News: Gregory to submit plan to NFL on Monday for reinstatement

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
I think even if they let him back he would be suspended at least 10 games. But not sure he comes back.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well we need something different than the Day threads. So how about about another Gregory thread. :laugh:

I been on the road the past week, so not sure when this came out or has been posted. It is about 3 days old.

https://1053thefan.radio.com/articl...instatement-nfl-monday-specific-proposed-plan

The rumor that I've heard a few times is that he missed a test as opposed to actually failing one.

They generally consider missed the same as failed but Gregory's issue occured in Feb. which is the off-season. I'm sure missed tests happen much more often in the off-season when players are away from the team structure.

I find the requirement to be tested in the off-season absurd.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think even if they let him back he would be suspended at least 10 games. But not sure he comes back.

There will be injuries by then and it's easy to find a roster spot later in the season even if the injuries were not on the DL.

A player with fresh legs and that's not dinged up can be a nice boost, especially at a position like DL where there is a rotation. If they're in the playoffs it's even better because many players are worn down by then.

GenoT

Reaction score
The rumor that I've heard a few times is that he missed a test as opposed to actually failing one.

They generally consider missed the same as failed but Gregory's issue occured in Feb. which is the off-season. I'm sure missed tests happen much more often in the off-season when players are away from the team structure.

I find the requirement to be tested in the off-season absurd.

Not absurd if you consider Gregory’s history.

When you’re a several-times repeat offender, like RG is, you’re subject to testing at the league’s discretion — and that includes the offseason.

quickccc

Reaction score

the point that he stands a chance of being reinstated or suspension drastically reduced prior to the season may say much about how the league feels gregory
is being seen and evaluated by the league in account for his bi polar medical condition ...and how hard an effort the league considers he has made thru this process.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The application will include an update on Gregory's process as a result of his in-depth treatment in behavioral and substance-abuse clinics and will feature a continuing "personal responsibility'' plan that will likely have him living with family members in DFW.

It is possible that Gregory's parents will continue to be so supportive of him that they will permanently move from their native Michigan to reside in North Texas to help guide him, one source said, all part of what Gregory's submission to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will be termed his "reliability partner'' program.
Playing in this regular season is a goal, of course. But Gregory, sources tell us, is willing to suggest to commissioner Goodell that his return to football be a gradual one and a "conditional'' one.
Interesting stuff right there. Especially the second quote.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Well we need something different than the Day threads. So how about about another Gregory thread. :laugh:

I been on the road the past week, so not sure when this came out or has been posted. It is about 3 days old.

https://1053thefan.radio.com/articl...instatement-nfl-monday-specific-proposed-plan
I can tell you first hand that the Cowboys basically had a live in baby sitter watching RG while he was suspended. NO tmuch different than discussed in that article. I am wondering though, how the hell is his parents living with him supposed to help. Wasnt his childhodd total ****? Wasnt it those same parents that cause dit to be such crap yo begin with? so how are they supposed to help him get better?

Im rooting like hell for the guy. I got to sit with him for 4 hours watching football 2years ago and he was super friendly to us.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not absurd if you consider Gregory’s history.

When you’re a several-times repeat offender, like RG is, you’re subject to testing at the league’s discretion — and that includes the offseason.

I know the rules.

From a big picture perspective players are off the clock in late Feb. They should have the opportunity to get completely away from football.

If I'm on vacation from work and want to live in a remote cabin then that should be my prerogative; however it wouldn't be possible to get drug tested there.

There are limits on what an employer can require from employees. Anything that does not impact their job is questionable in that regard.

A company can't require a male employee to wear women's clothes unless that's part of his job (show business, etc.). They can have a dress code because unprofessional attire can affect the company. They can test for drugs because drugs usage can affect the employees work performance and could endanger other people.

There is a very weak argument that smoking Weed in late Feb. could affect an NFL player's job. They could say that it impacts a players health which could affect them during the season but that's a stretch with regards to Weed. The fact that Weed is still not 100% legal keeps it from being challenged but it's a borderline civil liberties issue otherwise if there is zero possibility that smoking Weed in late Feb. could impact the players job.

I haven't smoked Weed in 20 years; therefore companies testing for it does not really impact me; however, anytime people's personal liberties are impacted by corporations everyone should be concerned.

dogberry

Reaction score
Remote cabin, cruise ship, back packing across India, random-unplanned bicycle trip in Russia...are all of these prohibited by the drug testing regimen?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t know if it’s accurate or not, but I’ve heard a report he just accidentally missed an appointment with his counselor this time around. Not a missed or failed test. It feels to me like he’s likely to be available for most of the season. That’s just my hunch.

GenoT

Reaction score
I know the rules.

From a big picture perspective players are off the clock in late Feb. They should have the opportunity to get completely away from football.

If I'm on vacation from work and want to live in a remote cabin then that should be my prerogative; however it wouldn't be possible to get drug tested there.

There are limits on what an employer can require from employees. Anything that does not impact their job is questionable in that regard.

A company can't require a male employee to wear women's clothes unless that's part of his job (show business, etc.). They can have a dress code because unprofessional attire can affect the company. They can test for drugs because drugs usage can affect the employees work performance and could endanger other people.

There is a very weak argument that smoking Weed in late Feb. could affect an NFL player's job. They could say that it impacts a players health which could affect them during the season but that's a stretch with regards to Weed. The fact that Weed is still not 100% legal keeps it from being challenged but it's a borderline civil liberties issue otherwise if there is zero possibility that smoking Weed in late Feb. could impact the players job.

I haven't smoked Weed in 20 years; therefore companies testing for it does not really impact me; however, anytime people's personal liberties are impacted by corporations everyone should be concerned.
Be that all as it may...

RG still managed to violate the rules per the current CBA, which he agreed to follow when he signed his first contract and became a member of the NFLPA, and is therefore subject to discipline under said rules.

I’ve smoked for over 50yrs and will continue to do so, but then I happen to be a musician and am under no professional obligation to refrain from smoking. I agree 100% about personal liberties, however, if/when you agree to give up certain liberties in order to enter a particular profession, as RG has done, you have made a choice and must accept the consequences of making that choice.

Hopefully, the next CBA will bring change.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'd really like to be a fly on the wall when Goodell gets RG's request for reinstatement.

I'd be willing to wager his reaction would be extremely interesting, to say the least. :D

GenoT

Reaction score
I'd really like to be a fly on the wall when Goodell gets RG's request for reinstatement.

I'd be willing to wager his reaction would be extremely interesting, to say the least. :D
I believe Goodell and the league realize how hard RG’s worked to overcome his cannabis dependency. IMO, if he presents himself well, Goodell might be inclined to give him, at most, a slap on the wrist for this most recent infraction.

As xwalker pointed out, RG didn’t test dirty; he merely missed a test. The commish does have some discretionary leeway here, which is why I think he’s granted Randy a meeting, rather than simply suspending him.

We can only hope.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Be that all as it may...

RG still managed to violate the rules per the current CBA, which he agreed to follow when he signed his first contract and became a member of the NFLPA, and is therefore subject to discipline under said rules.

I’ve smoked for over 50yrs and will continue to do so, but then I happen to be a musician and am under no professional obligation to refrain from smoking. I agree 100% about personal liberties, however, if/when you agree to give up certain liberties in order to enter a particular profession, as RG has done, you have made a choice and must accept the consequences of making that choice.

Hopefully, the next CBA will bring change.

No, if the policy could be shown to be in violation, then the fact that an employee agreed to it still does not make it acceptable.

Obviously Gregory has to deal with the consequences of his actions within the existing rules. I assumed that was obvious and didn't require being stated.

Dez should have held onto the ball in 2014 and the refs wouldn't have been given the opportunity to screw up the call. Dez had to live with the consequences of his actions.

Regardless of Dez screwing up that does not mean it was a good rule or good call.

As I said before, it's a big picture issue.

Big picture means beyond the scope of Randy Gregory specifically.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score

Even if you can add Gregory around Thanksgiving, that's a bonus. Unless Armstrong makes a huge improvement, Gregory is going to immediately be the 3rd best pass rushing DE. And like someone previously mentioned, there will be injuries around this time of season.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I can tell you first hand that the Cowboys basically had a live in baby sitter watching RG while he was suspended. NO tmuch different than discussed in that article. I am wondering though, how the hell is his parents living with him supposed to help. Wasnt his childhodd total ****? Wasnt it those same parents that cause dit to be such crap yo begin with? so how are they supposed to help him get better?

Im rooting like hell for the guy. I got to sit with him for 4 hours watching football 2years ago and he was super friendly to us.
I’m not sure where you got his parents were or are the problem. I haven’t read that.

His dad was in the navy 7 years(submarine hunter), attended and played at northwestern, and was a successful business man in the medical consulting field. His promotions did cause him to move the family often, but it’s hard to fault him for that.

I don’t think his mom was the problem either.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...boys-randy-gregory-talks-being-real-bad-place