Video: Great take by Colin Cowherd

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
When it was 2016 we were winning with Dak. We didn't have a great defense. So this thing about Dak being pretty average is bogus.

In 2016 Dak had a great offensive line which controlled the clock and team didn't have film on Dak, they do now! Dak is extremely average at quarterback..first three quarters, three turnovers, QB rating 64% after controlling the clock for most of the game and all he could muster was 9 points..Dallas should have blown out the eagles, a good QB does, an average one doesn't

ClintDagger

Reaction score
When it was 2016 we were winning with Dak. We didn't have a great defense. So this thing about Dak being pretty average is bogus.
Defense was top 5 in scoring and best in the league vs the run. I agree that this version is better, but that defense was capable as well. Remember, in 2016 you’re playing a last place schedule, and it took 10 or so games before teams had enough film on Dak to force him into throws he didn’t like. Not to mention that the running game was more dominant. So Dak had plenty of help in 2016 just as he does now, and he was an unknown to DC’s for most of the year.

Little Jr

Reaction score
I'll ask this again, what qbs have won a SB with no talent or very little talent around them?

Since Wince is a popular subject in here and cowherd thinks hes great, I'll use him as an example. His rookie year he was avg without no running game, avg wrs and avg defense. His 2nd year he was mvp candidate with a good running game, good OL, good wrs and a good defense. This year he has lost his running game and defense and his wrs have taken a step back and his play is above avg.

Daks rookie season he played great and was rookie of the year with a good OL, good wrs, good running game and a good defense. His 2nd year he was avg with a banged up OL, a bad defense at times, a avg running game with a suspended rb and a banged up OL. This year he started out with no wr, a banged up and avg OL, a good defense and still a good running game at times. Made the trade for Cooper and now has a wr, a good running game, still a above avg OL and a good defense and his play and numbers have improved.

This I what I dont get, how is it that Wentz is good or great when he has talent around him and gets the excuse when he doesn't? But when Dak is playing good it's the talent around him and when he doesn't have the talent it's on him and he doesnt get the excuse of the talent around him?

erod

Reaction score
Just like the Eagles last year. They had an elite running game and elite defense. Yet Wince got all the credit.

You mean Foles?

Wentz is the opposite of Dak.

Wentz has the physical tools, but lacks the some of the intangibles.

Dak has all the intangibles, but has lesser physical tools.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There should be no question at this point that Dak is not a great quarterback.

However, using Colin's criteria ..

Aikman had trouble winning without Emmitt or Michael on the field, so I guess he was an average quarterback.

Romo had trouble winning without a great running back or receiver, so I guess he was an average quarterback.

While I like Colin and I do agree with several of the things he said about Dak, the bottom line is that the correlation between success and failure for Dak has little to do with a "great" running back and receiver being around him.

What Dak needs to win is very simple. He needs great offensive line play because his biggest weakness is pocket awareness. He also needs receivers capable of stretching the field (and catching passes) to keep defenses from stacking the box. It would also help him greatly if we had an offensive coordinator that was more creative and capable of designing plays and schemes that better fit Dak and this team's strengths.

Most importantly though, Dak needs to avoid turnovers. If Dak doesn't turn that ball over yesterday, the Cowboys would have won by at least 7-10 points without overtime.

As I said, Dak is not a great quarterback, but the Cowboys can win with him.

That said, I would still be looking for another possible future franchise quarterback :D

erod

Reaction score
I'll ask this again, what qbs have won a SB with no talent or very little talent around them?

Since Wince is a popular subject in here and cowherd thinks hes great, I'll use him as an example. His rookie year he was avg without no running game, avg wrs and avg defense. His 2nd year he was mvp candidate with a good running game, good OL, good wrs and a good defense. This year he has lost his running game and defense and his wrs have taken a step back and his play is above avg.

Daks rookie season he played great and was rookie of the year with a good OL, good wrs, good running game and a good defense. His 2nd year he was avg with a banged up OL, a bad defense at times, a avg running game with a suspended rb and a banged up OL. This year he started out with no wr, a banged up and avg OL, a good defense and still a good running game at times. Made the trade for Cooper and now has a wr, a good running game, still a above avg OL and a good defense and his play and numbers have improved.

This I what I dont get, how is it that Wentz is good or great when he has talent around him and gets the excuse when he doesn't? But when Dak is playing good it's the talent around him and when he doesn't have the talent it's on him and he doesnt get the excuse of the talent around him?

Yesterday is your answer.

Dallas had the ball for 45 more plays than Philly. Tons more yards, time of possession, rushing yards, everything.

It should have been a 40-point butt whooping.

And it took a crazy play in overtime to win.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
Just like the Eagles last year. They had an elite running game and elite defense. Yet Wince got all the credit.
They won down the stretch without Wentz. I think it was clear to everyone that Wentz was the beneficiary of a great supporting cast once Foles was able to finish it off. The hype for Wentz was more about his potential in the future and not that he was lighting up defenses week after week.

JustChip

Reaction score
I can preface any criticism by mentioning his hc and oc. neither coach is innovative and that has greatly contributed to a lot of dak's problems. after 3-5, the coaches started coaching for their lives, opened up the playbook, sped up the game and dak's responded well. 5 victories in a row where most said we'd be lucky to win one of the 5 games. he needs to improve on securing the ball, but that can be learned. it's not a hereditary trait. he needs to learn it's ok to just throw it away at times rather than take a sack. he's still learning and improving.

And that's not unique to Dak. EVERY young QB in the NFL has to learn that. It takes some years to get that.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That was an easy schedule as it turned out.

And once the league figured out what Dak didn't like to do, he was quickly solved by season's end.

Now, he's working to solve his deficiencies to back these defenses off. I still don't know why Philly insisted on going one-on-on with Cooper yesterday with those scrap heap corners.

Horrible take.

Prescott tore up Green Bay in the playoff game and you think Prescott was "solved" by the end of the '16 season?

He was good the first half of the '17 season.

Then the wheels fell off. Much of the "credit" for that could be attributed to the performance of the offensive line and the suspension of the Elliott.

ClintDagger

Reaction score

I think Dak is getting criticism because Dallas is winning “ugly” in the minds of the pundits. Last year with Wentz, Philly was hammering people. I think 7 or 8 of Wentz’ 11 wins were blowouts. With Dak it’s the opposite. 7 of the 8 victories are by one possession or less. And in many of those close games Dak is making mistakes or missing opportunities that either lets teams back in games or fails to put them away. That is particularly true in these last four games. So it gives the impression that Dallas is having to win in spite of Dak.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak needs an elite running game, and elite defense, and an elite receiver to be successful.

Dallas had the ball for 45 more plays than Philly. Tons more time of possession.

The Cowboys should have won 40-6 yesterday easily.

What elite defense did he have in '16?

What elite defense did they have last year– yet still posted a winning record?

What elite receiver was there in '16 and the first half of '17?

Love to see you support your argument with some facts now & again.

ESisback

Reaction score
If you can win a SB with Nick Foles in your stretch run, you can win one with Dak. He’s just got to smooth out the edges. Drive killing sacks, missing open guys for TDS, putting the ball on the ground... Those things won’t get it done in LA and / or in NO. But Dak has shown he can avoid those things in short stretches. If he can figure out how to put together 4 quarters of not doing them this team can be scary good.

No one’s saying you can’t win with Dak, just that he can’t carry a team. He needs help, and if you give him all the money, you can’t afford a good enough support system to consistently contend. Look how good Aaron Rodgers is—but his team sucks.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
I’m a big Colin fan. With that said, he’s hitched his wagon this year “to the Cowboy’s will fail b/c of Dak.” Much like SAS, he will ride it till the end of the season to say “I told ya so.”

Regular season is not over and the new season (playoffs) will begin soon. I’m going to enjoy the journey!

ClintDagger

Reaction score
No one’s saying you can’t win with Dak, just that he can’t carry a team. He needs help, and if you give him all the money, you can’t afford a good enough support system to consistently contend. Look how good Aaron Rodgers is—but his team sucks.
Some people are saying you can’t win with him. And some are saying he’s a franchise guy. I’m just saying he’s somewhere in between. And I agree with your post.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowherd underestimates Dak’s play on the field. And as good as the RB and the defense has been, the protection this year has been poor. We’ve seen what having Cooper has done for Dak’s numbers. Another legitimate weapon in the passing game would probably kick things up another notch.

I do agree that Dak’s the kind of guy who might be self aware enough to take a reasonable deal on his extension.

erod

Reaction score
What elite defense did he have in '16?

What elite defense did they have last year– yet still posted a winning record?

What elite receiver was there in '16 and the first half of '17?

Love to see you support your argument with some facts now & again.

In '16, they caught an easy schedule, then got beat in the playoffs by a team that was behind, 31-0, the next week early in the game because their entire secondary and linebacker corp was decimated.

Last year, when he led the NFL in pick-sixes, he barely beat the Eagles' third-stringers to get that meaningless 9th win. Six touchdowns and 9 interceptions in the last eight games. Dreadful.

There you go.