Goose: Cowboys would have picked this prospect in a heartbeat

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Taco had better 3-cone and short shuttle times than Harris. Their 10-yard times were similar.

Taco outweighed him by 24 pounds.

I'd be willing to bet Harris would win in a man-to-man race. Be that as it may, I'm pulling for Taco to soon bask in the light of his glory anyway!

As long as Taco has what it takes to register an occasional sack from time to time, I won't question his abilities. Consider that a promise. :)

Last edited:

RS12

Reaction score
Well, that'd be Jerry Jones. I've never thought of him as the Divine Savior, unless I've really missed my guess. lol ;)
Who thinks that? When he had all the ex presidents in his box at the game that time, tells me he has the contacts to pick up the phone and find out just about anything he wants to know. Cant deny he is well connected.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Who thinks that? When he had all the ex presidents in his box at the game that time, tells me he has the contacts to pick up the phone and find out just about anything he wants to know. Cant deny he is well connected.

Something tells me God would be a much better GM. Just a guess on my part -- he's never wrong, you know. Besides, he doesn't even need a phone.

Verdict

Reaction score
"Goose" is a moron.

Back in the day he would take info from NFL people that he knew. Franchises had an incentive to be nice to him if they wanted their ex-players to have a chance at the hall of fame (He has a vote and influence).

He never studied the players himself.

That may be accurate. But are you telling me Taco has blazing speed? Taco may turn out to be a very good player but it won't be because he is fast, X.

I don't care what the company line is. I think the draftedhim to play the left end. He can excel there. Will they give him a chance to win the right side? Yeah, of course they will. If he can play the right side effectively it is a win for the Cowboys.

As it stands right now I think Tapper is out best chance of having a really good DE and second best bets are Mayowa/Lawrence. My guess is Mayowa would be more likely than Lawrence.

Lawrence and Taco will be battling for the left end starting position. I think Lawrence will win it if he is healthy so that we can get a comp pick out of him when he leaves after this season.

Verdict

Reaction score
Goose draws plenty of flak around here, largely because he's so opinionated and there's are always skeptical souls that abound whenever that's the case. I'm surely not under the impression that he's always correct in his opinions but I believe he hit the nail on the head here. Charlton isn't really speedy, although he makes up for it with size, strength and a relentless mindset that makes up for any speed that he lacks. Also, there's nothing wrong with looking forward to seeing what he can do to boost a pass rush that has previously been anemic. I think he'll succeed in his efforts.

I'm not even against Taco. I hope he succeeds. But o don't know where everyone is coming up with this he is speedy nonsense. He's not. He doesn't look fast on film either.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
I was pulling for Harris who was all over top 50 draft boards, Taco was pretty consistently rated better albeit pre-draft. It's a toss up for sure, in todays NFL the size factor can trump the speed factor at RDE, the differences in these two picks are minute in the big picture nobody knows which will succeed over the other.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm not even against Taco. I hope he succeeds. But o don't know where everyone is coming up with this he is speedy nonsense. He's not. He doesn't look fast on film either.

I understand completely -- there are guys who run in the 4.8 range, for instance, who aren't wanting in their abilities to sack QBs. They usually make up for it with strength, size and relentless ways that enable that to be so. I'll firmly believe Taco fits that profile until such time as he proves otherwise. I see no cause for skepticism until a rookie like that gets a fair chance to prove himself, even if it takes time for him to develop.

Last edited:

Verdict

Reaction score
I understand completely -- there are guys who run in the 4.8 range, for instance, who aren't wanting in their abilities to sack QBs. They usually make up for it with strength, size and relentless ways that enable that to be. I'll firmly believe Taco fits that profile until such time as he proves otherwise. I see no cause for skepticism until a rookie like that gets a fair chance to prove himself, even if it takes time for him to develop.

That's how I feel about the pick. I'm rooting for him to be a double digit sack guy at right DE. I don't think he can do that. I think his floor is probably a starting quality edge setter on the left side, which isn't a bad deal, really. I think his ceiling isn't all that high as a DE due to lack of speed.

He may have major upside (elite speed) if he puts on 20 lbs and bumps inside.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
That's how I feel about the pick. I'm rooting for him to be a double digit sack guy at right DE. I don't think he can do that. I think his floor is probably a starting quality edge setter on the left side, which isn't a bad deal, really. I think his ceiling isn't all that high as a DE due to lack of speed.

He may have major upside (elite speed) if he puts on 20 lbs and bumps inside.

Understood, although I wouldn't be disappointed if he turned out to be about the rush capabilities of say, 7 sacks or so. Sometimes, it takes more than one to cause consistent pressure to be the case. That's where I'm hoping Tapper comes in, if he's able to stay healthy. Maliek Collins, too!

reddyuta

Reaction score
Harris was my Favorite too but i always knew he will go way early,Taco is a very good Prospect.He just needs some good pro coaching and some more weight.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Thank you Rick. It starts with the trenches (both oline and dline).

If there is no pass rush your team has a problem. I can't understand how fans value cornerbacks over a pass rush.

It's sickening.
Who values cornerbacks over a pass rush? Not most fans and not this organization either.

Excuse me but have I been living in another universe where we didn't just spend a 1st on a DE? In the last few years have we not invested two 2nds and twos 3rd and a 4th and a 5th on defensive lineman Gregory, Lawrence, Crawford, Tapper and Russell? Didn't we violate our own 'pay big money only on your own free agents unless its an emergency' rule to bring in Hardy? A pass-rushing DE? Didn't we invest a 2nd and a redshirt year on Jaylon who we hope is dynamic in space and as a pass rusher? Didn't we just draft a SPARQ champion who was also the best blitzing CB in the draft?

If 300 pound dudes who could rush the quarterback and also cover Odell Beckham Jr existed I bet we'd probably draft them also! Unfortunately, those guys don't exist.

Oh and as a PSA...really good cornerbacks are pretty important...it's why they command such big money in free agency. The Patriots just held Malcom Butler hostage and gave another guy $65mm dollars to cover those little fast guys who catch passes. Is Bill Belichick stupid?

You win in the NFL by having a better passing differential than your opponent. The first order of business is having a great passer yourself. The 2nd order is to make it difficult on opposing quarterbacks. That involves big uglies to be sure. But you also need those skinny pretty boys on the back end too. Saying otherwise doesn't make it true.

The Falcons had Vic Beasely....it didn't help Jalen Collins much who had maybe the worst day of his life in the Superbowl.

r

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Dangle a DE of Sherman's ability for trade and it would get easily as much play around here. And wanting Ramsey in a year before four DBs are scheduled to hit the market is hardly a sign of CB bias. That's just a case of talent fitting need.

As for the 2007 Giants, that was a complete defense by the time they hit the playoffs. Their whole thing was getting hot right at the end of the season and winning the four playoff games from behind with Eli playing great football. Yeah, they had a great DL, but key picks got them past both Dallas and Green Bay that year. It's one case of a team whose DL was stronger than its secondary, sure. That happens. But if they didn't play complete defense, there's no way they complete the playoff sweep against Romo, Rodgers, and Brady.

2007 Favre instead of Rodgers

SlammedZero

Reaction score
"I think [with] Switzer it came down to Donnel Pumphrey who the Eagles took right before them. They may have taken Pumphrey. He led the nation in rushing."

Well, I am glad this didn't happen. I understand taking chances at BPA but I feel completely confident with our RBs at this point.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Everyone would be happy that we got our speed rusher if we took Takk. Taco is 30 pounds heavier than Takk and then you remember these numbers (courtesy to @xwalker who keeps posting them).

Taco
6-6
ten: 1.63
3-cone: 7.17
Short Shuttle: 4.39

McKinley
6-2
ten: 1.60
3-cone: 7.48
Short Shuttle: 4.44

After review i'd prefer to have the bigger stronger guy who is more agile.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Why exactly would you want him to?

It will help him mostly with being violent with hands,if he can overhelm OTs with his initial punch and contact than he will become a force.He is not a power rusher yet but he can really be one.