Greatest WR the cowboys have had

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
I could never consider TO as a Cowboys WR. To me the guy was more of a mercenary whose talent as a receiver was entire overshadowed by his penchant for being an absolute cancer in the locker room.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
I could never consider TO as a Cowboys WR. To me the guy was more of a mercenary whose talent as a receiver was entire overshadowed by his penchant for being an absolute cancer in the locker room.

I hate TO at least for the first season he was a Cowboy. When he was on the Eagles he was the Player I hated the most in the NFL on the team that I hated the most. But he has played here long enough and created good memories that I do consider him a Cowboy. I wasn't sorry to see him go because he was being cancerous again and Miles Austin at his peak was a better combo with romo than TO. To bad Miles star burned fast.

NorthoftheRedRiver

Reaction score
I was first going to say M. Irvin. But then I searched the archives and stat books and confirmed that only one Cowboys' receiver ever landed Joey Heatherton.

So, it's Lance Rentzel.

Joey-Heatherton-with-her-ex-husband.jpg

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The thread is about who you think was the greatest WR to play on the cowboys. Not who had the longest or greatest career with them, but the most skilled WR to put on the cowboys uniform.

I am only 38, but I do not think there has been anyone I have watched as good as T.O. He out ran, out muscled, out routed, got yak, had long td's, caught balls over the middle, and did it all at a high level. He would consistently get spacing behind and to the side of db's.
I can't believe this is even a question.

Mike Irvin hands down.

One of the most "cluth" players ever. We saw how Amari Cooper wilted in the playoff game. Irvin always stepped up to the challenge. The bigger the game the better.

He is the only WR that Deion struggled to cover and there is zero doubt that Deion was the best CB ever.

If you add in Irvin's contributions as the emotional leader of 3 Super Bowl winning teams, then he distances himself ever further from the pack.

Tip of the cap to Bob Hayes. In his first 2 seasons NFL defenses were completely unprepared for his speed; however for his career overall he waa a bit of a 1 trick pony.

If the question was about pure physical ability, not accomplishments then Amari Cooper has to be in the discussion. His ability to change direction and get in/out of breaks might be the best ever for a WR over 6' tall. If he had Mike Irvin's competitive drive he could have been an all time great player.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Going by the terms laid out by the OP, it's Terrell Owens. T.O. is a top-three receiver in NFL history, right behind Rice and Moss--and stats say that him and Moss are so close that they might as well be tied for second best.

starfan1

Reaction score
Irving
Pearson
TO
Dez
Bob Hayes
Butch Johnson
Tony Hill
Terry Glenn
Amari Cooper
& Noah Brown. :laugh:
I got to tell you I’ve been pleasantly surprised by Noah! He’s improved a lot as a route runner and receiver and I’m glad we got him.

as much as I despise all things OSU I support this kid

Creeper

Reaction score
This is a tough one because players from different eras are so hard to compare. Michael Irvin and Drew Pearson were the two most clutch WRs who ever played for Dallas. Bob Hayes was probably the biggest threat as a WR. If Hayes played today, with the rules being what they are and the passing game being so prominent, he might hold all the Cowboys records. Hayes literally changed the way defenses played.

I love Irvin for his enthusiasm and passion for the game. I like Pearson for his dependability and hands. I have to go with one of them but don't make me choose.

I don't see Dez Bryant as one of the top WRs Dallas has ever had, but his 73 TDs as a Cowboy is impressive. The problem with Dez is he seemed to drop off a cliff early in his career. His last couple of years he couldn't get open. His career was relatively short compared to some of the great NFL WRs.

Big_D

Reaction score
I can't believe this is even a question.

Mike Irvin hands down.

One of the most "cluth" players ever. We saw how Amari Cooper wilted in the playoff game. Irvin always stepped up to the challenge. The bigger the game the better.

He is the only WR that Deion struggled to cover and there is zero doubt that Deion was the best CB ever.

If you add in Irvin's contributions as the emotional leader of 3 Super Bowl winning teams, then he distances himself ever further from the pack.

Tip of the cap to Bob Hayes. In his first 2 seasons NFL defenses were completely unprepared for his speed; however for his career overall he waa a bit of a 1 trick pony.

If the question was about pure physical ability, not accomplishments then Amari Cooper has to be in the discussion. His ability to change direction and get in/out of breaks might be the best ever for a WR over 6' tall. If he had Mike Irvin's competitive drive he could have been an all time great player.

Amari Cooper is not in the conversation! That’s hilarious!

it’s odd how Cowboy fans put zero stock in playoff football or what a player was capable of with the pressure on..

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Amari Cooper is not in the conversation! That’s hilarious!

it’s odd how Cowboy fans put zero stock in playoff football or what a player was capable of with the pressure on..
Try actually reading the post...

blueblood70

Reaction score
The thread is about who you think was the greatest WR to play on the cowboys. Not who had the longest or greatest career with them, but the most skilled WR to put on the cowboys uniform.

I am only 38, but I do not think there has been anyone I have watched as good as T.O. He out ran, out muscled, out routed, got yak, had long td's, caught balls over the middle, and did it all at a high level. He would consistently get spacing behind and to the side of db's.

Hard to pick one weve had 10 Great ones. but ill do a tie but tie breaker, Homegrown trumps short term FA Acquistions.
Homegrown=Irvin
Hired gun-TO

you are correct Romo to TO was incredible to watch.

kskboys

Reaction score

Irvin, and it's not close.

Big_D

Reaction score
Try actually reading the post...

“physical ability” LOL save that garbage. Who knew fans would be so mystified by route running while stats are just unnecessary? lmao

blueblood70

Reaction score
most talented? With all due respect to a lot of Cowboy greats, I'd have to say T.O.

Irv is a close second though. If T.O. could have controlled his demons like Irv, his career would have been even more stellar.
demons?? the guy didn't drink or a party at all was very health conscious and was into shape 100% of the time. you call being drama queens like many diva WRs including Irving and Dez , that demon? no thats common. throw me the damn Ball Keyshon says it all.

TO never got in trouble or had bad press for demons LOL just sideline antics.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
“physical ability” LOL save that garbage. Who knew fans would be so mystified by route running while stats are just unnecessary? lmao
Again, read the post. I said if accomplishments were not considered.

It's a criticism of Cooper not a compliment. I'm calling him a massive underachiever.

Also read the comment about what if Cooper had Mike Irvin's competitive drive.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score

Turpin

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score

It's a criticism of Cooper not a compliment. I'm calling him a massive underachiever.

Cooper is 20x better than Beta “sheep” Lamb

Stak78

Reaction score
I’d say Michael Irvin was the greatest Cowboy Wide Receiver legacy wise. Three Super Bowl rings. He was everything the Cowboys needed him to be.

Dez Bryant was ridiculously good for a short period. But just like Roy Williams (safety) his star burned so bright early he burned out early and that somehow tainted their legacy.

TO was probably the most talented of the three. However, the success was mostly short lived and never really got us anywhere. He was fun to watch though.

blueblood70

Reaction score

I agree Cooper was a very good at times a great WR that never achieved what his talent says he should..he was content being an average #1 ..his number were never impressive, not one-year in the nfl was anything but what you expect a 1 to be. Hes nowhere near one of our top 10 best WRs. he could have been elite but was NOT..