Great interview with Tom Landry

Creeper

Reaction score
I remember that 38-0 game we lost to the St. Louis Cardinals. But the Cowboys won out after that. Made the playoffs and beat Detroit 5-0. Then we beat the 49ers to make it to the Super Bowl where we lost a close game to the Colts.

The one thing I never understood back then is why Landry chose Morton over Staubach when I thought it wasn't close. Staubach was like our versions of Patrick Mahomes.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Can you imagine keeping the same coach for over a decade with the playoff failures he had from 1966 to 1970.
It was a different era including lack of internet and coast to coast news with no social media and people had more patience. Otherwise he would of been fired.

nobody

Reaction score
I think everyone in Texas wanted him fired after his final season in 1989 after 3 straight losing seasons. Most just didn't like Jerry and Jimmy when they first got here, so they got up in arms on the way he was fired. Even the media referred to Jerry and Jimmy as the Beverley Hillbillies in their first year of going 1-15 and looking like they had no clue what they were doing.
That Landry was fired wasn't the problem. It was time. HOW Jerry did it was the problem. Jerry even acknowledged that mistake.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
They were saying that Landry can't win the big one and they were trashing the Cowboys saying they would always be next years champions.
Oh I know that, I lived through it. Became a Cowboys fan about 1968. And the 3 losses in the championship games were a touchdown of less different as far as the score. Not to mention the first two games were against one of, if not the top NFL teams. The second loss was on a last second fg, the first two on last second plays, either by Dallas or the Packers. Not like losing to a seventh seed playoff team, at home or a wild card team that Dallas had beaten twice in the regular season (Giants).

Saying "if we can just win one more game we'll be champs so let's see if we can make some tweaks to get over the hump" is a lot different than saying "We got blasted out in the first round and lost so we don't know what we can do".

This team is far away from being a SB champ, as proved by Dallas in 1971 with a 24-3 dismantling of the Dolphins after just missing the win the year before those teams were not. World of difference.

rambo2

Reaction score
Oh I know that, I lived through it. Became a Cowboys fan about 1968. And the 3 losses in the championship games were a touchdown of less different as far as the score. Not to mention the first two games were against one of, if not the top NFL teams. The second loss was on a last second fg, the first two on last second plays, either by Dallas or the Packers. Not like losing to a seventh seed playoff team, at home or a wild card team that Dallas had beaten twice in the regular season (Giants).

Saying "if we can just win one more game we'll be champs so let's see if we can make some tweaks to get over the hump" is a lot different than saying "We got blasted out in the first round and lost so we don't know what we can do".

This team is far away from being a SB champ, as proved by Dallas in 1971 with a 24-3 dismantling of the Dolphins after just missing the win the year before those teams were not. World of difference.
In 1970 the Cowboys lost to the Vikings 54 to 13 and they lost at home to the Cardinals 38 to 0. We're they close? The went to the Super Bowl thar year. They then won it the following year.

75boyz

Reaction score
I very much appreciate you sharing this.
Landry the man, is even more impressive than Landry the coach.
He was class personified as a human being.

You throw in Roger with Landry and that's where my roots and fan foundation began.
And ya can't ever take away these pre-Jerry memories.

So yeah, thanks again for sharing.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
In 1970 the Cowboys lost to the Vikings 54 to 13 and they lost at home to the Cardinals 38 to 0. We're they close? The went to the Super Bowl thar year. They then won it the following year.
Finished 10-4 and won their division. 23-4-1 the two years before. You bet your bottom dollar they were close.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Last part of the interview Landry speaks of his Christian faith in case anyone gets triggered. He addressed the term America's Team .

Don't understand the triggering comment. Landry spoke of his Christian faith. It's all well and good. As long as you are not on a posting path of lobbying to canonize Landry for sainthood.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Then you would say that the current team is close.
Close is appearing in 2 NFL title games and a Super Bowl in 5 years.

Not losing in WC round 2 of 3 years.

We haven’t had a team this era I’d compare to that team that won SB in 1971 after 5 years of being close.

What exactly would you say this current team is close to. A Super Bowl or maybe finally advancing past Divisional round?

rambo2

Reaction score
Close is appearing in 2 NFL title games and a Super Bowl in 5 years.

Not losing in WC round 2 of 3 years.

We haven’t had a team this era I’d compare to that team that won SB in 1971 after 5 years of being close.

What exactly would you say this current team is close to. A Super Bowl or maybe finally advancing past Divisional round?
Just pointing out that nobody thought that 1970 team was close after the 2 playoff loses to the Browns and the 2 devastating loses to the Vikings and Cardinals that year. Then throw in the Bears loss in 1971 where Landry alternated qbs after every play.