Video: Great take by Colin Cowherd

cern

Reaction score
I can preface any criticism by mentioning his hc and oc. neither coach is innovative and that has greatly contributed to a lot of dak's problems. after 3-5, the coaches started coaching for their lives, opened up the playbook, sped up the game and dak's responded well. 5 victories in a row where most said we'd be lucky to win one of the 5 games. he needs to improve on securing the ball, but that can be learned. it's not a hereditary trait. he needs to learn it's ok to just throw it away at times rather than take a sack. he's still learning and improving.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
What confuses me is why the coaches and Dak can't fix the same reoccurring issues we see weekly. Can they not address and improve pocket awareness and ball security with Dak? How about downfield accuracy by putting a little more air under the ball when your receiver has 10 yds. on his man? Pre-snap recognition/audibles and read thru progressions quicker, either making a throw, throwing it away or running sooner?
How many times do we see multiple receivers wide open for 15 yds. or a potential td if only Dak looks?
If he will improve in these areas just 50% this team can win it all.
If it's mostly coaching, then get better coaches like they did with the secondary, duh.
:hammer:
Also add Red Zone offense on the list.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Has Colin ever been a QB or a QBs coach or a head football coach or a scout or did he spend his life sitting in a chair judging every player around him. I think the ladder, he's nothing more than idiot fans around here. If you like Linehan, then everything you say bad about Dak is true. But if you don't like Linehan, then let's try our luck with a better offensive coordinator/QBs coach and then let's see.

No one know's who Dak will be right now, but while we're waiting to see, he's winning.

pansophy

Reaction score
When it was 2016 we were winning with Dak. We didn't have a great defense. So this thing about Dak being pretty average is bogus.
He had one of the best OL's in history with Zeke, defenses were still doubling Dez, and he wasn't asked to throw a lot. This commentary is exactly right -- A+ intangibles and B-/C+ ability. If Dak gets an incentive based contract that allows us to get a lot of help around him we will have a shot at being good for a while.

erod

Reaction score
When it was 2016 we were winning with Dak. We didn't have a great defense. So this thing about Dak being pretty average is bogus.
That was an easy schedule as it turned out.

And once the league figured out what Dak didn't like to do, he was quickly solved by season's end.

Now, he's working to solve his deficiencies to back these defenses off. I still don't know why Philly insisted on going one-on-on with Cooper yesterday with those scrap heap corners.

GMO415

Reaction score
Solid take. Agreed on all fascists. I think Dall gets past the first round and grinds out a win in LA. NFC Championship game. here we come.

lkelly

Reaction score
Can Dallas apply a transition tag on him after next year? Does that still exist? Wouldn't it give them the right to match any offers? Something tells me that there wouldn't be a lot of teams lined up to throw $25+ million/year on a long term deal to a middle of the pack guy. Let the market set the rate. I'm pretty sure that when Jerry's bidding against himself the player ends up with a whopper of a deal. They at least had the sense to build playing time incentives into the Lee contract. That was the exception to the rule.

Nav22

Reaction score
He’s 30-15 as a starter. Everything else is fluff. Dak’s a winner and winners usually win.

17-20 for 3 TD, 0 INT in the 4th quarter/OT yesterday. And nobody was surprised, not even his detractors, because Dak’s as CLUTCH a QB as there is in the NFL.

conner01

Reaction score
What confuses me is why the coaches and Dak can't fix the same reoccurring issues we see weekly. Can they not address and improve pocket awareness and ball security with Dak? How about downfield accuracy by putting a little more air under the ball when your receiver has 10 yds. on his man? Pre-snap recognition/audibles and read thru progressions quicker, either making a throw, throwing it away or running sooner?
How many times do we see multiple receivers wide open for 15 yds. or a potential td if only Dak looks?
If he will improve in these areas just 50% this team can win it all.
If it's mostly coaching, then get better coaches like they did with the secondary, duh.
Awareness is hard to teach. Seem like got it or not
Your feet, follow through and reading defense can be taught I think
Some things are instinct

Eanwen

Reaction score
Yeah here's to hoping Dak (and his agent!) understand we need to keep as many of our good/great players as we can.

I'm hoping Dak will take 15 - 20 mill. I don't remember who said it but Cooper, Zeke,DLaw and possibly Byron are more important to keep than Dak.

slick325

Reaction score
Cowherd is accurate regarding intangibles and skill set. Whether Prescott has the self awareness that Cowherd references is yet to be determined. He and his agent are going to ask for $28 most likely and even if they don't...who says the Jones boys don't offer that amount? If the Jones boys throw that money at him...he wouldn't be wrong to say thank you and sign immediately.

Keeping special talent around him is key and that won't work if he breaks the bank.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
He had one of the best OL's in history with Zeke, defenses were still doubling Dez, and he wasn't asked to throw a lot. This commentary is exactly right -- A+ intangibles and B-/C+ ability. If Dak gets an incentive based contract that allows us to get a lot of help around him we will have a shot at being good for a while.

I agree. He has his issues. But when you surround him with talent he does do well. So what? So has every elite QB out there.

Just because he is surrounded with talent doesn't make him a bad QB. He needs work. He's young and he will only get better.

SackMaster

Reaction score
:facepalm:

For the record, I don't disagree with the overall premise of QBs needing pieces around them to win, but...
  • What has Russell done without a Great RB and Great Defense?
    • Even then, when the ball was put in his hands, he throws a sure fire victory away to the Patriots.
  • What has Luck done, period?
    • The guy puts up stats and can get into the playoffs, but the guy lead an offense to just 7 points when the D gave up 42 in his ONLY AFC Championship appearance
  • What has Wentz done without a great team around him?
    • You know, the one that is able to win the SB WITHOUT him?
  • Hell, does Peyton Manning have any SB wins without his defenses stepping up in those playoffs?
    • The Denver D was great all year, but that Colts D kept 3 of the 4 opponents under 17 points or less for his Colts ring.
  • What do we think of Brees if he never teams up with Sean Payton?
    • And even then, they have just TWO NFC Championship appearances in 13 years, going 1-1 in those games.
  • Aaron Rogers is one of the greatest QBs of this generation
    • Yet he is just 1-3 in NFC Championship games and just got another coach fired.
There is ONLY ONE outlier in the post-salary cap era for a QB to have continual success. ONLY one. And that QB is well underpaid so he can continue to have a team built around him.

And even then, he is a part of some of the biggest choke jobs in Super Bowl history in both Giants losses and then losing to the Eagles BACKUP QB.

I don't care who the QB is, there has NEVER been a QB that has done it all by himself, but let's keep pretending that Dallas is the ONLY franchise in history that has a QB that needs people around them to win.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
That was an easy schedule as it turned out.

And once the league figured out what Dak didn't like to do, he was quickly solved by season's end.

Now, he's working to solve his deficiencies to back these defenses off. I still don't know why Philly insisted on going one-on-on with Cooper yesterday with those scrap heap corners.

Well the Patriots have been making a living off of having easy schedules. They play Miami and Clevland twice each year. Come on, we can see that Dak is going to get better if given the talent around him. He has Cooper and look what that does to his production.

You can't have your cake and eat it also.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
Colin is so wishy-washy, it pains me. He's been up and down about Dak for 3 years now...which ever way the wind blows. Just a week or two ago he stated that Dak was not a franchise QB and was another Tebow and now he's a back to being a franchise QB again? Have some conviction, Colin Coward.

For the record, I don't disagree with the overall premise of QBs needing pieces around them to win, but...
  • What has Russell done without a Great RB and Great Defense?
    • Even then, when the ball was put in his hands, he throws a sure fire victory away to the Patriots.
  • What has Luck done, period?
    • The guy puts up stats and can get into the playoffs, but the guy lead an offense to just 7 points when the D gave up 42 in his ONLY AFC Championship appearance
  • What has Wentz done without a great team around him?
    • You know, the one that is able to win the SB WITHOUT him?
  • Hell, does Peyton Manning have any SB wins without his defenses stepping up in those playoffs?
    • The Denver D was great all year, but that Colts D kept 3 of the 4 opponents under 17 points or less for his Colts ring.
  • What do we think of Brees if he never teams up with Sean Payton?
    • And even then, they have just TWO NFC Championship appearances in 13 years, going 1-1 in those games.
  • Aaron Rogers is one of the greatest QBs of this generation
    • Yet he is just 1-3 in NFC Championship games and just got another coach fired.
There is ONLY ONE outlier in the post-salary cap era for a QB to have continual success. ONLY one. And that QB is well underpaid so he can continue to have a team built around him.

And even then, he is a part of some of the biggest choke jobs in Super Bowl history in both Giants losses and then losing to the Eagles BACKUP QB.

I don't care who the QB is, there has NEVER been a QB that has done it all by himself, but let's keep pretending that Dallas is the ONLY franchise in history that has a QB that needs people around them to win.

A++++++
giphy.gif

erod

Reaction score
Well the Patriots have been making a living off of having easy schedules. They play Miami and Clevland twice each year. Come on, we can see that Dak is going to get better if given the talent around him. He has Cooper and look what that does to his production.

You can't have your cake and eat it also.

Dak needs an elite running game, and elite defense, and an elite receiver to be successful.

Dallas had the ball for 45 more plays than Philly. Tons more time of possession.

The Cowboys should have won 40-6 yesterday easily.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
So you think coaches haven’t addressed and worked on ball security with dak..... all the time? You think they haven’t worked on pre snap reads?

No I don't think so. I think he is poorly coached. To top it off we have an oline full of rookies and free agents. No one is mentioning how porous our online has been. Yet Dak has to play within that and still be effective.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Dak needs an elite running game, and elite defense, and an elite receiver to be successful.

Dallas had the ball for 45 more plays than Philly. Tons more time of possession.

The Cowboys should have won 40-6 yesterday easily.

Just like the Eagles last year. They had an elite running game and elite defense. Yet Wince got all the credit.