Great interview with Tom Landry

MikeT22

Reaction score
You guys don't get the point. It was unknown at that time that those historic teams would win after they were beaten so badly.
I get it, you’re grasping at straws when there is no real comparison between then and now.

So what is your take away? We need to stay the course with MM because they did back then with Landry? We have the next Staubach on our roster just waiting to breakout?

You can have blind faith, but no actual correlation between those teams and this team.

rambo2

Reaction score
I get it, you’re grasping at straws when there is no real comparison between then and now.

So what is your take away? We need to stay the course with MM because they did back then with Landry? We have the next Staubach on our roster just waiting to breakout?

You can have blind faith, but no actual correlation between those teams and this team.
You certainly don't get it. The fans and media were wrong about the Cowboys in the 60's and 70's. I certainly didn't think that they were going to the Super Bowl after they were destroyed by the Vikings and the Cardinals. Nobody thought they would.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
In 1970 the Cowboys lost to the Vikings 54 to 13 and they lost at home to the Cardinals 38 to 0. We're they close? The went to the Super Bowl thar year. They then won it the following year.
Lol...you are close if you make it to the superbowl or championship game.

rambo2

Reaction score
Lol...you are close if you make it to the superbowl or championship game.
How would you know they are close after those 2 losses? Nobody thought they were close.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I interviewed Tom Landry in Jan 1979 after the Cowboys' Super Bowl practice at the Yankees' old Spring Training Complex in Ft. Lauderdale. As he pulled out his rental car from the parking lot, he stopped and I stuck my head through his passenger side window. What happened next goes in my lifetime top 10. "Tom you are looking at the greatest Dallas Cowboy fan this side of the Mississippi River." With a giant wide smile, Tom responded: "Pleased to meet you."

I got the man who was famous for never smiling to smile for me,
Great story and lucky you.

I never met the man, i did see Mike Ditka in Hartford airport back in his ESPN days. He was being courteous to fans introducing themselves and asking for pictures, i could tell he wasn't loving it tho.

Of course I did approach him and said...Hello Mr. Ditka, could i shake the hand of the man that shook Tom Landry's hand.

Huge smile and a big...of course.

That's all either one of us said.

MikeT22

Reaction score
You certainly don't get it. The fans and media were wrong about the Cowboys in the 60's and 70's. I certainly didn't think that they were going to the Super Bowl after they were destroyed by the Vikings and the Cardinals. Nobody thought they would.
Ok

And?

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
How would you know they are close after those 2 losses? Nobody thought they were close.
Championship loses and everyone loses games in the regular season except Miami and NE (who lost in the SB).

In 93 we lost to Philly 35-0 on MNF and won the SB.

rambo2

Reaction score
Championship loses and everyone loses games in the regular season except Miami and NE (who lost in the SB).

In 93 we lost to Philly 35-0 on MNF and won the SB.
I would think is very rare for a team to have a 38 point loss and an over 40 point loss and go to the Super Bowl.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I would think is very rare for a team to have a 38 point loss and an over 40 point loss and go to the Super Bowl.
Just goes to show you real teams turn it on in the post season to reach championship games.