Goodell a great Commish for the times

Rayman70

Reaction score
He had Elliott's help in doing that.

Once this went public and the investigation launched, what would you have advised Elliott to do? The media had this story by the tail and his background about his father moving to Columbus and his rep as a party boy became national news because this is the Cowboys.

Back to my question. Would you have advised him to go to that parade and get himself videoed disrespecting a woman in public? That happens without the investigation going on, that's page 6 stuff but that wasn't the case and it was page 1. Now this had moved into the most precarious court for the NFL, the one of public opinion.

So, Elliott pulling that dumb stunt, does that make people less or more likely to think he could have committed DV? He's not even taking the investigation seriously and this is the guy that announced he was going pro after losing to MI and he was pissed because he wasn't featured more. He's privileged in their minds.

And then there's that panel with their unanimous recommendation, is Goodell just to sweep that aside and suffer the wrath of the movement he just got a little taste of with Rice? He let's Elliott skate and it's open season on him and the NFL.

Goodell helped put himself in that situation with the handling of the Rice incident but Elliott did his part to help force Goodell into that decision because I said it at the time, that parade incident removed the benefit of the doubt with a lot of the public but completely with women. It was exactly the type thing I would expect from a guy that had to have his father move to his college town to get him under some control.
the policy wasnt applied equally. That is the issue I have. Its a farce.

Beaker42

Reaction score
He hasn’t destroyed anything. He’s been instrumental in holding it all together.

The league, its owners , the players and their union have diminished the game.

The Commish job is to represent the owners interest and negotiate with the players union.
Yeah, other than the arbitrary and capricious nature of his disciplinary actions/inaction, kowtowing to disgruntled factions and putting fans last, he’s been great.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
dont mind the hammer as long as its equally applied.
There’s always going to be judgement calls. Of course Cowboy fans are going to be more emotional when it involves their Star player.

But in the end, don’t place yourself in that 1% and you won’t be subject to the Hammer.

The NFL is a privileged opportunity . Abide and live by the rules adhered or possibilities of losing the privilege. 99% of the players get it.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Yeah, other than the arbitrary and capricious nature of his disciplinary actions/inaction, kowtowing to disgruntled factions and putting fans last, he’s been great.
exactly well said...
iu
how the fans feel..

Diehardblues

Reaction score
On this I can agree. Fans interest are last priority. The interest of the league and its image are the priority.

Again, why risk the image of the 99% who are compliant.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Very NBA model. Push the stars not the game.
What sports doesn't do that? Johnson and Bird saved the NBA and without Jordan, it would have gone the way it was prior to that. Only fans of the teams care about the teams.

I can remember not being a fan of the teams but I did tune into watch Sandy Koufax, Vida Blue, Fernando Valenzuela and Randy Johnson pitch.

Every sport is all about the stars that drive them. Think the Cowboys of the 70's would have been that without Staubach?

Rayman70

Reaction score
On this I can agree. Fans interest are last priority. The interest of the league and its image are the priority.

Again, why risk the image of the 99% who are compliant.
eventually what you guys said will bite the league on the arse. Fans need to be of the highest priority IMO.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yep

Just like I’ve always argued about the Cowboys. If you want to voice an objection or rebel to how the team or in this case how the league is run, hit them where it hurts. In their back pocket.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I cannot recall his name but how that situation was handled with the P or K for the Giants when there was no question of spousal abuse was really questionable. That caused me to question Mara's influence with the league office. And I still question it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
eventually what you guys said will bite the league on the arse. Fans need to be of the highest priority IMO.
I understand . And it’s the balance the league is always weighing. Much like I’ve always argued about the Cowboys.

Until they feel that crunch financially don’t expect them to place fans as top priority. Because we are still providing them a seal of approval. Regardless if we complain all the way to the bank or TV remote.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I cannot recall his name but how that situation was handled with the P or K for the Giants when there was no question of spousal abuse was really questionable. That caused me to question Mara's influence with the league office. And I still question it.
remember when OBJ was on video doing dope? HARDCORE DOPE TOO. ALSO hookers. He was bragging about it on tape. What did Roger do? lmao..absolutely NOTHING. I am pretty dang sure OBJ broke the same code of conduct that Zeke supposedly did. Unless the code of conduct allows for coke and hookers I AM PRETTY SURE he broke rules and even laws. Why was Zeke handled the way it was and OBJ ignored?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
And for Garrett, that’s on our ownership for him being around so long. And in the end when it was blatantly obvious to almost everyone he needed to go , even those who supported Garrett, Jethro still held on to the end looking for a way to retain him.

I've seen other posters tell you this and the sheer number of comments that don't support your thinking should tell you to give this idiotic idea of yours up. There's been everything from pics making fun of you over your comments to others asking how much goodell is paying you to me who now has had 2 comments mysteriously disappear spelling out why goodell isn't and hasn't been good and is not a lock for the HOF like you think he is. I admitted that he did a really good job handling all the problems of this season, but that in no way outweighs all the bad he's done. Because of things he has done or didn't do there has been a decline in NFL viewership for the last 3 years. Numbers actually started going down ever sine the kaepernick fiasco and that is something he could have handled that wouldn't have started the decline. goodell isn't the saint you're trying to paint him as and most people know this.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Considering how the Rice thing blew up on him once that video surfaced and that panel of 4 voted unanimously for suspension, what was he to do, ignore them?

And let's factor in Elliott's behavior with the girl's shirt at the St. Patty's Day parade while the investigation is going on. That hit the news and immediately the court of public opinion was moved against him.

I agree, that whole ordeal was a chronic he said/she said mess and she had damaged credibility but with Elliott's public actions and that panel voting to convict, Goodell had little choice. He was the guy that went easy on Rice and that video sent shock waves throughout all sports. And the whole MeToo movement was just starting up. He could piss off the Cowboys owner and fans or he could piss off a lot more people and eventually, the owners. Booger overestimated his clout with the owners, he is not the dog, he is just a tail.

It's ironic that in a thread devoted to how great this guy is supposed to be we have to get this apologetic about how he had to do something wrong because of peer pressure. In my opinion, great men stand up against the stupidity of the mob. They do the hard thing because it's the right thing.

Of course, that kowtowing is in part what's driving Greg's praise.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
remember when OBJ was on video doing dope? HARDCORE DOPE TOO. ALSO hookers. He was bragging about it on tape. What did Roger do? lmao..absolutely NOTHING. I am pretty dang sure OBJ broke the same code of conduct that Zeke supposedly did. Unless the code of conduct allows for coke and hookers I AM PRETTY SURE he broke rules and even laws. Why was Zeke handled the way it was and OBJ ignored?
But if RG would have done anything, he would have missed out on his thanksgiving dinner.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I've seen other posters tell you this and the sheer number of comments that don't support your thinking should tell you to give this idiotic idea of yours up. There's been everything from pics making fun of you over your comments to others asking how much goodell is paying you to me who now has had 2 comments mysteriously disappear spelling out why goodell isn't and hasn't been good and is not a lock for the HOF like you think he is. I admitted that he did a really good job handling all the problems of this season, but that in no way outweighs all the bad he's done. Because of things he has done or didn't do there has been a decline in NFL viewership for the last 3 years. Numbers actually started going down ever sine the kaepernick fiasco and that is something he could have handled that wouldn't have started the decline. goodell isn't the saint you're trying to paint him as and most people know this.
You’ve obviously misinterpreted my stance if you believe I’ve argued Goodell is a Saint. I’ve even said he’s a Buffer for the mob ( the owners). That doesn’t come across as Saint like to me .

Rayman70

Reaction score
But if RG would have done anything, he would have missed out on his thanksgiving dinner.
Roger has always dealt with the MARA family with kid gloves..ie the GIANTS. and WITH Jerry he brings down the iron fist. People that fail to see that have to be complicit or blind.