Gotta Say, I don't love the new 42 look on Defense

DuncanIso

Reaction score
We saw the pats handle the rams perfectly running a 5-2 look in the SB. Why we didn't do the same thing after they ran roughshod on us in the same playoffs. We ran a 4-2 look all game then too. I swear coaching in the nfl is just bad.

I think the Pats lined up their DTs [0/2 Tech?] on the Rams OL guards. The old Steelers defense?
I think the defense did fine against the run...

but defending the screen?

if I could give a negative rating for the screen defense I would......if our screen defense was just bad, the rams would’ve only scored 10 points.....it was non existent

Gave up 153 yds rushing...

35 minutes of clock for the Rams.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Rams countered with 3 TE sets. Interesting to see how they set us up lining up tight and then fanning out and creating lanes. We have terrible discipline here. We should really be better with 5 DBs on the field, defensing quick screens, bubbles and flares. Any stretch to the outside etc. but we aren't. We get sucked in to these tight formations and get out of our lanes, creating hugh areas where nobody is covering. Tailor made for a QB who can set up quickly, find the soft zone and deliver the ball quickly and accurately. That's Goff every day.
Yeah well getting beat with 5 or 6 yards on the ground every run play will do that to you, but yeah have to get better

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
4-2 is the only thing you can run against 11 personnel. It's not like the run game was really the problem. LA was in 11 on 68% of snaps. The second you bring on a third LB, they are going to spread and just absolutely kill you in the passing game.
Amen. It’s called nickel. This isn’t some new scheme.

basstapp

Reaction score
We played a lot 50 Man front and We can not stop The run.
We cant stop the quick pass, We used 2 lb .
We played with a ROT UDFA, move Williams ROT
I have no idea why we aren't moving williams and putting MCgovern or Biad at guard. Jaylon Smith looks like a galloping gazelle out there. I hope the team is realistic and will bench him if he continues to play like he is.

Dre11

Reaction score
It's beyond terrible at times and I can't stand it when people act like fans shouldn't question the all knowing dumb *** coaches who do stupid stuff like not take the 3 points on 4th and 3.

Sean McVay was the biggest difference in our game and i'm sick and tired of it being our players vs the other teams players + their coaching staff actually helping them with scheme.

except you cried when Garrett would go for a fg in that situation, it was damned if you do damned if you don't, if Shultz runs his route deep enough to create the pick or if Dak was able to lead Lamb more and they convert, you'd be calling McCarthy a genius. Ron Rivera had the same scenario vs Eagles , they converted and it led to a td. they're praising him for it.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Clear to see that the defense needs to be rebuilt - this this preferably with people who don't have serious injury issues coming out of college please.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yeah well getting beat with 5 or 6 yards on the ground every run play will do that to you, but yeah have to get better

Sure will. I've played on teams where that has happened to us but never often and it was no fun. Getting beat over the top is what it is. That's no fun either but getting beat right up the gut, right in your face, that sucks. Teams will quit on you after seeing that happen enough times.

That's no good.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Hard to name more than 3-4 players on this current D I care to have back. So much dead weight.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Yeah, one game and it's plain to see that we suck!!! I guess it wasn't Garrett's fault. We are just doomed to suck for all eternity.

This is the fault of Garrett's incompetence all these years. It will take a year or so to fix because of it.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Sure will. I've played on teams where that has happened to us but never often and it was no fun. Getting beat over the top is what it is. That's no fun either but getting beat right up the gut, right in your face, that sucks. Teams will quit on you after seeing that happen enough times.

That's no good.

It's terrible. But the Rams did this to us in the playoffs. The previous regime did nothing for an entire year to resolve the issue.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
The Cowboys have a very good strong side DE in Lawrence, and good weak side ends in Griffen and Smith, so I'm not sure why they went with that soft two-down linemen look so much. It goes against every strength on the team. The personnel they brought in doesn't fit it at all. If you want to stand Aldon up some times, that could be nasty, but Tank should absolutely never be standing. He doesn't have nearly enough athleticism in pass rushing and it allows blockers to get under him easier in the running game.

I've defended Nolan since day one, but they need to come back with some dramatic changes or he'll lose me pretty quick. It was a very poorly called game defensively. Even when the blitz started working, they went away from it.

Fingers crossed they got whatever experiments they had planned out of the way and we get back to playing downhill and attacking.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It's terrible. But the Rams did this to us in the playoffs. The previous regime did nothing for an entire year to resolve the issue.

They did. They didn't do exactly the same thing but they attacked the same weakness, in terms of how McVay put the game plane together. They used our strength against us. McVay is a pretty smart kid. There is definitely a reason that he is where he is at the age he's at.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
They did. They didn't do exactly the same thing but they attacked the same weakness, in terms of how McVay put the game plane together. They used our strength against us. McVay is a pretty smart kid. There is definitely a reason that he is where he is at the age he's at.

I absolutely agree with that McVay is a genius. I just love how he attacked the weakest link on our offense with Aaron Donald. Rendering the rest of our oline ineffective. He certainly was prepared for us.

Our weakness still exists. That's what we inherited from the old regime. We were always soft in the middle. Using under size DLs, etc. I don't think its going to be fixed that easily though.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
except you cried when Garrett would go for a fg in that situation, it was damned if you do damned if you don't, if Shultz runs his route deep enough to create the pick or if Dak was able to lead Lamb more and they convert, you'd be calling McCarthy a genius. Ron Rivera had the same scenario vs Eagles , they converted and it led to a td. they're praising him for it.

Dude shut up. You have 0 credibility left on this board.

If it’s 3rd and 6 and I run it and only get 3 yards there is no way I’m going for it at that point in the game.

4th and 1 I can buy it but we were hanging on at that point because we were getting smacked around the field all game.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The Cowboys have a very good strong side DE in Lawrence, and good weak side ends in Griffen and Smith, so I'm not sure why they went with that soft two-down linemen look so much. It goes against every strength on the team. The personnel they brought in doesn't fit it at all. If you want to stand Aldon up some times, that could be nasty, but Tank should absolutely never be standing. He doesn't have nearly enough athleticism in pass rushing and it allows blockers to get under him easier in the running game.

I've defended Nolan since day one, but they need to come back with some dramatic changes or he'll lose me pretty quick. It was a very poorly called game defensively. Even when the blitz started working, they went away from it.

Fingers crossed they got whatever experiments they had planned out of the way and we get back to playing downhill and attacking.

Not a Nolan fan.

he crashed and burned his career in 2013-14.

no one would hire him as a DC again.

the only reason he has a DC job in the NFL again is because big Mike owed him a payback from 2005.

It’s good to have friends.

Dre11

Reaction score
Dude shut up. You have 0 credibility left on this board.

If it’s 3rd and 6 and I run it and only get 3 yards there is no way I’m going for it at that point in the game.

4th and 1 I can buy it but we were hanging on at that point because we were getting smacked around the field all game.

You shut up, you're one of the dumbest poster here, neither decision would've been wrong, you flip flop like a damn fish. you whine like a b.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Rams countered with 3 TE sets. Interesting to see how they set us up lining up tight and then fanning out and creating lanes. We have terrible discipline here. We should really be better with 5 DBs on the field, defensing quick screens, bubbles and flares. Any stretch to the outside etc. but we aren't. We get sucked in to these tight formations and get out of our lanes, creating hugh areas where nobody is covering. Tailor made for a QB who can set up quickly, find the soft zone and deliver the ball quickly and accurately. That's Goff every day.

Second time in the past three years that the Rams offensive coaches outsmarted our defensive ones. The only difference I saw was that we actually adjusted. If the offense had been up to the task, the defense did its job in the second half.

quickccc

Reaction score
I absolutely hate what I saw on Sunday from this against the Rams. We really got pushed around, right up the middle against the Rams. I hate this 42 look we are running.

when it came to being pushed around, and being constantly suckered and out-fooled, i thought it was first more the player personnel, than the 42 look scheme.
the one issue i had was this crazy DL rotation, with players jumping all around the DL on a play by play basis

- Poe was brought in to make a more physical presence but he was so ineffective the few snaps he did get,..and he was even taken out of the goal line
defense, with Crawford (who got bounced around all night) taking his place.
Hill actually ended up being the most effective and active DT. Woods contributed more as a lead FB than an effective DT

.- frankly only Hill on a few plays ( he had a tackle for a loss) was the only DT i thought was making his presence felt on a few plays, and it was DTs that were supposed to clear the traffic for the LBs
Rams ran for 136 yards and much was in the interior. We were supposed to have new lineup players that was supposed to change how we play defense.
Bring a more physical brawny style vs marinelli days. i didn't come close to seeing that vs Rams

and 42 " look or not, we have LBs that can be had vs screens,..misdirection kills them! . and we have LBs that run around blocks, he can't shed
and get thru blocks and he's a liability in coverage. Jaylon's poor LB play has nothing to do with his knee issues, he's just a limited player because
he has very questionable instincts, and simpy and no where near the hype he was made out to be as a top 10 overall defender in his 2016 draft class.