Goose: Cowboys would have picked this prospect in a heartbeat

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Thank you Rick. It starts with the trenches (both oline and dline).

If there is no pass rush your team has a problem. I can't understand how fans value cornerbacks over a pass rush.

It's sickening.
The Deion effect..unfortunately with new rules and contact with receivers, no one could replicate his standing as the one and only true "shutdown corner in his prime" the NFL has ever seen. Teams gave up on throwing his way for several seasons, allowing coverages to double the #1 (still hated that philosophy, man up with the #1!) wo comprising coverage towards other receivers. On top of the multiple WR sets where it is near impossible to simply "man your WR the way Deion did" wo some zone-man concepts involved, the older Revis/Sherman types are as close as you're going to get and premier pass rushers would be preferred over either. So....I agree :)

Last edited:

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I keep hearing on this board that Taco is fast. Goose seems to think he's not. I am not a Goose fan, but i have to side with him on this one.
His speed/running style and size remind me of Greg Ellis. Kinda clumsy looking but seems to have a good hold on his athleticism; not fumbling over himself and uses power over bending around the edge.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Goose draws plenty of flak around here, largely because he's so opinionated and there's are always skeptical souls that abound whenever that's the case. I'm surely not under the impression that he's always correct in his opinions but I believe he hit the nail on the head here. Charlton isn't really speedy, although he makes up for it with size, strength and a relentless mindset that makes up for any speed that he lacks. Also, there's nothing wrong with looking forward to seeing what he can do to boost a pass rush that has previously been anemic. I think he'll succeed in his efforts.
Taco had better 3-cone and short shuttle times than Harris. Their 10-yard times were similar.

Taco outweighed him by 24 pounds.

haleyrules

Reaction score
Thank you Rick. It starts with the trenches (both oline and dline).

If there is no pass rush your team has a problem. I can't understand how fans value cornerbacks over a pass rush.

It's sickening.
Amen...you ain't kiddin. Runt corners..lol. what offense is afraid of some runt...rat faced corner!!:);).

NeonDeion21

Reaction score
Does having an elite pass rush help? Of course. Can you win a Super Bowl with an average pass rush? Absolutely.

Dwight

Reaction score
Nobody values secondary over the front. The reality is, though, football comes down to the QB v the entire defense. You can't be weak anywhere, because the ball comes out now a lot of times before you can even physically get to the QB.

If you have a weakness defensively in any packages, OCs will figure out how to exploit it. The trenches stuff sounds good, just like "defense wins championships" does, but it's inaccurate and an oversimplification.

I disagree. There were fans on this board that valued corners over DE's & DTs. It seems as if that happens every offseason. Disagree? Well look no further to the Richard Sherman and Ramsey's (last year) threads.

As far as your point of weakness on the defensive side of the football look at the Giants 2007 team that won the Super Bowl. They beat three very good teams (Pats, Cowboys & Packers) with a depleted and below average secondary but had a very good pass rush.

I'll take a good pass rush any day over a secondary.

visionary

Reaction score
Bathe in it, boys.

Remember to get behind the ears, Winicki.

You are obviously wrong
You are clearly not aware of the concept of 'coverage sacks'
I have it on good authority that great defenses are built by great secondaries

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
I keep hearing on this board that Taco is fast. Goose seems to think he's not. I am not a Goose fan, but i have to side with him on this one.
I believe he is fast, but he doesn't have that suddenness at the snap. Apparently, he is a little slower off the ball, than the elite pass rushers. He is definitely not DWare, where he is so fast off the snap that the refs assume offsides and throw the flag. But still, he has plenty of speed, as well as size to do some damage in opposing backfields, as well as be stout against the run.

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
Taco had better 3-cone and short shuttle times than Harris. Their 10-yard times were similar.

Taco outweighed him by 24 pounds.
You got it. Those times matter wayyy more than the 40 for edge rushers.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I disagree. There were fans on this board that valued corners over DE's & DTs. It seems as if that happens every offseason. Disagree? Well look no further to the Richard Sherman and Ramsey's (last year) threads.

As far as your point of weakness on the defensive side of the football look at the Giants 2007 team that won the Super Bowl. They beat three very good teams (Pats, Cowboys & Packers) with a depleted and below average secondary but had a very good pass rush.

I'll take a good pass rush any day over a secondary.

Dangle a DE of Sherman's ability for trade and it would get easily as much play around here. And wanting Ramsey in a year before four DBs are scheduled to hit the market is hardly a sign of CB bias. That's just a case of talent fitting need.

As for the 2007 Giants, that was a complete defense by the time they hit the playoffs. Their whole thing was getting hot right at the end of the season and winning the four playoff games from behind with Eli playing great football. Yeah, they had a great DL, but key picks got them past both Dallas and Green Bay that year. It's one case of a team whose DL was stronger than its secondary, sure. That happens. But if they didn't play complete defense, there's no way they complete the playoff sweep against Romo, Rodgers, and Brady.

Proof

Reaction score
Dangle a DE of Sherman's ability for trade and it would get easily as much play around here. And wanting Ramsey in a year before four DBs are scheduled to hit the market is hardly a sign of CB bias. That's just a case of talent fitting need.

As for the 2007 Giants, that was a complete defense by the time they hit the playoffs. Their whole thing was getting hot right at the end of the season and winning the four playoff games from behind with Eli playing great football. Yeah, they had a great DL, but key picks got them past both Dallas and Green Bay that year. It's one case of a team whose DL was stronger than its secondary, sure. That happens. But if they didn't play complete defense, there's no way they complete the playoff sweep against Romo, Rodgers, and Brady.

Pretty much. Also you can value "pass rush" over secondary and still prefer to draft DBs in a particular draft. Context matters