News: Greg Hardy To Visit Cowboys Tuesday / Stephen Jones says with intent to sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

agk136

Reaction score
http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sports/...-obstacles-to-overcome-to-get-a-deal-done.ece

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
If he signs, has there been a bigger free agent pickup since TO? Carr was more a need overpayment than a high end talent, and beyond that I can't think of anyone. Prior to TO I may have to go all the way back to Deion, though I'm sure I'm forgetting a player or three

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Yeah.. That's what I'm saying.. My point is.... let's pretend he did play the whole season last year. There's no guarantee that he would have performed equally or better than he did the previous 2 seasons. Hence, how does he merit an increase on his second tag when he only played one game on the first? -smh

Idk.. fuzzy math to me. I don't foresee this situation ever happening, but if it does and there isn't a rule in place regarding how many games a player has to play in order for the tag to be effective, I'm sure it will be revisited by the rules committee once all the hubbub starts.

the league should be a what you will do for me situation. it should not be a what have you done for me lately situation. that is how you get in trouble and pay age.

he is 26, uninjured and demonstrated the ability to dominate NFL OT. That is right up there with dominant QB and OT in rarity. scarcity defines the market blah blah blah economics cliche.

the rule committee doesn't oversee that type of thing. its collectively bargained with the union and as far as they are concerned if you are going to dictate where a man is going to live and work, his salary had best be guaranteed. the potential for abuse is obvious and I don't see the owners asking for much less receiving such a concession. the franchise tag is the last thing they have held onto after a history of Plan B and various other protected player collusion schemes. the fact that the players cannot choose where they work like most Americans is a point of contention that the players have argued and won with repeatedly in federal court. it's about freedom.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
If he signs, has there been a bigger free agent pickup since TO? Carr was more a need overpayment than a high end talent, and beyond that I can't think of anyone. Prior to TO I may have to go all the way back to Deion, though I'm sure I'm forgetting a player or three

La'Roi Glover

Kaiser

Reaction score

Its obvious from the timing of this push for Hardy (after the first wave of FAs but before the NFL announces his suspension, if any) that the Cowboys had already done their due diligence on Hardy, the legal case, etc. They would be incompetent if they hadn't and from this push it seems clear that there is nothing from the court case that they think is an issue.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

Leonard Davis -OG 2007 7/49m 18m guaranteed

USMarineVet

Reaction score
Its obvious from the timing of this push for Hardy (after the first wave of FAs but before the NFL announces his suspension, if any) that the Cowboys had already done their due diligence on Hardy, the legal case, etc. They would be incompetent if they hadn't and from this push it seems clear that there is nothing from the court case that they think is an issue.

I can see the Cowboys signing him in either case scenario. Even if he is suspended for 4 - 6 games the contract will be structured in such a way that he only gets paid for games he plays. Suspension or no suspension, the time is NOW to get their hooks in him and secure one of the most dominant pass rushers in the game for (hopefully)years to come.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
This is sure a lot of fanfare for a non-event. Hardy could easily leave on a plane for Seattle tomorrow. Until pen meets paper the Cowboys have the same shot at Hardy as thirty-one other teams - and less cap space than most of those thirty-one.

This could be little more than Hardy's attempt to reignite his value on the open market coming off of a career-threatening off-field incident.

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
Leonard Davis -OG 2007 7/49m 18m guaranteed

I don't necessarily mean in terms of contract size, more along the lines of impact player. Davis was solid, but underwhelming in Arizona (?) as a tackle despite being a high draft pick. So there wasn't a huge amount of buzz from what I remember, though he definitely helped solidify the interior of that line with Kosier and Gurode

Wolf2k5

Reaction score
This is sure a lot of fanfare for a non-event. Hardy could easily leave on a plane for Seattle tomorrow. Until pen meets paper the Cowboys have the same shot at Hardy as thirty-one other teams - and less cap space than most of those thirty-one.

This could be little more than Hardy's attempt to reignite his value on the open market coming off of a career-threatening off-field incident.

Well he's in Dallas w/ Jerry and Stephen offering him what will turn out to be lots of $ AND were assuming they want him. I think our chances at this point are slightly better

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Well he's in Dallas w/ Jerry and Stephen offering him what will turn out to be lots of $ AND were assuming they want him. I think our chances at this point are slightly better

I don't think you can assume the amount of money Dallas is offering. It would pretty much HAVE to be a backloaded contract.

Hey, I'd love to be wrong. I hope I am.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
I can't support this. Just because what he did cant be 100% proven legally he obviously did enough that he wasn't pleading his innocence the whole year.

I can't support players who attack women and throw them on guns. If this is any more than 3-4 mil a year it'll be a sad statement of society.

I get the league is win at all costs and from a business perspective it might be the right thing to do but as a fan it shows how far the NFL is falling.

DGB is about to be a top 20 pick and he threw a woman down stairs

You know, I was thinking about this today. There are only so many players in the NFL at any given time. And the amount of criminal activity, domestic violence, etc etc, seems to be out of control, when compared to general public. Take any random number of people from the general public and compare their records to players in the NFL.

Does football attract these types? Does football encourage this behavior? Is it the money?

I dont know, but it seems like every player in the NFL is "under investigation", or arrested at some point. DV, rape, sexual misconduct, drugs. etc etc.
I know they have programs to warn and educate them about being in the NFL, I would suggest evaluating just how successful that training is.....?

These guys are young, and they are idolized and they are making boatloads of money. Big Egos....
Recipe for bad things. I think organizations need to do a better job of educating these guys.....Show them. Tell them. Make it part of the requirements of their contract to go to these classes. I mean, JJ has to hire baby sitters for crying out loud! If i ever had to hire a baby sitter for an employee to ensure he doesn't get into trouble. I don't think I would employ them!! but hey, thats just me.

Last edited:

AzorAhai

Reaction score
I was just thinking about the local and national media attention this is getting. Its been a 90+ page thread with dozens of articles, several dozen tweets and a lot of speculation. How crazy is it with all that and every local media member covering this, some random HS baseball coach broke the news that Hardy was flying into Dallas.

Status
Not open for further replies.