that the least bit realistic?

kskboys

Reaction score
I’m actually somebody who liked both QB’s and have no desire to debate Romo vs. Dak. If Romo didn’t have the injury concerns, he would still be the starter. But people can’t go back and revise history to make it seem like Romo missing a huge stretch of games in a row due to injury, over 2 seasons, wasn’t a major factor in his retirement.
Absolutely.

However, I simply stay out of the Romo vs Dak stuff because it's mostly stupid and you're not going to convince anyone of anything. People who just want to talk about the QB all day every day are just not worth conversing w/.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Romo was a battered QB by then. That's not in dispute.

But Romo was in an entirely different league than Dak as a quarterback when healthy. Not even comparable.

That's like comparing Staubach to Glenn Carano.
So a 10+ year veteran was a better qb than a rookie? No way

kskboys

Reaction score
Rush has a stronger arm than Dak.

Besides, it's a lot more about when and where you throw it than how hard you throw it.

Joe Montana had a rag arm.
No he doesn't. Cooper has no arm at all.

Seriously, BigE, this is just silly. Cooper is not NFL material. Dak might be, unknown at this point.

Joe Montana had a Tom Brady type arm. It was Ok. Not a rag arm at all.

Of course it's about when and where you throw it. That is not up for dispute. However, a QB must have a minimum of zip on the ball. Cooper simply doesn't.

Rush a better arm than Dak. Geez, never thought I'd see this sort of stuff from you, BigE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Whenever someone throws out things like "Rush has a stronger arm" there's an emotional biased against Dak that hasn't gone away since Romo was here.
That's all it is.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Romo was replaced because he couldn't stay on the field. The idea that he "would have" or "could have" done better in 2016 is speculation. The staff collectively kept Prescott in for a reason. If there is any comparison between the two the only thing we have is their first 2 seasons. It's time to let go of the fact Romo chose to retire. He was beat up and couldn't take hits. Yet some fans will not let it rest. Time to move on.

The most likely reason why the staff continued to roll with Dak are below:

• After Romo's injury was healed, it took him several weeks just to get his core strength to practice again
  • When he could practice, he still wasn't dressed and told the sideline reporter he's healthy but the doctors were not sure his back could sustain a hit
  • The team was playing well with Dak
It appears to me that the Cowboys were not going to risk putting Romo back out there. They wouldn't even risk playing him against Detroit and debated playing him against Philly but let him have 1 drive. The team should have played him both of those games to knock any rust off considering how bad he played coming back from injury in 2015. One drive wasn't near enough time but the Cowboys risked having rust rather than exposing Romo in weeks 16 and 17.

If Romo was healthy and had confidence his body could still withstand the physicality of the game, he would be playing in 2017, but he decided enough was enough. He could still come back and play at this point sitting out an entire year, but I think he knows the core of his body was shot from an NFL perspective and he needs to focus on being healthy while growing old.

kskboys

Reaction score
Whenever someone throws out things like "Rush has a stronger arm" there's an emotional biased against Dak that hasn't gone away since Romo was here.
That's all it is.
And it's not even close, not even up for argument. On a scale of 1-10, Dak's arm strength is about a 7. Rush is like a 2.

I seriously cannot even believe that I read that on here.

kskboys

Reaction score
The most likely reason why the staff continued to roll with Dak are below:

• After Romo's injury was healed, it took him several weeks just to get his core strength to practice again
  • When he could practice, he still wasn't dressed and told the sideline reporter he's healthy but the doctors were not sure his back could sustain a hit
  • The team was playing well with Dak
It appears to me that the Cowboys were not going to risk putting Romo back out there. They wouldn't even risk playing him against Detroit and debated playing him against Philly but let him have 1 drive. The team should have played him both of those games to knock any rust off considering how bad he played coming back from injury in 2015. One drive wasn't near enough time but the Cowboys risked having rust rather than exposing Romo in weeks 16 and 17.

If Romo was healthy and had confidence his body could still withstand the physicality of the game, he would be playing in 2017, but he decided enough was enough. He could still come back and play at this point sitting out an entire year, but I think he knows the core of his body was shot from an NFL perspective and he needs to focus on being healthy while growing old.
I was torn myself on that subject, and there really was no right answer. I was fine w/ them staying w/ the future in a young QB who was playing well.

erod

Reaction score
No he doesn't. Cooper has no arm at all.

Seriously, BigE, this is just silly. Cooper is not NFL material. Dak might be, unknown at this point.

Joe Montana had a Tom Brady type arm. It was Ok. Not a rag arm at all.

Of course it's about when and where you throw it. That is not up for dispute. However, a QB must have a minimum of zip on the ball. Cooper simply doesn't.

Rush a better arm than Dak. Geez, never thought I'd see this sort of stuff from you, BigE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The arm strength difference is negligible between these two.

I'm not arguing that he's the next Romo. Our next elite QB, I fear, is a sophomore in high school right now.

kskboys

Reaction score
The arm strength difference is negligible between these two.

I'm not arguing that he's the next Romo. Our next elite QB, I fear, is a sophomore in high school right now.
No, it's not. If Rush has Dak's arm, he'd be an instant starter. Rush knows exactly what to do, he simply doesn't possess the talent to do it. His arm reminds me of Ken Dorsey, a heady guy who just didn't have the arm.

C'mon, E, I know you don't think much of Dak, and that's fine, but misreporting is not your gig. Go watch some tape of Rush, and pay attention to his "lollipop arm"(not my words), not whether the catch is made. Those loopers absolutely will not work during the regular season.

erod

Reaction score
No, it's not. If Rush has Dak's arm, he'd be an instant starter. Rush knows exactly what to do, he simply doesn't possess the talent to do it. His arm reminds me of Ken Dorsey, a heady guy who just didn't have the arm.

C'mon, E, I know you don't think much of Dak, and that's fine, but misreporting is not your gig. Go watch some tape of Rush, and pay attention to his "lollipop arm"(not my words), not whether the catch is made. Those loopers absolutely will not work during the regular season.

Dak has a noodle. His passes look like end-over-end kickoffs half the time.

kskboys

Reaction score
Dak has a noodle. His passes look like end-over-end kickoffs half the time.
E, your hate is getting in the way of evaluation causing you to misrepresent facts. Even saying his arm strength is the same as Rush is simply silly. And I know you know this, so I'm guessing you're simply saying it for effect, or to kickstart a discussion. That's my best guess.

erod

Reaction score
E, your hate is getting in the way of evaluation causing you to misrepresent facts. Even saying his arm strength is the same as Rush is simply silly. And I know you know this, so I'm guessing you're simply saying it for effect, or to kickstart a discussion. That's my best guess.

Dak is a solid backup right now. I HOPE AND PRAY he develops into more than that because it will save years of frustration for all of us. But so far, he looks every bit like a 4th round pick that nobody wanted in the draft.

Neither guy has an arm. We're the lollipop kids right now. That's just a way of life for Dallas for the time being.

But Montana didn't have an arm either. Neither have a lot of good quarterbacks. However, the decision-making has to be MUCH faster for it to work like that, and Dak just hhhhooooolllldddddsssss the ball forever, then checks it down. Deep over the middle is a minefield for him.

Teams have figured him out. Bracket Beasley, 8 up front, and rush flat so he can't roll out or scramble much. Make him throw to the receivers downfield from the pocket. That is the kryptonite defense for our passing game.

And not long from now, he'll lose his mobility, too. Then what?