News: Gregory files for reinstatement

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’ll be glad when we officially move on from him. Complete waste of time and talent.
In 2018 he played in 14 games, recording 25 combined tackles, six sacks (second on the team), and two forced fumbles. The Cowboys had a 6-0 win record in games where Gregory registered a sack.

Perhaps you call that kind of production "complete waste of time and talent" but I'll take as many DE's as I can that would give me that over 14 games. Especially given McCarthy's comments about the DL.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
In 2018 he played in 14 games, recording 25 combined tackles, six sacks (second on the team), and two forced fumbles. The Cowboys had a 6-0 win record in games where Gregory registered a sack.

Perhaps you call that kind of production "complete waste of time and talent" but I'll take as many DE's as I can that would give me that over 14 games. Especially given McCarthy's comments about the DL.

He’s shown flashes but the point is he’s missed more games than he’s played over his 5 year career due to drug suspensions. He was on the active roster for only 28 games in 5 seasons. He was a high second round pick and we’ve gotten very little out of him in five seasons. If the Cowboys knew he would spend more time suspended than on the active roster they would have never drafted him. He’s wasted five years of his career in rehab battling a pot addiction.

Creeper

Reaction score
Gregory can be better than Quinn. There. I said it. The reason is Gregory plays the run better, or he did when he was eligible to play. If he's clean and actually makes football a priority (which means he prepares physically and mentally to play) I think he will surprise people with how good he can be. However, after a full year out of football and considering he was suspended for more games before that, I am skeptical that he is ready to play again and that he will be focused on playing football. I hope he proves me wrong because he is supposedly a good guy with some personal issues.

ESisback

Reaction score
Thought he did that last year and never got a answer back.

Hey Glimm, what if we got Gregory AND Irving back? Then picked up Billings and drafted a DT!

Think we could win this DL: Lawrence, Quinn, Woods, Collins, Billings, Irving, Gregory, Armstrong, Jackson, draft pick?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Frank Clark was taken three picks after Gregory in 2015. He’s had 43 sacks including two double digit sack seasons. He had 13 sacks in 2018. He’s had 2 career INT’s and 11 forced fumbles. Compare that to what we’ve gotten out of Gregory the past five seasons.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We passed up some good players in 2015 for a player who has to file for reinstatement every year.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Best wishes to Randy Gregory, may the stars align for you. Folks, I hope you understand Gregory is dealing with much bigger demons than a weed addiction. He's been diagnosed with a bipolar disorder that apparently most of you are oblivious to. It's a confusing state of mind that makes everyday living a nightmare without proper care and assistance. Mental illness is nothing to dismiss or joke about. If he can find his way back to football again, it will be an amazing accomplishment.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Danielle Hunter was another player we passed up for Randy Gregory. He was taken 28 picks after Gregory. We could’ve traded down for Hunter who’s had 54.5 career sacks including back to back 14.5 sack seasons in 2018 and 2019 for Minnesota. One of the big reasons the Vikings have been so good on defense.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

You may want to focus on 14 games during the 2018 season but I’m looking at his 5 year career. We all know he had great potential had he not spent most of his time suspended in rehab. Are you satisfied with what we’ve gotten out of him the past 5 years and do you think he was worth a second round pick?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was a high second round pick
That's where your wrong again.

NFL Draft: 2015

Round: 2

Pick: 60

That's a very low 2nd round pick. Only 5 picks later and he wold have been a 3rd rounder.
Are you satisfied with what we’ve gotten out of him the past 5 years and do you think he was worth a second round pick?
No but that's not the point. Under the new CBA he won't be suspended any more. So he can play and when he has recently he's done pretty good. Was he worth a late 2nd round pick? I'll let you know when his career is over when we can properly evaluate his accomplishments.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That's where your wrong again.

NFL Draft: 2015

Round: 2

Pick: 60

That's a very low 2nd round pick. Only 5 picks later and he wold have been a 3rd rounder.

No but that's not the point. Under the new CBA he won't be suspended any more. So he can play and when he has recently he's done pretty good. Was he worth a late 2nd round pick? I'll let you know when his career is over when we can properly evaluate his accomplishments.

I thought he went higher in the second round than he did but regardless we passed up a couple of DEs including Danielle Hunter who have had much better careers. Gregory has wasted enough of his career to where he’ll never live up to his second round draft selection. He wasted his best years being suspended. His development has been severely stunted from repeated drug suspensions. He chose pot over football.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
He’s shown flashes but the point is he’s missed more games than he’s played over his 5 year career due to drug suspensions. He was on the active roster for only 28 games in 5 seasons. He was a high second round pick and we’ve gotten very little out of him in five seasons. If the Cowboys knew he would spend more time suspended than on the active roster they would have never drafted him. He’s wasted five years of his career in rehab battling a pot addiction.
Clueless.

Whatever fits your narrative.......5 years for "pot" addiction.

If you insist on desecrating a person you know NOTHING about at least do the homework.

Say pot again......takes me back to the 50's.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Hey Glimm, what if we got Gregory AND Irving back? Then picked up Billings and drafted a DT!

Think we could win this DL: Lawrence, Quinn, Woods, Collins, Billings, Irving, Gregory, Armstrong, Jackson, draft pick?
Yes please. Do you know how good our secondary would look. A opposing QB would have about 2 seconds. We would live in there back field. I do think we are drafting a good DT. I think Quinn comes back and if the new CBA goes through then we may get Gregory and Irving. But Irving better behave and practice, I don’t think MM is playing around.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I don’t think it was ever officially announced he applied. Just some media / fans saying it.
Ok. For some reason I thought he applied but he applied later than we thought he should have. And he still had the season as a suspension. It was a indefinite suspension so I assumed he wasn’t gonna hear anything last season.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Beat me to it.......remember hearing at the last min he didn't feel he was quite ready or something like that. IDK......bottom line, the dude hasn't played in what 2-3 years. Honestly, it's probably best we proceed as if he's NOT coming back.
I agree. If that or Irving happens it’s a plus. And if the CBA goes through we won’t have to worry about them failing for weed. But Irving has been suspended for roids before. Gregory will be to old to play soon. Lol. Last I saw he was in great shape and practicing at a college facility.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Ok. As of 10 hours ago Gregory applied for reinstatement. Or that was when it was reported by blogging the boys and sports illustrated and bleacher report.