News: Gregory to submit plan to NFL on Monday for reinstatement

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Assume what you will. I don't judge on unreported facts.

Facts? See my post above. I’m not assuming anything. If he missed a test, there’s only two reasons and I stated them above. There’s no third option.

glimmerman

Reaction score
That was what I heard a few months back, it was from a missed test. And we do not know the story or the reasoning behind that.
Same as I heard. There was talk during the season last year where that something had happened. Was week to week. He missed some practice time because he had to go to the principals office. I think if he failed a test that he would have been suspended immediately. There was a lot of conditions he had to meet and keep up with in order to play. Once your in the system they can random test you a annoying amount of times every month. The new CBA maybe they adjust that. I heard Irving say that a lot of players went to Mexico during the offseason because for some reason they can’t test you from there.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Facts? See my post above. I’m not assuming anything. If he missed a test, there’s only two reasons and I stated them above. There’s no third option.

Whatever dude, there can be more than a few reasons, but go ahead and assume away.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Who really knows. I hear he missed the test and heard he failed it early in the offseason. I also heard that JJ gave Gregory a extension after the failed/missed test. He is under contract through 2020. Maybe JJ knows something we don’t.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, one of the two I mentioned above, and it’s almost a certainty that he knew he wouldn’t pass the test. I’m still waiting on another excuse though.

I am not giving any excuse. Just saying we do not know the circumstances. Seems you just want to argue, when there is none.
Either you can't understand that or don't want to. So just stop with the stupid responses.

CooterBrown

Reaction score
Simple facts about mental health elude some people. Bi-polar disorder is not a result of a bad childhood. It is genetic and biological. People with bi-polar disorder often self-medicate with illegal substances. It is not Gregory's "fault" that he struggles to leave marijuana alone. He fights bigger personal demons than most of us can even imagine. To someone like Gregory, it is not the simple matter of logically saying, "I can make a lot of money and be financially set for life if I just leave marijuana alone until after I retire." The marijuana helps him keep the demons away and to him, that is far more important than money. (There have been some studies that indicate prolonged marijuana use actually increases psychosis in those that have mental health issues.)
Personally, I strongly oppose legalization of marijuana, but I honestly cannot understand why the NFL cares. I can see where if players are being arrested for criminal conduct it could produce bad publicity for the league, but if there is no law enforcement involvement, how does it hurt the league?

dogberry

Reaction score
During the regular season up to 6 random tests can be administered to players who haven’t failed a drug test?

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I am not giving any excuse. Just saying we do not know the circumstances. Seems you just want to argue, when there is none.
Either you can't understand that or don't want to. So just stop with the stupid responses.

Yeah, that’s pretty much the type of response I expected. LOL

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Only if your in the drug program. For those that aren’t in the program your only tested for drugs once a year. If you pass then they don’t bother you again till next year. A random test between April and August. He got himself in it so bad that they can test him when ever they want for the rest of his time in the NFL. Maybe because he had t failed any and only missed 1 that goodell will have mercy.

Yes, I know the Feb time is because he is in the program but even in June the players are supposed to be on their own time between the end of OTAs and training camp.

The policy is backwards. Once a player not in the program passes the annual test, they can smoke out during the season. The policy should have the goal of preventing players from doing it during the season.

Obviously the NFLPA agreed to the rules but individual players could challenge the necessity of testing in their off-time. Like the example of requiring a man to wear womens clothes to work (Dustin Hoffman had to do that for a movie) there would need to be a.reason that it would impact the corporation if players smoke weed in the off-season. As of now the fact that it's not completely legal keeps it from being challenged.

Companies can test for alcohol which is legal; however, if you fail that test it means you were currently under the influence. With Weed you can fail a test up to a month after consuming.

Companies don't test for alcohol in your off time unless it's within the time frame that you could still be under the influence when you report to work (i.e. less than 24 hours).

A patient prescribed medical marijuana is considered as having a “disability” under the New York State Human Rights Law.

An NFL player in New York state could likely challenge the NFL Weed policy, especially the off-season testing if the player has a medical marijuana prescription.

There have been wins and losses in court by employees that were punished for testing positive for Weed.

Even Federal courts are reluctant to over-ride state law that considers medical marijuana users as protected by Human Right Law. The specifics of the laws in each state was often cited in court cases.

There are other Federal Laws that govern rules for certain types of jobs (airline pilot, bus drivers, etc..). Those types of jobs are unlikely to have many successful challenges.

Most likely the eventual result will be that employers must test for Weed during or very within 24 hours prior to work hours for Weed AND the levels will have to be such that the employee is considered impaired.

It's likely that the NFL policy gets changed before the changes mentioned above are commonplace. The CBA expires after the 2020 season and some amount of change to the Weed policy is highly likely then if not earlier.

It does not really benefit the NFL to constantly have players suspended and in the news for failing drug tests. That's what makes the policy a bit stupid in the first place.

Obviously performance drugs are a completely different issue. That's just cheating which can't be tolerated in sports. I do think the specifics of those rules will be debated between the NFL and NFLPA because players don't want to be walking on eggshells with regards to fear of accidentally taking a banned substance from nutritional supplements.

Also the issue of legal prescriptions or supplements required for other reasons is a problematic area. Former Cowboys coach Wade Wilson was suspended for taking something to help with his health issues from being diabetic. There is minimal performance enhancement for many things that will cause a failed test under current policy. Even a prescription for daily use of Adderall and those types of drugs is minimal compared to the steroids that were commonly used in the seventies and eighties by NFL players.

Summary:
I really can't see any valid reasons that NFL players need to be tested for Weed in the parts of the off-season away any organized team activities.

If they do something that is negative for NFL PR that should be handled under the conduct policy even if it was caused from using drugs.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
During the regular season up to 6 random tests can be administered to players who haven’t failed a drug test?
I believe you are referring to PED testing. Pot is supposedly once between 4/20 and August if not already in the program.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Yes, I know the Feb time is because he is in the program but even in June the players are supposed to be on their own time between the end of OTAs and training camp.

The policy is backwards. Once a player not in the program passes the annual test, they can smoke out during the season. The policy should have the goal of preventing players from doing it during the season.

Obviously the NFLPA agreed to the rules but individual players could challenge the necessity of testing in their off-time. Like the example of requiring a man to wear womens clothes to work (Dustin Hoffman had to do that for a movie) there would need to be a.reason that it would impact the corporation if players smoke weed in the off-season. As of now the fact that it's not completely legal keeps it from being challenged.

Companies can test for alcohol which is legal; however, if you fail that test it means you were currently under the influence. With Weed you can fail a test up to a month after consuming.

Companies don't test for alcohol in your off time unless it's within the time frame that you could still be under the influence when you report to work (i.e. less than 24 hours).

A patient prescribed medical marijuana is considered as having a “disability” under the New York State Human Rights Law.

An NFL player in New York state could likely challenge the NFL Weed policy, especially the off-season testing if the player has a medical marijuana prescription.

There have been wins and losses in court by employees that were punished for testing positive for Weed.

Even Federal courts are reluctant to over-ride state law that considers medical marijuana users as protected by Human Right Law. The specifics of the laws in each state was often cited in court cases.

There are other Federal Laws that govern rules for certain types of jobs (airline pilot, bus drivers, etc..). Those types of jobs are unlikely to have many successful challenges.

Most likely the eventual result will be that employers must test for Weed during or very within 24 hours prior to work hours for Weed AND the levels will have to be such that the employee is considered impaired.

It's likely that the NFL policy gets changed before the changes mentioned above are commonplace. The CBA expires after the 2020 season and some amount of change to the Weed policy is highly likely then if not earlier.

It does not really benefit the NFL to constantly have players suspended and in the news for failing drug tests. That's what makes the policy a bit stupid in the first place.

Obviously performance drugs are a completely different issue. That's just cheating which can't be tolerated in sports. I do think the specifics of those rules will be debated between the NFL and NFLPA because players don't want to be walking on eggshells with regards to fear of accidentally taking a banned substance from nutritional supplements.

Also the issue of legal prescriptions or supplements required for other reasons is a problematic area. Former Cowboys coach Wade Wilson was suspended for taking something to help with his health issues from being diabetic. There is minimal performance enhancement for many things that will cause a failed test under current policy. Even a prescription for daily use of Adderall and those types of drugs is minimal compared to the steroids that were commonly used in the seventies and eighties by NFL players.

Summary:
I really can't see any valid reasons that NFL players need to be tested for Weed in the parts of the off-season away any organized team activities.

If they do something that is negative for NFL PR that should be handled under the conduct policy even if it was caused from using drugs.
They test every player around the start of mini camps and usually have it all done before season starts. If you pass and aren’t in the program then yep, you can show up to work and play high, and not just weed but I guess any street drug. As long as you don’t get arrested or flaunt using on social media then they leave you alone. They have went as far as raising the amount that can be in your system for weed.

They don’t want you to fail. You know when your tested pretty much. They want you to pass. Likely doing this as formality for insurance purposes.

But if your in the system or the program it’s different. I am sure your aware and know the steps of the program as far as being tested randomly. You have to fail plenty of times before they start testing you in the offseason. Which like you, I agree with them not testing players in the off time.

I have heard interviews with players that have said for every player you hear about in the program there is 5 more you don’t hear about. The players don’t really worry about the first step. They come into the season and fail. So they are randomly drug tested a few times for a month, if they pass they’re done and out of the program. You have to get into stage 3 or something before they test you for a year. Once you get to Gregory’s level then you have failed about 8 tests. Then your tested at any time for the remainder of your career. If you want to work and make the millions then you take the tests.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
LOL. Anybody that believes that should be checked for brain damage. If it’s a fact that he missed a test, there’s only two possible reasons. One, he knew he was going to fail it (this is 99.999% the reason). Two, he’s the absolute dumbest person on earth. There’s NO reason to miss a test if he was clean. Being in the program, he knows a missed test is just as bad as a failed test. If he was clean (LOL) and still missed the test he’s an absolute moron.

Hey if I’m betting I think he probably failed a test too because he got back on it but I give a 25% chance that he missed because I know once you’re in the program they get tested all the time and he could’ve missed it somehow.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Hey if I’m betting I think he probably failed a test too because he got back on it but I give a 25% chance that he missed because I know once you’re in the program they get tested all the time and he could’ve missed it somehow.
Yeah when you read the program when your in that phase they can test you ALOT. Like every other day if they want.