Goose: Cowboys would have picked this prospect in a heartbeat

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How did Cowboys do in the draft?

Will Chambers: What are your thoughts when you see what the Cowboys did getting Taco Charlton in the first round, going cornerback-heavy next few rounds? What did you think of what the Cowboys did [in the draft]?

Rick Gosselin: That was the strategy going in. They had to get a pass rusher at 28. The best pass rusher on the board was going to be a Cowboy. I knew that. And then they were going to draft secondary.

You can't rush the passer, you can't compete for championships in this league. They had to upgrade the pass rush to do that. And if you have a good pass rush you can get by with average corners. If you have great corners and no pass rush then they become average corners.

The pass rush is where it all starts. Matter of fact, the offensive and defensive lines is where you win in this league. The Cowboys had to fix the pass rush. They did that with Charlton.

-

Best player comparison for Taco is...?

Jean-Jacques Taylor: Who is a good comp for Taco Charlton?

Rick Gosselin: The knock on him is the lack of speed, but he's got size. There's a guy in the 90s, the Bengals drafted him, named Reinard Wilson out of Florida State. Very strong player, good pass rusher without a whole lotta speed. He's the one who jumps out at me.

It's tough. Usually these weakside guys are 6-5, 255-260. He's much bigger than that, and that gives him position versatility. He can play on the left side as well as the right. It's tough because, again, he's not a burner.

But you gotta understand he was the 28th pick of this draft. If this guy was his size and ran a 4.5 [40-yard dash], he'd been in the top five picks. But he's not a 4.5 guy. It's tough to get a comp on that.

-

Did Dallas miss on any prospect they really wanted?

Will Chambers: Do you think that the Cowboys had moments throughout this draft where they didn't get the player they wanted because somebody else got taken maybe by somebody in the division or just somebody in front of them?

Rick Gosselin: I think they woulda loved to have Charles Harris, the Missouri end who went at 21. That's a guy I thought they had a chance at getting. I think they woulda snapped him up in a second. He's a little faster foot than Charlton. Again, they were going to take the best pass rusher that was left.

They thought that T.J. Watt was more of a 3-4 linebacker. That's the way that it played out. Pittsburgh took him [as a] pass rusher off the linebacker spot. I think they woulda liked to had him.

I think [with] Switzer it came down to Donnel Pumphrey who the Eagles took right before them. They may have taken Pumphrey. He led the nation in rushing.

I think they're pretty happy with their draft. I think they never in their wildest dreams thought they were going to get Jourdan Lewis in the third round. And Xavier Woods, they were talking about him in the fourth round [and] then get him in the sixth. I think it worked pretty well.

Marquez White: here's a guy who started at Florida State [and] played in a national title game. I think that was a real good late-round pick. The other thing I liked about it they took those two defensive tackles. If you're going to miss late, miss with size. These are two big guys that can fit in Marinelli's rotation.

I think by and large they were quite happy with their picks. I don't think there was any, 'Woe is us. We couldn't get the guy we wanted.' Except for Charles Harris, I think they like what they got.

https://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/...rospect-heartbeat-best-player-comparison-taco

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rick Gosselin: You can't rush the passer, you can't compete for championships in this league. They had to upgrade the pass rush to do that. And if you have a good pass rush you can get by with average corners. If you have great corners and no pass rush then they become average corners.

The pass rush is where it all starts. Matter of fact, the offensive and defensive lines is where you win in this league. The Cowboys had to fix the pass rush. They did that with Charlton.

Bathe in it, boys.

Remember to get behind the ears, Winicki.

Beats_By_Zeke

Reaction score
So does Lewis still have a questionable future baring what Goodell does, or is it all smooth sailing from here?

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Mcclay basically said as much in the interview on the Break last week. He said they would have taken a little less from a player standpoint for that speed rusher, but didn't get the chance. Or something like that.

Dwight

Reaction score
You can't rush the passer, you can't compete for championships in this league. They had to upgrade the pass rush to do that. And if you have a good pass rush you can get by with average corners. If you have great corners and no pass rush then they become average corners.

https://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/...rospect-heartbeat-best-player-comparison-taco

Thank you Rick. It starts with the trenches (both oline and dline).

If there is no pass rush your team has a problem. I can't understand how fans value cornerbacks over a pass rush.

It's sickening.

Verdict

Reaction score
I keep hearing on this board that Taco is fast. Goose seems to think he's not. I am not a Goose fan, but i have to side with him on this one.

Beats_By_Zeke

Reaction score
I keep hearing on this board that Taco is fast. Goose seems to think he's not. I am not a Goose fan, but i have to side with him on this one.
I read it as, Taco is fast but no top 10 fast. Still an explosive end but not a Clowney type end.

Plankton

Reaction score
Goose's comp was flat out stupid. Reinard Wilson and Taco Charlton are completely different football players in terms of size and style. Wilson was 6'2", 270, a ROLB in the 3-4 for the majority of his career, and was a speed rusher. Charlton is 6'6", 280 or so, and not in any way a speed guy off the edge. You couldn't find two more completely different players.

And, Wilson got a 4 on the Wonderlic.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If there is no pass rush your team has a problem. I can't understand how fans value cornerbacks over a pass rush.

It's sickening.

Nobody values secondary over the front. The reality is, though, football comes down to the QB v the entire defense. You can't be weak anywhere, because the ball comes out now a lot of times before you can even physically get to the QB.

If you have a weakness defensively in any packages, OCs will figure out how to exploit it. The trenches stuff sounds good, just like "defense wins championships" does, but it's inaccurate and an oversimplification.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Goose's comp was flat out stupid. Reinard Wilson and Taco Charlton are completely different football players in terms of size and style. Wilson was 6'2", 270, a ROLB in the 3-4 for the majority of his career, and was a speed rusher. Charlton is 6'6", 280 or so, and not in any way a speed guy off the edge. You couldn't find two more completely different players.

And, Wilson got a 4 on the Wonderlic.

There one goes...a good bath!:)

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Nobody values secondary over the front. The reality is, though, football comes down to the QB v the entire defense. You can't be weak anywhere, because the ball comes out now a lot of times before you can even physically get to the QB.

If you have a weakness defensively in any packages, OCs will figure out how to exploit it. The trenches stuff sounds good, just like "defense wins championships" does, but it's inaccurate and an oversimplification.
Yea people with agendas can't understand something so simple. If you watch our games from last year, especially Washington, they did more short passing than 5 step drops so I don't get the secondary doesn't matter folks

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Yeah i agree with Rick.

I have yet to see an elite defense without a good front. As a DC, I would to let the other team have to rely on constant 3 step drops because they are facing the threat of a pass rush. Make their passing game one dimensional and limit big plays and increase the chance of a mistake.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Goose" is a moron.

Back in the day he would take info from NFL people that he knew. Franchises had an incentive to be nice to him if they wanted their ex-players to have a chance at the hall of fame (He has a vote and influence).

He never studied the players himself.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Marquez White: here's a guy who started at Florida State [and] played in a national title game. I think that was a real good late-round pick.

I do hope White makes us keep 6 CBs. If some are saying this is the best DB class in a decade, I would rather keep all the ones we drafted, and that includes White.

I also expect some UDFA DBs to make teams around the league.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score

I still don't understand why people don't understand this, just like in offense, a defense needs balance. You need pass rush and coverage, not just one of them, you need both to have a great D.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Goose draws plenty of flak around here, largely because he's so opinionated and there's are always skeptical souls that abound whenever that's the case. I'm surely not under the impression that he's always correct in his opinions but I believe he hit the nail on the head here. Charlton isn't really speedy, although he makes up for it with size, strength and a relentless mindset that makes up for any speed that he lacks. Also, there's nothing wrong with looking forward to seeing what he can do to boost a pass rush that has previously been anemic. I think he'll succeed in his efforts.

Last edited:

waving monkey

Reaction score

It's sickening.
it's sickening ?