Greeny, I want to be paid!

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Yea but you initially weren't crediting the Chiefs as a nice team. Not until I responded they were a playoff caliber team when Mahomes arrived.
huh? Chiefs were NOTHING..... they were just a decent playoff team. That gets you jack in the NFL. They were 11-5 one year and could be 8-8 the next. Mahomes took them to a whole new level.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Coaching is a bit overrated in the NFL, it’s far more important at the lower levels of football where you have to put mostly inferior athletes in positions to best utilize the abilities they do have. The NFL is a two step algorithm: Do you have a Pro Bowl or All-Pro caliber QB, and do you have at least an average defense. If the answer is yes to both, you’re probably a contender. A good coach can make a bad team average or a good team great, but nobody is winning a SB without a good QB unless they have an incredible defense (which are becoming rarer and rarer).
What a clueless comment.
Tell New England fans coaching is over rated. I bet 90% of NE fans would rather have had Belicheat, than Brady, if they could only have one of them.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
huh? Chiefs were NOTHING..... they were just a decent playoff team. That gets you jack in the NFL. They were 11-5 one year and could be 8-8 the next. Mahomes took them to a whole new level.
Yes he did which I stated in an earlier post. But they weren’t nothing. They were a playoff caliber team.

They were 12-4 the year before Mahomes was drafted. And had two 11-5 seasons two out of the three seasons before that . I’d call that a playoff caliber team.

Did Mahomes take them to a new level. Of course.

But it’s not like some Elite QB’s who go to teams needing a complete rebuilding and a few years to become contenders. I’d argue going to a playoff caliber team enhanced his ability for instant success.

Last edited:

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Yes he did which I stated in an earlier post. But they weren’t nothing. They were a playoff caliber team.

They were 12-4 the year before Mahomes was drafted. And had two 11-5 seasons two out of the three seasons before that . I’d call that a playoff caliber team.

Did Mahomes take them to a new level. Of course.

But it’s not like some Elite QB’s who go to teams needing a complete rebuilding and a few years to become contenders. I’d argue going to a playoff caliber team enhanced his ability for instant success.
I agree with all you said. It was obviously easier for Mahomes than it will be for say..... Lawrence going to the Jags... BUGT, watch how the Jags go from garbage to legit contender fairly quickly.

The Jags have a WR, DJ Chark..... hes pretty solid. Watch how quickly he will go from solid to one of the elite wr in the entire NFL. I predict it could even happen this upcoming season.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I agree with all you said. It was obviously easier for Mahomes than it will be for say..... Lawrence going to the Jags... BUGT, watch how the Jags go from garbage to legit contender fairly quickly.

The Jags have a WR, DJ Chark..... hes pretty solid. Watch how quickly he will go from solid to one of the elite wr in the entire NFL. I predict it could even happen this upcoming season.
umm big IF TL is not a lock to be elite especially not his rookie year.. that big leap IMHO..lots of better prospects didnt do well their rookie year..

Diehardblues

Reaction score
umm big IF TL is not a lock to be elite especially not his rookie year.. that big leap IMHO..lots of better prospects didnt do well their rookie year..
Yea, these QB’s who come from Elite programs surrounded in most cases by much greater talent than their opposition often struggle when making the leap facing opponents with more talent than them.

But Jags had 4 of the first 45 picks with 2 in the first round solidifying their offensive backfield . And Urban is an asset I’d include too. Jags should be improved this year but I wouldn’t look for huge gains for couple years. But winning 5 , 6 or 7 games is huge improvement from 1-15.

And it won’t be easy overtaking Titans and Colts in their division either. Realistically I’d give Urban 2 or 3 drafts to shape that team more in his vision.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
What a clueless comment.
Tell New England fans coaching is over rated. I bet 90% of NE fans would rather have had Belicheat, than Brady, if they could only have one of them.
sure, and this last season.... when Brady went out and won a SB with a team that had missed the playoffs in like the previous 10 seasons while Billy Boy was coaching his *** off to a 7-9 season is proof how much they would prefer Billy Boy over Tom Terrific. smh

Reid1boys

Reaction score
agree it is not a lock... but these QBs do not come out of college like they did in the 80s. Look at these guys that step in and immediately start tearing it up. Burrows was awesome last year for a weak Bengals team. The Chargers hit the Jackpot and Justin Herbert was amazing in his very first start and is already elite in my book. Lawrence hit the college scene and was immediately the best QB in college. EVERYBODY knew his Freshman year he was going to be the top pick in this last draft.

Not a lock in the NFL, nothing is, but would it surprise anyone if Lawrence kicks butt this year? Nope

TWOK11

Reaction score
What a clueless comment.

How many SBs does Belicheck win with an average QB?

How many SBs does Brady win with an average coach?

Thanks for playing

plasticman

Reaction score
And yet, Rodger's only Super Bowl was the year that the Packers had the #2 defense in the league when Clay Mathews was a 1st team All Pro and three out of four defensive backs were Pro Bowlers.

An elite quarterback will get you only so far but it won't take you all the way. If it did then Rodgers would be a multiple SB quarterback which he isn't.

The same would go for Dan Marino, Fran Tarkenton, Jim Kelly, and Dan Fouts, all elite HOF quarterbacks with a combined grand total of zero SB championships.

Even Rodgers concedes this. Otherwise, why leave? He's looking for a stacked team that has everything but a capable QB.

TWOK11

Reaction score
And yet, Rodger's only Super Bowl was the year that the Packers had the #2 defense in the league when Clay Mathews was a 1st team All Pro and three out of four defensive backs were Pro Bowlers.

An elite quarterback will get you only so far but it won't take you all the way. If it did then Rodgers would be a multiple SB quarterback which he isn't.

The same would go for Dan Marino, Fran Tarkenton, Jim Kelly, and Dan Fouts, all elite HOF quarterbacks with a combined grand total of zero SB championships.

Even Rodgers concedes this. Otherwise, why leave? He's looking for a stacked team that has everything but a capable QB.

The formula to win a SB is good to great QB play + having a defense at least in the top half of the league. You can count the number of SB champions who didnt have both of these qualities on one hand, and every SB champion had at least one of them.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
sure, and this last season.... when Brady went out and won a SB with a team that had missed the playoffs in like the previous 10 seasons while Billy Boy was coaching his *** off to a 7-9 season is proof how much they would prefer Billy Boy over Tom Terrific. smh
You’re clueless. All as Tom needed to be was a bus driver in Tampa Bays playoff run. He drove the bus, and made a few plays, and didn’t make to many mistakes( though he did have 3 ints. in the Super Bowl ). Tampa Bay’s defense was the main reason they won the Super Bowl. They manhandled Aaron Rogers and Patrick Mahomes in two consecutive playoff games.

As great as Belicheat is he could not overcome his way below average roster due to salary cap restraints, and a league leading number of players sitting out the season with Covid concerns.
I will say most people, who really understand football would take Belicheat over Brady. Brady only plays on one side of the ball. Belicheat prepares EVERY facet of the team. He consistently puts his player into position to make plays, and coaches his teams to play smart and not beat themselves. He plays chess while other coaches are playing checkers!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
How many SBs does Belicheck win with an average QB?

How many SBs does Brady win with an average coach?

Thanks for playing
Tampa Bay has a excellent Defensive Coordinator and their average HC had a stacked lineup throughout, especially on Defense.

Cebrin

Reaction score
Greeny today was talking (well its what he does) and I swear he must have been reading my posts. He was saying how he doesnt want to hear about the talent the Packers have put around Rodgers. He said that QBs like Rodgers have put all those surrounding players kids' in private schools. That it is RODGERS that made the pack good, and if you put an avg QB on the pack that team would be 7-9.

Hello.... its what Ive been saying fopr years. These GMs, coaches, WRs, RBs...... they are fall within that bell shaped curve. Theya re all good, but none are significantly better than anyone else..... uneil the HOF QB is on the roster. Then all of the sudden that coach is just a little bit smarter than the others. That GM is just a little bit better.... those scouts are just a little bit better...... and.. here it is.......... The owner must be great. He must not get involved. He hires coaches and lets them coach.... bahahahahhahahahahahahhah

QB, it starts and ends right there and it was absolutely proven beyond any doubt last season when a 72 year old Tom Brady joined a Bucs team that had been below avg for a very long time went out and won a SB, AGAIN!

Those summer coaching classes that Arians took last year must have really paid off. Hes great!
I'd put made money down that if Pat had his starting tackles, they'd have banged on the Bucs.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

in all those years Marino, Tarkenton, Kellly and Fouts didnt win a SB title, look at the QB that did win.... elite. You make it like there is only 1 guy thats elite. There are 6 per year that are elite. Very good chance 1 of those 6 win almost every year.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Tampa Bay has a excellent Defensive Coordinator and their average HC had a stacked lineup throughout, especially on Defense.
wasnt Nolan an excellent D coordinator? Now we have Quinn, isnt he an excellent d coordinator? Wasnt Richards an excellent d coordinator? hmmm.......... lots of excellent d coordinators it seems