Great interview with Tom Landry

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Most of the board would have wanted him fired after the 1968 or 1969 season.
I think everyone in Texas wanted him fired after his final season in 1989 after 3 straight losing seasons. Most just didn't like Jerry and Jimmy when they first got here, so they got up in arms on the way he was fired. Even the media referred to Jerry and Jimmy as the Beverley Hillbillies in their first year of going 1-15 and looking like they had no clue what they were doing.

rambo2

Reaction score
Can you imagine keeping the same coach for over a decade with the playoff failures he had from 1966 to 1970.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I was not born yet but I read many books about the Cowboys of the Landry Era.

And there was a time they were called "Next Year's Champions" (mockingly). From 1966-70 they had the reputation of beating up all the easy teams in the regular season and then falling short come the playoffs when the competition was tougher.

Yes, different game, different era, no free agency, etc. But if this doesn't sound strikingly familiar to the Cowboys from 2021-present, I don't know what does.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Can you imagine keeping the same coach for over a decade with the playoff failures he had from 1966 to 1970.
3 of those failures were in the NFL championship game. Two in the "old" NFL and one after the merge.

Those teams truly were "close", unlike this team that flops in the first playoff game. Much easier to say they should keep the coach back then.

J_Allen

Reaction score
My dad was a lifelong Cowboys fan and the very first Christmas I remember I came out of my room and there was a Cowboys jersey and helmet hanging on the mantle. That must have been 1986. He quit the team on the spot as soon as Landry was fired. He hated the Cowboys after that.

He told me about the heartbreaking losses to the Steelers in the Super Bowl and yet he was still rooting for the Steelers in Super Bowl 30.

rambo2

Reaction score
3 of those failures were in the NFL championship game. Two in the "old" NFL and one after the merge.

Those teams truly were "close", unlike this team that flops in the first playoff game. Much easier to say they should keep the coach back then.
They were saying that Landry can't win the big one and they were trashing the Cowboys saying they would always be next years champions.