Gotta Say, I don't love the new 42 look on Defense

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
they made the right adjustments and gave up 1 score in the 2nd half. Got us the ball back 3 times at the end of the game ( along with a INT) and gave us a chance to win

normally the D gets worse as the game goes on and can never get stops at the end of games when needed.

1st game with a new system - on the road - I would think we will see improvements as the season goes

We went in, at the half, with the lead. As badly as we played early, the D really did lock it down in the second quarter and get things back to a point where we could have won.

Flamma

Reaction score
I absolutely hate what I saw on Sunday from this against the Rams. We really got pushed around, right up the middle against the Rams. I hate this 42 look we are running.

What was not to like? That we couldn't defend the edge? Or was it that the Dallas D couldn't get off the field because every 3rd down was inches to 3 yards tops? Or that we couldn't stop the run up the middle? Yeah, you mentioned that.

BigD_95

Reaction score
Anyone know or have an idea that McVay has seen this type of defense before, and was familiar what was happening. And took advantage of players in a new defense with a lot of new players?

Not using that as an excuse. As they did look like the same old Swiss cheese defense. They settled down some after that 1st drive or 2. But still was not enough.
Waiting for adjustments in the next game. It will take 4 to 6 games, maybe even 8 to get it to. where they want it.

20 points to a very good Rams offense that was not going through any major changes. For the 1st game, not a total disaster.

good post - only thing I would disagree with is that it really was "enough" .... D gave us the ball back including a turnover 3 times at the end of the game. Not the fault of the defense that the coach didn't kick the game tying field goal or the offense couldn't get the ball across the 50 yard line.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
What was not to like? That we couldn't defend the edge? Or was it that the Dallas D couldn't get off the field because every 3rd down was inches to 3 yards tops? Or that we couldn't stop the run up the middle? Yeah, you mentioned that.

Special Teams were much, much better though.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Tell ya what's interesting, all the quick stuff where Dak just short sets and gets rid of the ball are working. Those plays had success.

I would like to see some misdirection, jet sweeps, bootlegs,and just in general more flair added to a quick passing game.

You have all of these studs on offense. Just get the ball in their hands.

Aaron Donald can't tee off on the QB if he's having to think about which way the play is going.

They have so many dynamic players on offense and a QB that can move and we just play offense like a stick in the mud.

McVay put the Cowboys on their heels. When will it be our turn to do some of that?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
4-2 is the only thing you can run against 11 personnel. It's not like the run game was really the problem. LA was in 11 on 68% of snaps. The second you bring on a third LB, they are going to spread and just absolutely kill you in the passing game.

JayFord

Reaction score
I think the defense did fine against the run...

but defending the screen?

if I could give a negative rating for the screen defense I would......if our screen defense was just bad, the rams would’ve only scored 10 points.....it was non existent

fivetwos

Reaction score
This team seems to read their own headlines.

People picked them to play well so they think they can just show up and be fine.

Whenever they are touted highly in the preseason they are awful.

That's all on coaching and was a typical Garrett trait.

I think it's going to be more difficult than I originally thought to shed that issue.

Plenty of guys here have played for no other coach.

Valkyr

Reaction score
Well, I don't know the term for the 'they're going one way, whoops, now they're going the other way and we have no idea what to do' defense is, but maybe we could fix that as well.

JayFord

Reaction score
This team seems to read their own headlines.

People picked them to play well so they think they can just show up and be fine.

Whenever they are touted highly in the preseason they are awful.

That's all on coaching and was a typical Garrett trait.

I think it's going to be more difficult than I originally thought to shed that issue.

Plenty of guys here have played for no other coach.

once you punch this team in the face they’ll be fine.....

they dont seem to understand anything else....

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I would like to see some misdirection, jet sweeps, bootlegs,and just in general more flair added to a quick passing game.

You have all of these studs on offense. Just get the ball in their hands.

Aaron Donald can't tee off on the QB if he's having to think about which way the play is going.

They have so many dynamic players on offense and a QB that can move and we just play offense like a stick in the mud.

McVay put the Cowboys on their heels. When will it be our turn to do some of that?

Hard to know right now if the game plan was set up because of our situation on the OL. I'm telling you right now, Steel had a lot of issues in this game. I mean, I get it, but he had a long day. Misdirection and sweeps and jets and all of that kind of stuff takes some chemistry along the OL and I wonder if that's driving some of this? Throw in Donald and well, I think I have to see more before I throw in with you on the whole, "This Offense has no imagination" thing.

BTW, I don't remember who I was talking to on this but Donald literally beat everybody on the OL. Somebody said that he didn't beat Smith but he did. The play were Donald hits Dak in the helmet and disrupts the play is right over Smitty. He basically bulled him right back into Dak's lap on that play and broke it up. Donald had a hell of a game against us.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
4-2 is the only thing you can run against 11 personnel. It's not like the run game was really the problem. LA was in 11 on 68% of snaps. The second you bring on a third LB, they are going to spread and just absolutely kill you in the passing game.
Not necessarily. Jaylon Smith is fast enough to be able to cover TEs in man-to-man or the flats area while in zone.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Hard to know right now if the game plan was set up because of our situation on the OL. I'm telling you right now, Steel had a lot of issues in this game. I mean, I get it, but he had a long day. Misdirection and sweeps and jets and all of that kind of stuff takes some chemistry along the OL and I wonder if that's driving some of this? Throw in Donald and well, I think I have to see more before I throw in with you on the whole, "This Offense has no imagination" thing.

BTW, I don't remember who I was talking to on this but Donald literally beat everybody on the OL. Somebody said that he didn't beat Smith but he did. The play were Donald hits Dak in the helmet and disrupts the play is right over Smitty. He basically bulled him right back into Dak's lap on that play and broke it up. Donald had a hell of a game against us.

See I disagree..

Quick plays can negate bad offensive line play.

It's the long drawn out routes where your QB is sitting in 1 spot and not moving is when guys will get exposed.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
See I disagree..

Quick plays can negate bad offensive line play.

It's the long drawn out routes where your QB is sitting in 1 spot and not moving is when guys will get exposed.
Now you're talking and making sense bro.

MTerrazzano

Reaction score
I absolutely hate what I saw on Sunday from this against the Rams. We really got pushed around, right up the middle against the Rams. I hate this 42 look we are running.
Totally agree. What i hated the most is taking two former pro bowl DEs - Tank and Griffen - and seeing them line up in two point stance. It may be too early to judge, but they looked terribly awkward. Here are my wishful thoughts for the D to be more multiple, and put the players in the best possible position to exceed:

The defense cannot play on its heels and need to place the talents of A. Smith, Lawrence, and Griffen in their best possible position to exceed. That being said, it appears that only A. Smith truly is comfortable at the moment playing a hybrid OLB/DE role while rushing from a two point stand.

I get this is a move away from Marinelli’s basic 4-3 defense and embrace the philosophy of becoming more multiple, but after only one week, I am deeply concerned that this defense will not suit the talents of both Lawrence and Griffen. They looked ultra-tentative and misplaced when trying to rush from a two point stand.

An equal concern is seeing J. Smith line up off the line of scrimmage being asked to shed blocks, take on RBs head-on. We need to protect J. Smith by having him attack the line of scrimmage and limit an offenses opportunities of running right at him.

Without further ado, I present the different alignments we need to go with:

1. Base 4-2-5

In this alignment, we show a traditional 4 DL front:

LE – Lawrence
NT- Woods
UT – Hill/Gallimore/Crawford
RE – Griffen

LB – Gifford
LB – Bernard

In this alignment, I prefer Woods over Poe in order to get up the field more. It places Lawrence / Griffen in traditional DE spots with three-point stance, and let’s go with Gifford/Bernard (until Lee and Vander Esch are healthy) to take on blocks and RBs. The DL play one-gap and get up the field which truly suits the down linemen’s strengths.

2. 3-4 Look

In this alignment, we show a 3-4 look, but it’s really a design to have a 5 man rush:

DE/T – Crawford
NT – Poe
DE/T - Hill/Gallimore

OLB/E – A. Smith
ILB – Gifford
ILB – Bernard
OLB/E – J. Smith

In this alignment, we get a 5 man rush with the Smith’s as bookend “stand-up pass rushers”. The down lineman play a two gap technique. I can see offenses looking to attack J. Smith by running right at him, but I think the combination of Crawford/Poe can tie up at least three blockers to help get LB’s Gifford or Bernard flowing to help J. Smith hold up versus the run.

And if running at A. Smith we get to see J. Smith run and chase from behind, while also attacking the QB.

3. 4-2-5 (Nickel)

This is our 2nd and long / 3rd and long passing down alignment. This alignment will feature our best pass rushers.

LE – Lawrence
LT – Crawford
RT – Griffen
RE – A. Smith

ILB – Thomas
ILB – J. Smith

In this alignment, we truly have the makings of playing to the front four’s strengths, with combinations of stunts and pass rush from our four best pass rushers. Most times, J. Smith will attack the line of scrimmage as a fifth pass rusher, coming on stunts up the middle or off the edge. We also have an ability of playing Griffen at RE, and have A. Smith stand up and rush from the inside along with J. Smith. Thomas will be the one coverage LB dropping into the middle zone with at times some blitzing.

Conclusion: we play to our players’ strengths:

J. Smith / A. Smith as bookend stand up pass rushers and rushing from various spots.
Lawrence / Griffen as bookend DEs playing with one hand in the turf.
Poe as a traditional NT

It’s a pressure defense which should get the players playing less on their heels and attacking more.

JayFord

Reaction score
Well, they got punched square in the face in that first quarter and we lost so I don't know......
Well some good news

they got dragged out back and beat down by the 49ers in 2014 the first game

2016 the giants kicked us where it really hurts

2018 the panthers gave us the jake roberts DDT

all three years ended up with double digit wins

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Well some good news

they got dragged out back and beat down by the 49ers in 2014 the first game

2016 the giants kicked us where it really hurts

2018 the panthers gave us the jake roberts DDT

all three years ended up with double digit wins

I'll open up a beer and drink to this later. Right now, all I can do is hope this holds true.