Guess we are gonna patchwork DT yet again?

EenonyMoose

Reaction score
Can't wait for one of the forbidden beat writers to ram up everyone's timeline next week.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Its funny but when Dallas had success under Jerry, they had some pretty good DT's. Tony Casillas, Danny Noonan, Russell Maryland, Leon Lett, Chad Hennings.

I'm not sure why Jerry copies some of his 90's lessons but ignores others. The safety thing was outright weird for a while. Thankfully Quinn seems to have convinced Jerry that safeties matter.

Sydla

Reaction score
What they are doing is just gonna wait and hope a few of these guys maybe like a Robinson is still sitting out there mid to late next week and then try to sign them for cheap. Hope it works.

But it’s annoying that instead of just going and getting players they think will help, they’d rather just cross their fingers and hope a guy they like just gets desperate.

EenonyMoose

Reaction score
What they are doing is just gonna wait and hope a few of these guys maybe like a Robinson is still sitting out there mid to late next week and then try to sign them for cheap. Hope it works.

But it’s annoying that instead of just going and getting players they think will help, they’d rather just cross their fingers and hope a guy they like just gets desperate.
lol, chillll. This one's gonna work out.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Hankins may not want to sign now and do all the off-season work plus camp.

Maybe he wants to do his own workouts and sign mid season for a million and change or so.

I’d guess he wants 4-5 million to sign now and Dallas wants to pay about half that.

Hankins can bide his time in that case given what these DT types are getting.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
And the saddest part of all is that we got a monstrous sample of what a NT who is just above average can do for a D. First time we've been able to stop the run in the playoffs since when, 09? I know Jerry sees what he wants to see, but geez, how in the world do you miss that?
Good point!, but they will find a way to resign Hankins or find a replacement or 2.
Watkins is underrated too! I would like to resign him.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Guys like Hankins and Carlos Watkins are going to be around for the second and third wave of free agency. The Cowboys made their "big" moves in the first wave even though it involved two of their own and a trade acquisition.

They will find DT help, it just won't be a name that excites the fan base. They will then rely on the draft. It's the way this team operates.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Its funny but when Dallas had success under Jerry, they had some pretty good DT's. Tony Casillas, Danny Noonan, Russell Maryland, Leon Lett, Chad Hennings.

I'm not sure why Jerry copies some of his 90's lessons but ignores others. The safety thing was outright weird for a while. Thankfully Quinn seems to have convinced Jerry that safeties matter.
Because Jerry wasn’t responsible for the personnel of 90s SB teams. But I see you point that since Jerry was there he should know the importance of DTs in 4-3. Even most fans know that.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not sure if team would be interested in a 2 down DL that doesn't add to pass rush in the 1st, but I think he's exactly what Dallas needs to shore up the run D.
The smart teams often take them late 1st. Hard to say, I don't know what NFL teams in general think of him. He's got the feet that Vanilla lacked.

kskboys

Reaction score
Jerry didn’t take a DT in 1991, Jimmy did.

But the last time we did draft a DT in the 1st was 2005 when we took Marcus Spears.

4-3 teams normally load up on the DL, but we tend to wait til the 3rd/4th round and end up with Jags. It’s asinine.
And in the mid to later rounds, we focus on height, which is why we get guys w/ no sand in their pants.

Acheman08

Reaction score
Booger has never seen DT or S as a sexy pick, he'd rather take OL.

He's a follow the ball GM so RB, WR, TE and OL will be foremost on his mind.
Im shocked he even cares about OL. I assumed he would have a center and then a bunch of WR's lined up on either side. DT and S have been an ongoing issue for many years.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think Jerry listens to anyone.
He listens to the yes people. A man that does not like to admit mistakes or that he was wrong will never surround himself with friction.

I think the smart ones like McClay use the son to get to him. He will have a much better chance of swaying Booger.

When anyone only works part-time as a GM and doesn't discharge all the duties the job demands, they are at the mercy of other voices. That is compounded by ego.

kskboys

Reaction score

My guess is that he's purely a follow-the-ball sort, and has no clue what both the DLine and Oline meant to that team. Plus, those teams were D teams w/ ball control O. How did he not notice that?

kskboys

Reaction score
Okay, semantics but you are probably right. Maryland was clearly Jimmy's pick.
At that time, Jerry had nothing to do w/ players selection, so it was.

Dall originally traded up to get Rocket Ismael. We traded 3 early firsts, all top 14, to get Ismael. But, Ismael took off for Canada, so we used it on Maryland.