Greatest WR the cowboys have had

FalseStart75Pozderac

Reaction score
Irv
Hayes
Pearson
TO
Dez

I like this list, but I think Tony Hill deserves to be in the top 5. He had a longer run as being an elite receiver than Dez, and longevity in a cowboy uniform over the 3 year stretch of TO make me want to include Hill.

hmmmmm........Replace Dez with Hill at #5

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The thread is about who you think was the greatest WR to play on the cowboys. Not who had the longest or greatest career with them, but the most skilled WR to put on the cowboys uniform.

I am only 38, but I do not think there has been anyone I have watched as good as T.O. He out ran, out muscled, out routed, got yak, had long td's, caught balls over the middle, and did it all at a high level. He would consistently get spacing behind and to the side of db's.

TO and it’s not close.

nathanlt

Reaction score
TO is disqualified from this list because he stood on the star in Texas stadium and mocked the fan base while in a 49er uniform.

After that note, I'd have to say it's too close to call... so many talented receivers. Drew Pearson and Michael Irvin were legendary, beyond what Dez or CeeDee have achieved. I didn't get to see Bob Hayes, but I know he changed the game with his ridiculous, world class speed.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Obviously TO

He was still a great receiver when he was with the Cowboys but a little past his prime. He had been around for 10 years and the Cowboys won nothing with him. Some have TO ranked in the top 5 greatest WRs of all time. TO and Lance Alworth are the two highest ranked WRs the Cowboys have had but I’m going to choose a WR who played for the Cowboys in their prime that helped them win championships and that would be Michael Irvin. Not even TO had seasons in Dallas as productive as Irvin. Michael Irvin got it done in the regular season and in the playoffs. His playoff numbers are off the charts.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Well put it this way.
Michael Irvin was the only WR that beat the player who is considered one of the best if not the best CB ever, Deion Sanders. And he did it consistently.
Maybe a few a few of you heard of him. :laugh:

And before Deion he consistently beat Darrell Green, who was the Deion before Deion.

Man, Irvin owned Darrell Green, for sure.
Irvin is the best Cowboys WR.
TO was the most physically gifted.
Bullet Bob was a literal game changer.
The tiebreaker between Hayes and Irvin goes to the Playmaker.
Why? Because there's no way Michael Irvin would ever run routes
with his hands wrapped in his jersey, like Bob did in the Ice Bowl.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Always find it comical when the topic has legit debate and someone makes their choice and says "and it isn't close"
:rolleyes:

Big_D

Reaction score
Michael Irvin. He was physical and a beast at the point of attack. Went and got the ball with authority. That quick slant was amazing even when you knew it was coming.

Flamma

Reaction score
The thread is about who you think was the greatest WR to play on the cowboys. Not who had the longest or greatest career with them, but the most skilled WR to put on the cowboys uniform.

I am only 38, but I do not think there has been anyone I have watched as good as T.O. He out ran, out muscled, out routed, got yak, had long td's, caught balls over the middle, and did it all at a high level. He would consistently get spacing behind and to the side of db's.

I'm 55, so I've seen more WRs but I agree with you. He's the WR that immediately came to mind when I read the title of your post. The dude had off the charts talent. A close second is Drew Pearson. That guy made some crazy clutch catches, and didn't drop many. I like Irvin too.

I can't comment on Bob Hayes as I was too young when he played. But for all we know, he may have been the best. He had crazy speed from what I hear during a time when the competition wasn't as good as it is today. Sort of like Babe Ruth in baseball. When he hit 60 home runs, no other team combined for 60 home runs. So I won't argue with anyone that says Bob Hayes. But for the WRs I've watched, T.O.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
most talented? With all due respect to a lot of Cowboy greats, I'd have to say T.O.

Irv is a close second though. If T.O. could have controlled his demons like Irv, his career would have been even more stellar.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Mike Irvin

Time

Reaction score
Since the OP specified "most skilled" I would have to say Lance Alworth. Even though he was on the downside of his career the years he played for the Cowboys he was the most skilled.

If the question is best as a Cowboy I agree with Irvin / Hayes / Pearson / TO.