Goose: Cowboys would have picked this prospect in a heartbeat

Manster68

Reaction score
Folks, when I see this thread, several things come to mind.

First - The Lions Hall of Fame corner from the 60s & 70s Lem Barney. He said in his speech: "I can handle the receiver making one move on me and maybe even a second. but if he makes a 3rd move on me, then someone is not getting to the quarterback."

I always thought it was a bit unfair for corners like Carr, Claiborne, and even Jenkins and Newman earlier (to an extent) from the lack of pass rush (outside of Ware who was double-teamed and held every play).

Second - As much as I admire the Cowboy secondary players from 30-45 years ago, they were some blessed from the pass rush Landry and Stautner was able to provide them. They were spoiled rotten. The pass rush in the early 90s was outstanding, but that wasn't as good as Andrie, Pugh, Townes, Lilly, Cole, Martin, Too Tall, Manster, Bill Gregory, Dutton, and even Larry Bethea provided all throughout that 20 year stretch of winning seasons.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Good Post.

Remember on here before the draft last year, the fan base was split on zeke or Ramsey at 4, and most didnt want Bosa. Anybody in here acting like most fans on this site dont have a Cb fetish is lying.

That fetish just got fed, I'm a Janitor!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's good news.
People wanted to get away from the injury/druggie/TE picks. They should love Awuzie because he is rock solid with good character, no injuries, good game footage and measurables.

Vero_F250

Reaction score
So does Lewis still have a questionable future baring what Goodell does, or is it all smooth sailing from here?
During the draft one of the analysts discussed this and said he can't be suspended for something he did in college as he wasn't an "employee" yet. Same reason Mixon won't be suspended by the NFL is the example they used. Not sure how accurate that is though.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
What's interesting to me is people can't still seem to see that the defense has to play as a complete unit, and any weakness will be exploited, whether its pass rush, coverage, stopping the run through a certain gap, etc.

If you can't cover, Brady will figure it out, pick you apart with short patterns, and your pass rush will never get there. He will hit the back foot and it will be gone. If you don't have a pass rush, you will see longer drops, he will hold the ball longer and beat you with deeper patterns to now a guy like Cooks or before Gronk got hurt. A credit to the Emperor is he saw their limitations even after getting a ring, and tried to correct them with Cooks instead of sitting back all happy he got a ring. They were a limited offense last year and still won.

Your in trouble both ways, unless you have balance of both pass rush and coverage. Same on offense, if a team can't run the ball, the D will nickel them. If they can't pass the ball, they will stack the line.

Its not that complicated, you need balance on both offense and on D.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Folks, when I see this thread, several things come to mind.

First - The Lions Hall of Fame corner from the 60s & 70s Lem Barney. He said in his speech: "I can handle the receiver making one move on me and maybe even a second. but if he makes a 3rd move on me, then someone is not getting to the quarterback."

I always thought it was a bit unfair for corners like Carr, Claiborne, and even Jenkins and Newman earlier (to an extent) from the lack of pass rush (outside of Ware who was double-teamed and held every play).

Second - As much as I admire the Cowboy secondary players from 30-45 years ago, they were some blessed from the pass rush Landry and Stautner was able to provide them. They were spoiled rotten. The pass rush in the early 90s was outstanding, but that wasn't as good as Andrie, Pugh, Townes, Lilly, Cole, Martin, Too Tall, Manster, Bill Gregory, Dutton, and even Larry Bethea provided all throughout that 20 year stretch of winning seasons.

It was unfair to those CBs to not get the support they deserved, just like it would be unfair to have pass rushers not get the support they deserve. Both are premium positions, there is really no point to that argument other than to waste time posting about nothing.

To your 2nd point, those secondary players did have the benefit of being about to basically abuse receivers on every play. What isn't seen is were those pass rushers back in the day better cause of what was allowed to happen behind them. Could Deacon Jones get so many sacks if the receivers weren't getting held and knocked into a coma behind him.....the defense plays as a unit, and it just has to be said that the destruction of the receivers back then had alot to do with the 'greatness' of those pass rushers then.

Now, the secondary can't do that so pass rushers have less time to get there and has made D hard to play these days, especially for the secondary.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
This was a weird draft to me in the sense that there just weren't any must-have players. Not any players I felt strongly about. There were players I kind of preferred but when I compared them to others at the same position who would most likely be there when drafting, I didn't see much difference. Even at the top: Myles Garrett vs Solomon Thomas? Trubisky vs Mahommes vs Watson? I personally think Dobbs is going to be the best QB of the bunch. Fournette vs Cook vs Foreman? Harris vs Tak vs Taco? Who knows. Any of those 3 would have been fine with me There were a plethora of DBs with pretty much similar talent and potential. We have 3 new CBs and I have no idea which one will be the best. The guy from Colorado, the guy from Michigan, or the guy from Florida State? I do believe the Cowboys have a high probability of finding one starter out of the 3 new CBs. I give them all about a 33.33% chance right now as to who will be the best rookie CB of the bunch.

2017 was a pretty poor draft for those in the top 10 since there wasn't much separation between the top and middle tier players. When we look back several years later at the 2017 NFL draft class, I think we will call it 'solid overall but not many spectacular players.'