Goodell a great Commish for the times

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'll use your own analogy against you. You're trying to say because of the job he did this season the emotions of this will fall and then there's only all the crap he did prior to this season. Like I said the sheer number of users who not only don't share your opinion, but think the complete opposite should tell you that you just might be wrong on this. As far as the HOF there are players every year that the fans AND sporting world say they can't understand why they didn't make it and many if not most of those don't have the baggage that goodell is carrying.
Actually there’s only a few here who don’t agree. Its one of those Lynch Mob issues that even he laughs on when booed.

As usual on controversial issues most don’t want to place themselves in arms way. It’s a position especially when I feel so strongly about I rather enjoy taking it on. Because I feel I’m on the right side of history. Time will tell.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
What sports doesn't do that? Johnson and Bird saved the NBA and without Jordan, it would have gone the way it was prior to that. Only fans of the teams care about the teams.

I can remember not being a fan of the teams but I did tune into watch Sandy Koufax, Vida Blue, Fernando Valenzuela and Randy Johnson pitch.

Every sport is all about the stars that drive them. Think the Cowboys of the 70's would have been that without Staubach?

If you can’t see the difference in what the NBA is like and the rest of the leagues you are not looking.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Steroids weren't illegal?

Tiger Woods had his image tarnished, not the PGA. Again, people just don't care about this stuff as much as you think. Michael Irvin is still talking football on TV. Ray Lewis is an inspirational figure to many. Tyreek Hill is one of the most coveted receivers in the league. Charles Haley is a Hall of Famer. The list goes on and on.
I was referring to pot not steroids.

The everyday fans may not be as concerned about their image but the league is cause of the Networks and their Sponsors. There’s also concern from Civic unrest and their protection from Congress for non profitable status . As always follow the money trail.

Can you think of any other reason the league would have implemented such a Personal Conduct Policy? Cause I don’t think they did cause they were worried about some Thugs playing football for them if they are helping them win.

Haimerej

Reaction score
I was referring to pot not steroids.

I know. Your contention was that pot being illegal made it different than steroids. That's why I pointed out steroids were illegal, too.

The everyday fans may not be as concerned about their image but the league is cause of the Networks and their Sponsors. There’s also concern from Civic unrest and their protection from Congress for non profitable status . As always follow the money trail.

How many sponsors have they lost?

Can you think of any other reason the league would have implemented such a Personal Conduct Policy? Cause I don’t think they did cause they were worried about some Thugs playing football for them if they are helping them win.

Same reason any company has that kind of policy. My issue isn't with the policy. I was referring to the example CC brought up and the assertion that the decision was correct.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
If that 100B TV/Streaming deal happens, he's the greatest one of all time, in any sport. There is not 1 of those 32 owners that cares what any of us think of the Commissioner and the job he's doing; they only care about the job he's doing for them. He is not the steward of the game, he is the facilitator of the cash flow. His compensation is tied directly to how much they make, not how many players he disciplines.

First off those deals for Streaming thus far are only speculation that they are being considered. There are also reports that spell out that the major networks, FOX, CBS, NBC will always carry the games because the league knows that all but 1 game a week can be seen for free as long as the viewer has an antenna and they are not about to put the viewers in a position to have to pay money just to watch the hugely vast majority of NFL games. Yes many people have cable or a dish, but those companies have their squabbles with the local channels and have been at least temporarily dropped from their service until they anti up their pay. Personally I don't agree with that. I don't think cable or dish companies should get paid when a person can get that local channel for free with an antenna. The NFL has seen a drop in viewers and they won't put themselves in a position that will drive away more fans. Now the league may allow the parent companies that own those steaming companies, which are FOX, CBS and NBC to stream the games on the streaming companies but they also have to air the games on FOX,CBS and NBC too like they did during the playoffs with Nick. Now no matter what TV contracts get done, that does in no way determine if goodell is a good commissioner or not. His consistency on handing out punishment has been EXTREMELY poor.

You are right that if goodell comes through with big TV contracts the owners will be happy as long as the viewership also rises and not continues to drop. If viewership doesn't turn around companies that advertise on those networks will use their money advertising on other programing. I don't think anyone knows for sure but I'm willing to bet that there are some clauses on those contracts that state if the number of viewers drops below some number the contracts are then voidable. For the amount of money the networks will be paying they're going to want some kind of protection if the worst happens. The reason that I say this is because when the XFL first started both networks that aired those games had a clause that they could be voided if numbers drop to some point. They did and when the networks decided to void those contracts the XFL then folded because they couldn't survive on what they may get on live ticket sales.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep

As always , follow the money trail. Goodell is there to protect their interest which involves protecting the shields image.

Which involves disciplining some naughty boys regardless if they actually did it or not. The fact they might have done it is enough to tarnish the image.
That's what some refuse to accept, they want justice. In a court of law, Elliott probably walks because of the credibility of the one charging him.

But in the court of public opinion, different story. I consider a discussion behind the scene with several of the owners, not named Booger. During this discussion, the backlash over the Rice handling gets coupled with the growing MeToo movement and the mention of the "b" word, boycott, comes up with their sponsors with the blaming of falling business from Papa John's still fresh.

With what Goodell and the NFL were facing, Elliott was just a nuisance.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I know. Your contention was that pot being illegal made it different than steroids. That's why I pointed out steroids were illegal, too.

How many sponsors have they lost?

Same reason any company has that kind of policy. My issue isn't with the policy. I was referring to the example CC brought up and the assertion that the decision was correct.
I didn’t realize back then taking steroids was illegal?

I couldn’t speak on what if any Sponsors lost. I imagine few since since they took action. My point is why else would they implement such a policy if not for those concerns?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The bottomline is it was illegal . That still means something to many of us.

I’m sure there were many others who were smoking it. Tom may have known. But they weren’t caught or didn’t come out publicly about it. When you’re in a publicity type position it matters.

Look what happened to Tiger. His image was destroyed . All he did was cheat on his wife and run into a tree. And he lost most of his sponsors. The league doesn’t want that type of fallout league wide. The image translates to revenue.
LMAO, calling what Tiger Woods did just cheating on his wife is like saying the Titanic was just a boat. The man got his photo in the dictionary next to philanderer.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

I couldn’t speak on what if any Sponsors lost. I imagine few since since they took action. My point is why else would they implement such a policy if not for those concerns?
lol

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you can’t see the difference in what the NBA is like and the rest of the leagues you are not looking.
I haven't followed the NBA in years and haven't missed it even a little. I really only follow college and professional football now and I lean heavier on the college side.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Actually there’s only a few here who don’t agree. Its one of those Lynch Mob issues that even he laughs on when booed.

As usual on controversial issues most don’t want to place themselves in arms way. It’s a position especially when I feel so strongly about I rather enjoy taking it on. Because I feel I’m on the right side of history. Time will tell.

When first came on this thread there were like 11 comments on the first page, 8 on the 2nd page, 10 on the 3rd page and I'm not going to go through all 14 pages where they disagreed with you. There's a heck of a lot more than just a few. I made my point.

kskboys

Reaction score
Steroids weren't illegal?

Tiger Woods had his image tarnished, not the PGA. Again, people just don't care about this stuff as much as you think. Michael Irvin is still talking football on TV. Ray Lewis is an inspirational figure to many. Tyreek Hill is one of the most coveted receivers in the league. Charles Haley is a Hall of Famer. The list goes on and on.
Steroids became illegal in 2004. So no, they weren't illegal at the time.

kskboys

Reaction score
When first came on this thread there were like 11 comments on the first page, 8 on the 2nd page, 10 on the 3rd page and I'm not going to go through all 14 pages where they disagreed with you. There's a heck of a lot more than just a few. I made my point.
I know, but it just doesn't make sense. Gooddell is so obviously just what he is, a mob enforcer. Hating him means people have been brainwashed. And they are not letting go of it!!!!!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
LMAO, calling what Tiger Woods did just cheating on his wife is like saying the Titanic was just a boat. The man got his photo in the dictionary next to philanderer.
The level of his fandom drove the publicity. Much like with all of these naught boys. Nobody cares if it’s a guy on the bench. Teams just release them . It’s 6th page news.

And that’s the biggest fear of the league now after the Rice debacle. Being lenient and then video coming out. Video in this era is like a death sentence.

Haimerej

Reaction score

I guess they weren't. I mistook the ban in the 60's for the Olympics as more than it was.

But doesn't that reveal the bankruptcy of the stand against pot?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get it. But honestly, how "tarnished," was the shield? We don't have to go far to find some true rat bast***s who are still being honored. People watch sports because they enjoy them. It's a shame we can't delve into those, "social issues," Greg alluded to on here, because the evidence suggests delving into that realm has harmed the league more than any criminal player ever has.
Agree, it is just assumed that pro football players are going to be a little "gamey" and wired differently.

Sports are an outlet, an escapism from the real world. I was never in favor of the drug testing for recreational stuff, PED's? Yep, because that's cheating. I am from that Jimmy Johnson camp, just don't let me know so I have to do something about it. Show up to work.

We hold people to a higher standard based on how much money they make. A 35M QB should be a better boy scout than a 5M one. It is a privilege to play in the NFL, not a right. You are all role models, you must be responsible ones.

They're just people that have different jobs that we do and we like watching them do them. I watch the kid at the supermarket bag my groceries but only when I am there and they are mine. I wouldn't pay to go into the store and watch him bag.

I look at athletes as I do actors and musicians, I do not care about their private lives, only what they provide to me in the way of entertainment. And I only care about that at the time they are providing that. If I find out they're a standup person, bonus but that is not necessary.

Maybe that's wrong but I am honest about it, I just don't care.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Agree, it is just assumed that pro football players are going to be a little "gamey" and wired differently.

Sports are an outlet, an escapism from the real world. I was never in favor of the drug testing for recreational stuff, PED's? Yep, because that's cheating. I am from that Jimmy Johnson camp, just don't let me know so I have to do something about it. Show up to work.

We hold people to a higher standard based on how much money they make. A 35M QB should be a better boy scout than a 5M one. It is a privilege to play in the NFL, not a right. You are all role models, you must be responsible ones.

They're just people that have different jobs that we do and we like watching them do them. I watch the kid at the supermarket bag my groceries but only when I am there and they are mine. I wouldn't pay to go into the store and watch him bag.

I look at athletes as I do actors and musicians, I do not care about their private lives, only what they provide to me in the way of entertainment. And I only care about that at the time they are providing that. If I find out they're a standup person, bonus but that is not necessary.

Maybe that's wrong but I am honest about it, I just don't care.
One of your best posts ever... 5 stars

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I know, but it just doesn't make sense. Gooddell is so obviously just what he is, a mob enforcer. Hating him means people have been brainwashed. And they are not letting go of it!!!!!

So everything you personally don't like you've been brainwashed to think that? I don't like goodell not that I'm brainwashed, but because of what I personally think about what he has done and what he hasn't done. Brainwashing has less than zero to do with it.