Guess who lead the league in INTs

Carson

Reaction score
I don't think they "let him go", I think he did finish out his contract.

The part that bothers me is how they ever thought that Nolan Carroll was somehow an adequate replacement. They obviously did, because they showed interest in him for two years straight. In 2016, when they were pressuring Carr to take a pay cut, and again in 2017, when they had a first-come, first-served contract offer on the table. Carroll took it, and Carr got a better deal in Baltimore.

Carr isn't great, but Carroll looks incompetent.

Simply put we don't spend on defense. We're bargain shoppers.

Carr - 4 years, 24 million.
Carroll - 3 years, 10 million.

We sign guys like Mayowa, Thornton, Moore. It's likely Rod and his wonderful scheme.

It's bend don't break which is fine ... unless our offense struggles. Then we see what it was last week

Sydla

Reaction score
Carr is better than Carroll. I said it when Carroll showed up on our radar again and I'll say it now.

That being said, Carr is an average CB himself. So the only reason I would cry over spilled milk here is because Carr left only to see us bring in a worse vet thinking he was actually better.

Sydla

Reaction score
Head coaches usually get credit or blame for team performance, not life events. Silly.

It's amazing how people view a head coach when they like him. They have to shield him from criticism by saying things like "he doesn't call plays, he doesn't pick players" but if the team goes on a winning streak, they expect all the detractors to line up and praise the head coach?

Why? He didn't call plays that worked. He doesn't pick the players who succeeded.

I mean is that the logic we are going to go with?

Sydla

Reaction score
Or you could blame the coach that actually draws up the scheme and coaches the defense...not getting consistent pressure and giving 10 yard cushions in coverage has been a constant theme for the D in Dallas for a while now

Absolutely.

So if/when the defense turns the corner and starts playing well and it helps us win games or maybe actually wins us a game where the offense fails, don't come here and demand that people give Garrett props for a big win or string of wins.

You can't have it both ways.

Sydla

Reaction score
Dallas was 5th in the league in scoring defense last year, we just held NYG to 3 points in week 1.

Carry on with your overreaction from one game.

Largely because of limited drives. When you adjusted scoring to points per possession, the Cowboys fell right into the middle of the pack.

In other words, the defense was pretty much average in 2016. So really, it's not an overreaction to one game. It's largely a continuation of a problem from an average to below average defense in 2016.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Carr is better than Carroll. I said it when Carroll showed up on our radar again and I'll say it now.

That being said, Carr is an average CB himself. So the only reason I would cry over spilled milk here is because Carr left only to see us bring in a worse vet thinking he was actually better.

That sums it up nicely. The trouble is that Carroll is significantly worse than Carr, by a large margin.

But I have to also point out that this week's playcalling and coverage did nobody any favors. The coaches handcuffed their own players as well.

Sydla

Reaction score
That sums it up nicely. The trouble is that Carroll is significantly worse than Carr, by a large margin.

But I have to also point out that this week's playcalling and coverage did nobody any favors. The coaches handcuffed their own players as well.

I've never banged a drum louder over a bad player like I have with Carroll. I've been annoyingly vocal about his crappiness. It started two years ago when they brought him in for a visit and tried to sign him and people thought he would be a shrewd signing.

I am sure the board can't wait until he's gone so they can enjoy me shutting up my overbearing mouth about him. :laugh:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've never banged a drum louder over a bad player like I have with Carroll. I've been annoyingly vocal about his crappiness. It started two years ago when they brought him in for a visit and tried to sign him and people thought he would be a shrewd signing.

I am sure the board can't wait until he's gone so they can enjoy me shutting up my overbearing mouth about him. :laugh:

5130029+_253454a9c868d2ceb1131e4201330824.jpg

;)

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Move to a good defense and become a good player. Wouldn't be the first time.

It amazes me that fans fail to understand that this is a team game. No player is as good as he can be without other good players around him. With corners, if you can't pressure the QB, then they are going to get beat and not get as many turnovers. With pass rushers, if you don't have corners who can cover for a few seconds, they are not going to get sacks. With linebackers, if you don't have DL who can tie up blockers, they are not going to make plays.

We do far too much singling out individual play without considering the whole picture. I'm guilty of that as well at times.

Brandon Carr was a very good corner before we signed him and is now making plays after he left us to go to a better defense. Logic should leave us with one conclusion about why he didn't play as well here.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Or you could blame the coach that actually draws up the scheme and coaches the defense...not getting consistent pressure and giving 10 yard cushions in coverage has been a constant theme for the D in Dallas for a while now

So, maybe being that Garrett is the head coach, he might try and do something about that?

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So throw another 50 mil at one corner or keep the other who can't stay on the field for more than 5 games. Overpay for guys who aren't producing. same ol' same ol'
Or give him a pass rush
What a concept

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score

Yes, or you could call him a puppet if he has no say in those matters. Your call.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Dallas was 5th in the league in scoring defense last year, we just held NYG to 3 points in week 1.

Carry on with your overreaction from one game.

You are using the Giants as the benchmark now?

They have the worst o line in the league and probably won't win more than 5 games this season.